Motoring Discussion > Steel rim - repair or replace Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 9

Steel rim - repair or replace - Rudedog
My son has clipped a kerb and bent the steel rim on his Polo which lead to an instant deflate.

On inspection the rim is quite bent/creased in one part.

My question is would it be better to have a go beating it out or pay about £35 for a second hand rim? (I prefer the new option but my son wants to have a go at a repair)

Time is of the essence unfortunately as his MoT is due in several weeks, he has his spare on so I guess we need to have something to replace it as that is checked.

Looking at his tyre depths probably combine it with a pair of new fronts and put the spare back in the boot.
 Steel rim - repair or replace - Armel Coussine
That sounds sensible Rudedog.

I agree with you that a secondhand steel rim is a better idea than beating out the old one. Make sure the new one is straight though.

Cars cost you money all the time.
 Steel rim - repair or replace - CGNorwich
The Corrs say

"Love is just like a wheel,
Once you bend it, you can't mend it".

But that's not necessarily true

I think bent would be OK and sortable with a hammer. I damaged a hire car's wheel on a pothole in Greece a few years back and the local garage sorted it for me about ten minutes.

Creased is a different matter though and I think will needs replacement.

Tracking is almost certainly thrown out and need to be checked.

Steel rim - repair or replace - henry k
>> On inspection the rim is quite bent/creased in one part.
>>
If that affects the tyre bead sealing on the rim then bin it.

>> ..... his MoT is due in several weeks, he has his spare on so I guess we need to have something to replace it as that is checked.
>>
The spare is NOT checked

Steel rim - repair or replace - sooty123
I'd just fit another one if it's that badly damaged. I'm surprised they are even £35 tbh i thought they'd be ten a penny.
 Steel rim - repair or replace - Rudedog
That's what I thought but trawling through eBay for the correct dimensions pulls up about £35 delivered.

Regarding MoT and the spare, why is it then after my tests I can tell that they have looked in the boot and moved things around, I guessed that they had checked the spare?

I think I'll take out the old tyre and put it in the garage just to be sure, maybe it's if you have one then it has to be roadworthy?
 Steel rim - repair or replace - Robin O'Reliant
There is no requirement to even have a spare, let alone a roadworthy one. As said, it is not part of the MoT test.
 Steel rim - repair or replace - Ted

Spare isn't checked but boot floor is checked for corrosion. I guess the spare wheel well is as well, although it's quite a few years since I held an inspectors ticket. I recollect that you couldn't remove shopping/golf clubs and stuff but you could get a fair check from under the car.

Cars don't corrode like in the old BL days though.
 Steel rim - repair or replace - jc2
Checking for corrosion around the rear suspension and body possibly?
 Steel rim - repair or replace - sooty123
>> That's what I thought but trawling through eBay for the correct dimensions pulls up about
>> £35 delivered.

Right I'd forgotten the p&p part, none nearby you could drive to? Easy way to save a few quid, probably less than half if you collect I'd bet.
I bought an alloy as a spare with tyre delivered for £50.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 19 Jun 16 at 12:16
Latest Forum Posts