Motoring Discussion > More fudged tests. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 50

More fudged tests. - Old Navy
news.sky.com/story/1681883/mitsubishi-admits-faking-fuel-economy-tests
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Apr 16 at 19:27
 More fuged tests. - Stuartli
I forecast in these forums that other manufacturers' names would come to light when the VW story broke last year.
 More fuged tests. - Dog
>>I forecast in these forums that other manufacturers' names would come to light when the VW story broke last year.

Could you forecast the result of the 15:30 at Catterick today for me please?
 More fuged tests. - Stuartli
>>Could you forecast the result of the 15:30 at Catterick today for me please?>>

Russian Royle at 20/1.
 More fuged tests. - Dog
>>Russian Royle at 20/1.

Owned by Raypasha - could have been a clue there.
 More fuged tests. - Auristocrat
The story relates to four mini-car models (presumably kei class cars) manufactured by Mitsubishi and Nissan.
 More fuged tests. - Old Navy
I won't go down the thin edge or no smoke without routes but judging by their share price as reported in the story someone is not impressed.
 More fuged tests. - TheManWithNoName
At least we on this forum can intelligently surmise that in addition to Shakespeare, Dickens, Hardy, Bronte and J K Rowling, the other great works of fiction are manufacturer's mpg claims and emissions test results.

;-)
 More fuged tests. - WillDeBeest
Does 'fuged' mean they started the second test before the first had finished?
No it's my duff spelling.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Apr 16 at 16:34
 More fudged tests. - WillDeBeest
Where's Avant when we need him?
};---)
 More fudged tests. - Runfer D'Hills
Practising on his organ probably.
 More fudged tests. - Armel Coussine
>> Where's Avant when we need him?

Of course Avant is very necessary, but why do we need him now in particular? He isn't the only person who can spell fudged correctly.
Even I could a few seconds after the edit cut off. :-)
Well, toccata long story short, because he might know what a fugue is.
};---)
I suspect that is why the tread title has been moderated. :-)
Not having the best of days with the typing fingers are we, ON?
};---)
It's late, I am old, knackered and the sun is well over the garden fence.:-)
 More fudged tests. - Alanovich
>> Well, toccata long story short, because he might know what a fugue is.
>> };---)

Given the nationality of this latest miscreant manufacturer, I was thinking the thread title was a reference to a highly dangerous kind of sushi, the sort only an expert chef can prepare without killing people. But blow that. ;-)
 More fudged tests. - PeterS
Mitsubishi? That explains where Z has gone ;)
 More fudged tests. - stan10
All this stuff (including the VW business) is really the fault of the vote seeking politicians, who have absolutely no knowledge of the real world.

Do we really think that car manufacturers wouldn't develop more economical and/or less polluting veehickles, knowing that they would sell like hot cakes, as soon as they could ?

After all, they want your money don't they? (LED Headlights - buy this car NOW. Built in Sat Nav - buy this one QUICK. ABS, ESP, Lane Change, Park Assist, XYZ, 123, etc, All reasons to change our cars, and seperate us from our hard earned.

But technology goes at a pace, and politicians chasing votes before the next election is due, clearly think that the great unwashed will fall for the "we did" ..... etc. etc.

Imagine George Stephenson being told by Robert Banks Jenkinson, that he had to make "Rocket" travel at 80mph, instead of 36mph "before the next election" because he wanted to be re-elected, and such a thing would be popular, and grab him the votes.

Oh - and when i was a kid, one of my favourites was Cadburys Fudge YUM !
 More fudged tests. - bathtub tom
>>Oh - and when i was a kid, one of my favourites was Cadburys Fudge YUM !

As Stephen Fry said, allegedly, (IIRC):"A finger of fudge is just enough to give the kids a treat".
 More fudged tests. - Avant
You can do a lot of things with one finger (even type - which is where we came in on this), but you need a lot more than one for a fugue.

I'm surprised that Mr Fry didn't champion Turkish Delight.
 More fudged tests. - stan10
"As Stephen Fry said, allegedly, " ...

Anyone remember the chocolate bar called "Fry's 5 Boys" ?
(Make your own jokes up) !

Back to Mitsubishi, just remembered - weren't they accused of hiding mechanical problems in order to bump up their reliability scores some years ago ? (1990's ?)

Nothing to do with politicians though.
 More fudged tests. - Dutchie
It is so difficult to believe any advertising nonsense these days.Most of it is hype and take it all with a large dose of salt.

news.sky.com/story/1682956/cars-exceed-uk-pollution-limits-out-on-road
Heard on the wireless this afternoon that Suzuki have admitted (or been caught) fixing emmisions or fuel consumption figures and the boss has resigned.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 May 16 at 16:36
 More fudged tests. - Stuartli
Heard on the wireless this afternoon that Suzuki have admitted (or been caught) fixing emmisions or fuel consumption figures and the boss has resigned.>>

It's the Mitsubishi boss who resigned according to this link:

www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/emissions-scandal-latest-mitsubishi-president-steps-down-suzuki-involved

I said in these forums when the VW scandal broke out that eventually many other marques would be discovered to be involved.......
Maybe I miss heard the report, but Suzuki, emmisions and resigning were mentioned.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 May 16 at 19:14
 More fudged tests. - Dog
I heard that too ON, so either it's true or we're both loosing (as Zero would say) our marbles.
 More fudged tests. - mikeyb
You were right

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36319144

That makes a pleasant change, all I have to do now is convince Mrs ON that it is possible to me to be right. :-)
 More fudged tests. - jc2
ALL emission/economy tests in the EU are observed by government or government approved inspectors.This does not happen many other countries of the world(including the US)where the manufacturers carry out the tests unobserved and forward these results to the relevant authorities who may or may not call the vehicle in for observed testing.
Kizashi.
 More fudged tests. - tyrednemotional
>> Kizashi.
>>

...Gesundheit...
Kizashi.
Never get just one, do you?
 More fudged tests. - TheManWithNoName
According to that link...
"Any wrongdoing, such as manipulation of fuel efficiency data, were not found," Suzuki said.

That's alright then. We still know your claimed 65mpg is closer to 45mpg. Same as every other car maker's works of fiction then.
 More fudged tests. - Focusless
>> That's alright then. We still know your claimed 65mpg is closer to 45mpg. Same as
>> every other car maker's works of fiction then.

..although in this country the car makers are just quoting the results of the government's tests.
 More fudged tests. - jc2
Not the carmaker's work of fiction-just the result of the government test-and the inspectors check the vehicles for hot and cold start and driveability and also check random production vehicles.
 More fudged tests. - Dutchie
So the carmakers are the liars.Why not just be honest and give true figures of normal every day driving.If the figures are better that is a bonus.Everything these days is advertising hype.

Bill Hicks spoke the truth about it.
 More fudged tests. - Dog
Bill Hicks spoke the troof about a lot of things: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kmfqtSHv3g
 More fudged tests. - Slidingpillar
So the carmakers are the liars.Why not just be honest and give true figures of normal every day driving.If the figures are better that is a bonus.Everything these days is advertising hype.

Trouble is, if one manufacturer headlines 38 mpg in normal driving, but gets 60 urban and 45 extra urban, not only does the advert reader wonder what the manufacturer has in his shoes, they also go and buy the competitors car that headlines 59 mpg extra urban. Or so the thinking goes anyway.

Years ago, when there was a constant 75mph figure published, that was a reasonable guide to what might be achieved in normal use as long as you didn't spend a huge amount of time in traffic queues. That figure of course was subject to wingers moaning the UK speed limit was 70 (really, gosh...) so the suits gleefully changed the test to something that bore no relation to what a normal motorist might get but had large numbers so the industry could gleefully claim to have improved.

Am I a sceptic? Er yes!
 More fudged tests. - Focusless
>> Years ago, when there was a constant 75mph figure published, that was a reasonable guide
>> to what might be achieved in normal use as long as you didn't spend a
>> huge amount of time in traffic queues.

Similar to the current extra-urban figure? Described here:
www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/faqs-fuel-consumptio.asp

This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

>> That figure of course was subject to wingers
>> moaning the UK speed limit was 70 (really, gosh...)

Looks like they still do it!
 More fudged tests. - TheManWithNoName
Regardless as to the fact all tests are carried out under the same government controlled lab conditions and therefore not reflective of real world driving, to me there is still mis-selling when an ad comes on the TV with a shiny faux by faux urban SUV type vehicle, usually filmed in a completely clean, shiny empty city at night and the guff on the bottom of the screen claims it'll do 65mpg!
Yeah, righto.
 More fudged tests. - Bill Payer
>> to me there is still mis-selling when an ad comes on the TV

If they mention MPG at all, they're required to state the Government test figures.

What I hate more about those ads is they usually feature the top-of-the-range model but headline price will be the base model.
 More fudged tests. - Slidingpillar
Similar to the current extra-urban figure?

Sort of, but a higher number and in terms of successful events, looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is more likely to be successful.
 More fudged tests. - Duncan
>> That figure of course was subject to wingers moaning the UK speed limit was 70
>>

Don't forget, the centre forwards and half backs had a moan as well!
 More fudged tests. - Stuartli
You could have a hundred drivers in the same make of car driving on the same test route and the fuel consumption figures recorded would be different in every case.
 More fudged tests. - Duncan
>> wingers moaning

Pendant Corner

tinyurl.com/gksevca
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 20 May 16 at 06:29
 More fudged tests. - neiltoo
Where I come from it's Whinger, and he would be having a whinge, which assists in the pronunciation.

8o)
Latest Forum Posts