Motoring Discussion > Renault considers killing off diesel engines Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 6

Renault considers killing off diesel engines - rtj70
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37287129

The first of many? I know I get close to a 2.0 diesel in my previous cars in this 1.4 turbo petrol DSG A3. But the BIK is lower. The Mazda6 diesel I had emitted 165g/km of CO2 and would get a 3% BIK hike.... frightening if you had one now for tax purposes. The Passat CC 2.0d 170PS was 129g/km.

Is the Renault news actually news at all or inevitable? Some might think diesel hybrids are a stop gap to full EV but there's the emissions.

I hope I can try a plugin hybrid soon. I'll see what I get as a courtesy car a week today when my Audi is serviced. Sods law says it's an A1 rather than something interesting like a TT or a plain old new A4. Or maybe I'll just get an A3 :-(
 Renault considers killing off diesel engines - Stuu
I mentioned this shortly after I returned here, so I am not surprised really, the whole emissions scandal has certainly had an effect.

My reasons for not running diesels often is that they are not always that economical in real world driving and I have yet to own one that I could reliably beat the combined mpg figure in, whereas I have often done so in petrols.

Hybrids are a nice idea, but by the time they get to the ten year old mark, they need new batteries to even be worth a look, so I prefer lightweight cars which do away with the complexity. I still hanker after an Audi A2 for that reason, although a customer of mine had one and found it diabolically unreliable, so I have never taken the plunge.
 Renault considers killing off diesel engines - mikeyb
>> I still hanker after an Audi A2
>> for that reason, although a customer of mine had one and found it diabolically unreliable,
>> so I have never taken the plunge.
>>

I know where there is an A2 going cheap......might need a bit of T cut though
 Renault considers killing off diesel engines - The Melting Snowman
Shame if they do. I've always found Renault diesels to be about the best 4-cylinder ones available, years ahead of some in terms of refinement. It was the rest of the car which let the package down - based on my ownership experience.
 Renault considers killing off diesel engines - Stuu
>>I know where there is an A2 going cheap......might need a bit of T cut though <<

The wife is on about one of those screaming baby things, so I shall be trying to aim for a Merc estate if I can manage it - may be the only time I can justify it, although I keep looking longingly at Saabs too...
 Renault considers killing off diesel engines - PeterS
I think he might be referring to this ;)

i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/C4P_PeterS/Audi%20A2/image_zpslhokrhor.jpeg
 Renault considers killing off diesel engines - rtj70
Maybe Renault are going to drop diesels when their variable compression ratio petrol engine is perfected. Soon to be seen in an Infinity.

arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2016/08/inifiniti-will-debut-a-variable-compression-ratio-engine-in-september/

We'll know more in the Paris Motor Show.

Is this just making engines even more complex. Maybe we do need electric motors!
Latest Forum Posts