Motoring Discussion > Tailpipes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 14

Tailpipes - WillDeBeest
Let's get nerdy. The other evening on the way home I followed a badgeless, newish BMW 3 estate. It was smartly driven - zipped past the one dawdler in the one safe overtaking spot quickly enough to leave space for me to follow, and took the big hill that follows at full A-road speed, as few seem to manage. So I deduce it was one of the six-cylinder models.

What caught my eye, though was the exhausts: one each side, but my impression was that I could see right into the one on the right, while the left one seemed to be closed by a shiny disc. It was a sunny evening, so the contrast between the two was striking and consistent. Was I imagining it, or is there some technical reason I don't know about?
 Tailpipes - sooty123
They are blanked up, part of the image/marketing/what have you, but not required.
 Tailpipes - Runfer D'Hills
Prompted by this, I've just been and peered up my twin exhausts, never ever an easy thing to do elegantly, but I'm pleased to say they are both functional.
 Tailpipes - Rudedog
Maybe a flap to open/close depending on what kind of exhaust note you require, seen them on Jaguar V8s.
 Tailpipes - rtj70
Some of those rectangular chrome exhausts on both sides of the car are fake with a normal exhaust behind only one. And the real exhaust possibly pointing down to the road.

At least the diesel exhaust doesn't make them dirty :-)
 Tailpipes - bathtub tom
Seen similar on an Alfa I was helping a neighbour with. When I put my hand over one exhaust I suggested the RH bank wasn't firing. He replied that's a blank.
 Tailpipes - Lygonos
Seen quite a number of Golf R near where I live, with 4 exhausts on the back.

They all have soot on the centremost pipes and clean looking outer ones.

Intrigued by this I called my pal in Preston who has one - he says there is a valve that normally actuates at wide-open throttle - when closed it only uses the innermost pipes.

As he goes everywhere in 'Race' mode he has 4 sooty pipes as the valve is open all the time.
 Tailpipes - MD
My single exhaust pipe works just fine and satisfies my needs admirably. 😊
 Tailpipes - Ted

Remember those exhaust booster thingies that used to suck air in at speed to help the exhaust fumes get out quicker and improve performance ?

HaHa...gone the way of clip-on headrests, imitation bullet holes and so much more rubbish we bought with our early pay packets !
 Tailpipes - WillDeBeest
Er, no. I do remember head restraints that looked a bit like proper ones but just slipped over the top of the backrest. And great big round spotlamps on the front bumper.
 Tailpipes - bathtub tom
>great big round spotlamps on the
>> front bumper.

Had a couple of those rectangular stainless steel things set into the grille of my Maxi, relayed into the main beam. A wonderful enhancement and certainly gave a 'wake-up' call to those coming the other way that didn't dip soon enough.

Think they're still in my shed!
 Tailpipes - Duncan
>> HaHa...gone the way of clip-on headrests, imitation bullet holes and so much more rubbish we
>> bought with our early pay packets !
>>

What happened to those How-near-the-kerb-you-are-finder bits of wire things people had sticking out from the front wings?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_feeler

(It was a long time ago)
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 22 Jun 16 at 06:34
 Tailpipes - Cliff Pope
In my earlier motoring days there was a rule that tailpipes had to extend at least beyond the rear edge of the bumper. I remember failing an MOT but the tester found a short length of pipe of the right size and stuck a few inches on the end.

But now I see lots of exhaust pipes stop short underneath the bodywork - those would certainly have failed an MOT in the old days.
What's happened - is it because exhaust gas is not dangerous any more?
 Tailpipes - WillDeBeest
Really? The LEC's exhausts are not visible from behind the car. It was only when I was rummaging about on the ground to fit the towbar for the bike carrier that I noticed there are two of them.
 Tailpipes - Shiny
They are flaps that allow for a change in back pressure.
They are quite common on performance cars up to say 10 years old but can't think why they would be on one side only.
Latest Forum Posts