Motoring Discussion > Badge manhood
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 29

Badge manhood - WillDeBeest
No engine badges on either of mine, LEC (E220 but easily distinguished by concealed exhausts and 16-inch wheels) or chariot (mid-range 325 but with the same twin pipes as a 330.) Since both decisions were made by people I don't know, what do we make of their respective manhoods?

Incidentally, a 325 similar to mine passed me on the M4 this morning and I thought it looked a bit untidy because there isn't really room for badges. Conversely, the E220 has plenty of space and looks a bit bare without them, like the, erm, over-trimmed ladies one accidentally finds on the Internet. Gosh, is that the time?

moved to a stand alone thread, seeing as it's nothing to do with cycling, where it originally was
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 18 May 16 at 01:47
 Badge manhood - Runfer D'Hills
>>what do we make of their respective manhoods

🔎
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
When I was younger my friend Derek had a Yamaha RD200. He put RD400 stickered side panels on it. The two bikes were quite easily distinguishable by appearance, not to mention performance, much more so than RD250/RD400 so nobody was fooled.

Now, I get Runfer's point about keeping your powerful car a secret; I even to an extent understand hiding the fact that your car is not powerful. Put pretending that it is powerful?

No, that really is a penis problem.
 Badge manhood - Old Navy
Maybe I should put a "Turbo" badge on the back of my Yaris. It is a 1.4 turbo diesel. No, the weight of the badge would ruin it's acceleration. :-)
When 1.6 Cortinas were the default company car, there were those who used to turn the 1.6 badge upside down so it looked ( sort of ) like 9.1.

Edit - don't suppose you could make a 220 look like a 550 ? Nah, dumb idea...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 17 May 16 at 20:39
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
When I first had a company car they came from (I think) PHH.

A colleague who was awarded a car at the same time as me went out and bought new floor mats, tax disc holder and key ring to remove all evidence that it was a company car.

Conversely I was rather chuffed that someone else wanted to pay for my car for me.
Aye, I'll drink to that one ! Anyway, what have you been doing to yourself to end up in a Chilean hospital ? Homemade kebab mishap?
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
A 30 minute bit of keyhole surgery with a walk away from the hospital that evening quickly developed into a 4 1/2hr procedure with a quite different recovery timescale.

s*** happens, I guess.

On the good side I have now had a full MOT and appear to be otherwise entirely healthy; although one should bear in mind that I'm writing this from a hospital bed.
Ouch that's not good. Hope you improve soon. Could your wife not have done it cheaper though? She must have all the right tools? And you'd have been out by now, albeit with one of those cones round your head to stop you chewing your wound.

;-)
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
She said the same. I didn't like the way she was smiling when she said it.
 Badge manhood - tyrednemotional
...all because he decided to get "E63" tatooed on his a*se......

..but seriously - quick recovery old chap!
;-))))))
 Badge manhood - devonite
Should change thread title to: De-bagged Manhood! - seriously though, Ouch!!!
 Badge manhood - Kevin
>.. albeit with one of those cones round your head to stop you chewing your wound.

I thought it was only dogs that could reach that area.
Yoga, it's the future...

;-)
 Badge manhood - Tigger
>> A colleague who was awarded a car at the same time as me went out
>> and bought new floor mats, tax disc holder and key ring to remove all evidence
>> that it was a company car....

My company leased a very nice BMW330d estate for me.

Rather than the number plates, mats and key ring supplied by the lease company, the dealer fitted their own. Didn't bother me either way.

That was a lovely car to drive. I even had the lease extended by an extra six months.
 Badge manhood - rtj70
Last few cars I've had should have had lease company floor mats. The dealer was meant to fit them but they fitted the correct ones and left the cheap lease company ones in the boot :-)
 Badge manhood - NortonES2
FM2R reminded me of my youth, when a local guy with a Triumph Tiger Cub equipped it with a dustbin fairing and open pipe to commute to his work. Nothing wrong with the little Cub of all of 200 mild cc's, but a Cub and a dustbin fairing?
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
You probably wouldn't be interested in buying this then, Norton

automotoclassicsale.com/node/5883
Well I suppose there is a formula for racing Bantams. Made me smile! Not seen that site before - Iintend to worry SWMBO although I have clearance. I suspect it's the imminent Lasting Power of Attorney that sweetens the pill….
The Bridgestone 350 GTR has always fascinated me, since the reports in Motorcycle Sport of MRW. automotoclassicsale.com/node/3513

Modern successor to the Scott twin, formerly of Shipley.

Apparently Bridgestone were leaned on by other Japanese makers to give up the bike division and stick to tyres. Too much competition.
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
>>Not seen that site before

Then you, of all people, should hang your head in shame.....

automotoclassicsale.com/node/18062
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 17 May 16 at 22:16
 Badge manhood - No FM2R
However, I am pleased to see that you have been bitten by the site. I spend many a happy dreaming hour in there.
This was mine: www.flickr.com/photos/malahide/27011869311/in/dateposted-public/

To be exact, 1966 Norton ES2 Mk2. A bitsa from AMC.

Taken in 1970 probably, on the road to Buxton Derbyshire, where I now live. Bike was still on the road until recently. Sold in 1971 as the student funds were low...
 Badge manhood - bathtub tom
>> Then you, of all people, should hang your head in shame.....
>> automotoclassicsale.com/node/18062

Interesting exhaust on that?
 Badge manhood - R.P.
Never thought of de-badging a car or bike. Had a close up look at a proper RD350LC yesterday though. So small compared to the bikes of today....
 Badge manhood - jc2
There was a time when you had to pay extra to have your Mercedes or BMW supplied with a plain boot lid.
 Badge manhood - legacylad
Is de badging a free optional extra now? But why would you unless you had a brain problem. It is what it is.
 Badge manhood - WillDeBeest
I don't see the problem, really. Yes, it's a no-cost option with MB, Audi, BMW, and it was with Volvo in 2002 when I specified my S60 without a D5 badge because it looked neater that way. It's really no-one else's business what engine a car has, so it's purely an aesthetic choice for me. Autotragics like us will spot the distinguishing wheels and exhausts anyway, and no-one else (apart from our insurers and the DVLA) really cares.
 Badge manhood - R.P.
When I bought the T5 I did joke in the Dealer's asking them if they would put a D2 and accompanying skinny latte e-bluegreen nonsense....down badging is OK. There was an unmarked Police Mondeo V6 with Tdi badges along one of my regular biking routes in the 90s..
Latest Forum Posts