Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Touran MPV - Bite sized hire car review!
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 1

Volkswagen Touran MPV - Bite sized hire car review! - PeterS
Murcia for a couple of day at the beginning of the week... Flight to Alicante and a Audi A3 type car booked at Avis. We've upgraded you, the staff member was pleased to tell me... To a VW Touran 105 PS auto.. Not much of an upgrade, but in the hire car world bigger is better...

350 kms driven pretty much flat out on the autoroute meant it averaged 42 mpg. It was slow, but smooth gear changes. I put it in sport, which meant it held gears for longer. Purely physcological - I'm not sure it was any quicker!! And I discovered around 30 Kms from dropping it off that sport mode seemed to mean that 7th gear was never used. Didn't even know it had 7 gears ;)

12 months old and 40,000 kms on the clock meant it was well run in... Interior had stood up well, bar the rear seats which were in a terrible state. Difficult to comment on equipment levels as undoubtedly uk specs are different. But it was pretty basic. Climate and cruise, but a rubbish stereo, no front arm rest, no sat nav, no parking sensors. Nowhere to put a phone. And no usb socket.

Felt very stable at high speeds, but dull dull dull to drive. And to look at. We have no need for a people carrier, but the Citroen equivalent looks so much nicer.

Summary? It's a car. Reliable but dull. I can never imagine wanting, owning, or feeling pleased that I had one!!
 Volkswagen Touran MPV - Bite sized hire car review! - Runfer D'Hills
Ive had a couple of MPVs back along as alternatives to estate cars. The first one, a Galaxy, was actually ok to drive and comfortable enough, the Espace was a disaster, unreliable, uncomfortable and not even slightly pleasant to drive. If it had been a horse I'd have shot it.

Latest Forum Posts