Motoring Discussion > Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 17

Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - VxFan
Especially as it happened outside an opticians.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR57OtMdKU
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - sooty123
Quite impressive to get that high on the bonnet with no real run up.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - legacylad
Good effort. Wonder if the optician owned the Ferrari?
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Mapmaker
Hope the MB was ok.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Ian (Cape Town)
I hope the MB owner has to explain to her insurer.
Moronism is rife. But if she'd hit a bog standard Hertz-bait Chev, it wouldn't have been an issue
From my experience, many years back, the US test was not exactly challenging... just being insured was prime, as opposed to being competent.

Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Robin O'Reliant
>> Especially as it happened outside an opticians.
>>
>>
Coincidence, that. I went to my opticians this morning, parked in a bay round the corner after a quick glance at the sign made me think it was one of those "One hour allowed" things. It was actually a residents only bay and I had a ticket slapped on the screen when I came out.

Maybe I need those glasses more than I thought...
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Pat
That's funny RO'R:)

It's my sense of humour, it sometimes leaves a lot to be desired!

Pat
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - rtj70
The damage to the Ferrari wasn't as bad as I'd have expected. For a special edition then it's clearly expensive to fix by Ferrari.

If you can afford a $400k car then it's not the end of the world. You must have a lot more money if you put that much into a car. On the other hand, it will never be the same again.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Mapmaker
>> If you can afford a $400k car then it's not the end of the world.
>> You must have a lot more money if you put that much into a car.

Is that true? You *ought* to have a lot more money, but we all know people do silly things with cars. Maybe he has it on the never never.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Slidingpillar
Is that true? You *ought* to have a lot more money, but we all know people do silly things with cars. Maybe he has it on the never never.

Would not surprise me at all. The woman who sued Stanley Mann for misrepresenting a 4.5 litre Bentley bought it on borrowed money and expected to finance the deal from the increase in value. Prices hiccuped and she sued Stanley. He did in fact do more than he was obliged to, but she still carried on suing. After a court case and an appeal, she lost and I shudder to think what the cost to her was. Not one she could afford either.

From what I heard, she never drove the car. You'd not see me for dust if I got behind the wheel of one!
Would not surprise me at all. The woman who sued Stanley Mann

Who's he?
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Manatee
>> Would not surprise me at all. The woman who sued Stanley Mann
>>
>> Who's he?

A well known car collector. Died recently.

It was a Speed Six.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/9131682/Appeal-upheld-over-rare-vintage-Bentley.html

What Stanley Mann said is more or less true. I saw a couple of rusted out XK120s auctioned a few years ago for £18,000 each. They were scrap really, but built up with the right parts and restored to new condition they could be registered and presented as "a 1953 Jaguar XK120".

Of course the more "historic" the car and its connections, the more interesting this gets. Nick Mason's 250GTO will certainly have been repaired a few times, and if it was more or less wrecked in an accident and properly rebuilt it would still be worth the same, maybe £40m, when a perfect replica would be worth nothing like as much.

youtu.be/SnWOydAHLHk

Historic cars drive their value from something intangible, but usually connected with their individual history and who owned them. And rarity of course, although not all rare cars are valuable.

There's a lot of grumbling at the moment about certification of historic cars, with new rules coming in for "historic technical passports" that are arguably far too stringent, given that when many of the cars in question weren't historic, the people who were racing them originally were quite likley to have swapped all sorts of parts around. And if you are racing a historic car today, how much sense does it make for it to have to be in original factory condition, when the modifications and improvements that were made in its early life are themselves part of its history?

If you are interested in this stuff you might like to read this -

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorsport/10781044/New-historic-race-car-rules-under-fire.html
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 10 Aug 16 at 16:09
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - rtj70
>> What Stanley Mann said is more or less true. I saw a couple of rusted
>> out XK120s auctioned a few years ago for £18,000 each. They were scrap really, but
>> built up with the right parts and restored to new condition they could be registered
>> and presented as "a 1953 Jaguar XK120".
>>

So presumably in a similar vain to Trigger's broom in Only Fools and Horses, if most of the car is replaced during the restoration you can still present it as a '53 XK120. My uncle has a rather nice XK140 which hasn't needed to be restored.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Slidingpillar
It was a Speed Six.

Whoops - hangs head in shame.
>> >> Would not surprise me at all. The woman who sued Stanley Mann
>> >>
>> >> Who's he?
>>
>> A well known car collector. Died recently.

Cheers, can't say it rings any bells though.
All sorts of things are leased, such as aircraft any car in comparison is trival money, why not lease a super car. As long as you can afford the repayments.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - Robin O'Reliant
>> That's funny RO'R:)
>>
>> It's my sense of humour, it sometimes leaves a lot to be desired!
>>
>> Pat
>>
The last time I got a ticket was twenty years ago in Kent. And that was also on a visit to an opticians.
 Mercedes hits Ferrari. Now that's embarrassing - legacylad
I recently got a ticket in Benidorm
Queuing at the queso counter in the local Mercadona
Latest Forum Posts