Motoring Discussion > Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 15

Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - Robin O'Reliant
If you have half hour to spare, here's how cars were built before robots and computers took over -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJPFRNO344
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - MD
Half AN hour please. No text speak here. 0-:)
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - No FM2R
Love it. I used to work at Elliots of Reading grinding cranks and sleeving/boring blocks.

I recognise and have used some of those machines. Somewhere between nostalgic and depressing.

Its a housing estate now, I think.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 20:02
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - legacylad
Thanks for that
Can you still get a tour of the Aston factory at Newport Pagnell, if it exists?
I'm going to have a look now... I had a tour years ago with a friend. Must be years ago since I remember driving down from W Yorks in my H reg Saab 9000.
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - legacylad
Newport Pagnell AM works closed 2007
Ah well, at least I can say I had a good look around
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - rtj70
>> I used to work at Elliots of Reading grinding cranks and sleeving/boring blocks.

No surprise... you've worked everywhere. You probably stacked sunsets near there too from your wide and varied old jobs ;-)
Been working since I was 13 and pretty well full time since I was 15. Plenty of time to do plenty of stuff.

Usually driven by self interest. At that particular time Elliots did very good, very expensive, re-chroming / electro-plating and I was doing up a Matchless G12 and making a Café Racer out of a Dominator SS.

If one is working there, then one can slip an awful lot of private jobs through.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 23:41
I love auto-correct. You may have stacked sunsets but I typed sunbeds :-) I think sunsets was better because I know you've worked in many jobs and the world is probably better for it.
I did wonder, and I've been racking my brains to think of something in the Caversham area related to Sunsets, trying to work out what I'd forgotten. I feel better now.

Lagos. I stacked sunbeds in Lagos. And a b***** great time it was too.
:-)

Heavy work stacking a sunset :-)
Really? I would have thought it would have been light work.
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - tyrednemotional
....variable shifts, though.....
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - Robin O'Reliant
Wages are sky high, though.
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - tyrednemotional
...not long before burn-out, though......
 Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - Runfer D'Hills
Fascinating film RO'R. Modern day health and safety would no doubt squirm at the lack of protective eye wear, bare hands while using grinding machines, people smoking while working etc.

The other noticeable thing for me was the lack of parked cars and traffic in general on the outside shots.

Jaguar Factory Tour 1961 - VxFan
>> Half AN hour please.

Hancock's Half an Hour.

Nope, doesn't sound right.
Latest Forum Posts