Motoring Discussion > Tesla 3 Released Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 39

Tesla 3 Released - Duncan
Details of the new Tesla 3 model have been released.

£25,000. Get over to Weybridge and place your order.

Link to Car magazine:- tinyurl.com/gup6e5t

What's not to like?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 1 Apr 16 at 09:02
 Tesla 3 Released - Crankcase
The BBC managed to find a couple of "industry spokesmen" who threw negative comments at Tesla.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35940302

But on the face of it, while it looks spiffy now, by the time it's actually available in the UK, probably in a couple of years, there will be other manufacturers competing at much the same level in terms of range/price/performance as well. Indeed, it's possible others will get there first.

Tesla 3 Released - WillDeBeest
Assuming this isn't date-related, I want one too. But it's not really going to be £25,000 here, is it? £35,000 has to be nearer the mark.
 Tesla 3 Released - Crankcase
They seem quite keen on the idea of "half the price of the model S". As the cheapest one of those is about 58k over here, the new one could just about trickle in under 30.

Bearing in mind a Nissan Leaf in top spec is about 27k after the current grant, it's in a similar area. Nissan might need to up their game to compete with a sexy Tesla though.

Wouldn't expect the current grant to still be in place though - it's already £500 less than a month ago.
 Tesla 3 Released - R.P.
I overtook a Telsa S the other day
 Tesla 3 Released - Alanovich
I saw two Tesla Esses on my drive home last night. Big things.

They're getting fairly (italics) common around here.

Oh, overtook a Maserati Ghibli too yesterday. Wondered if it was our contributor who was telling us about his recently. Awooga. Today though I was mostly being baulked by tipper/skip trucks and Mondeos/Honda CRVs who wouldn't get past them on the dual carriageway at a proper speed. Rolling blasted road block all the way from M4 J11 to Basingrad. Not awooga.
 Tesla 3 Released - R.P.
Been talking about Porsches on another forum. Surprising amount of them around here. From crappy looking Boxsters by the sea with headlamps that seem to be suffering from cataracts - to full size Panamera..(nice looking motor) the conversation was about affordable 911s......
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 1 Apr 16 at 10:11
 Tesla 3 Released - Runfer D'Hills
I've driven, but never owned, (never even come close to owning in fact) a couple of 911s, a Panamera and a Cayenne.

Nicest, to me anyway, was the Panamera. Get past the challenging looks and it is just the most sublime thing. The 911s were a bit of a "never meet your heroes" scenario. Fast certainly, and of course thrilling, but somehow I didn't think I'd ever be inclined to a long term relationship with one. The Cayenne is also a pleasing thing but again, it didn't make me want one.

A Panamera though, hmmmm, maybe one day...with a lot of luck...
 Tesla 3 Released - PeterS
I got chatting to a chap in a rather nice Tesla when I was in Waitrose using the free chargers (which is what he was doing too!!). We had long chat about EVs, and it transpired that he's a Product Manager for Tesla.... Anyway he offered a test drive.... and he's bringing a P90D with the 'Lunacy speed option' to my office in a couple of weeks :)
 Tesla 3 Released - rtj70
I've still not got around to popping into the local Tesla showroom. I pass it almost daily so no excuses ;-) Plenty of people seem to be out and about on test drives - I bet most have no intention of buying one.
Which Waitrose was this, Peter...?
Waitrose in Chichester. It's a Polar charging point, which I think has a fee normally. But with a card from customer services it costs nothing :)
Waitrose in Chichester

Hmmm. Will be down that way this weekend. Does that charge point work for a diesel-engined BMW? (I've got a My Waitrose card, if that helps.)
 Tesla 3 Released - Focusless
>> Details of the new Tesla 3 model have been released.

Well... there's some claims, and "precise technical and specification details are not expected until later next year". Relying on pre-orders to fund development?

Does sounds good though, if they can deliver on the promises.
 Tesla 3 Released - Duncan
Electric car. Hmm. Interesting concept.

I don't know what percentage of the car population is made up by electric cars at the moment - 0.25%?

If electric cars become a significant proportion of the cars on our roads, let's say 10% - that will be 40 times as many as there are now. How will the public charging points cope? They won't. Unless you have a charging point at home, the whole idea will become unworkable.

I can foresee massive arguments breaking out. People waiting to get onto a public charging point so that they can continue their journey, finding that the points are blocked with people topping their cars up from 90% charge to 99% charge.

Longer term the whole idea is a recipe for disaster.
 Tesla 3 Released - sooty123
let> 10% - that will be 40 times as many as there are now. How will
>> the public charging points cope? They won't. Unless you have a charging point at home,
>> the whole idea will become unworkable.

People probably said the same about petrol stations when we started buying cars instead of the horse and cart.
Exactly, Sooty. Infrastructure has a way of extending to support the prevailing technology. For one thing there are a lot of petrol pump locations that will become redundant in the same period. Charging technology will evolve too.

It's why I wouldn't buy an electric car at this stage. The technology is on a steep section of the development curve, which is exciting - but also means that a three-year-old one could be obsolete and close to worthless. Leasing is the way to go; keeps the cost predictable.
I'm sure it'll be the way forward. Who knows in the future it might seem as old fashioned to run a car on petrol or diesel as it does know to run it on peanut oil.*

I'd have one as well if i had anywhere to charge it or could have a charger fitted but i can't at the moment. One day though.

*i think some of the first cars ran on that?
Duncan may remember. Were there fights over the last bag of peanuts?
};---)
 Tesla 3 Released - CGNorwich
I don't think it will be the problem you envisage. Most charging will be done at home, an option not open to petrol powered car owners. I suspect charging cafes will be the new idea!
 Tesla 3 Released - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I don't think it will be the problem you envisage. Most charging will be done
>> at home, an option not open to petrol powered car owners. I suspect charging cafes
>> will be the new idea!
>>
Reading up on this, it seems a 58 mile charge with a 'super charger' in an hour is promised...
Nice, if you have a garage, but for street parkers, would be a bit of a no-no.
However, a multi-story/covered carpark with pay/park/power option seems to be the way to go.
But as alluded to, it'll take one self-righteous git to stuff the system, by insisting that he charge to FULL, when he doesn't need it.
Same mentality as trickle-fillers at a petrol station, but taking far far more time.

Who knows what technology is around the corner? Under the current one it's an issue, who knows how fast you might be able to charge your car up?
 Tesla 3 Released - Lygonos
It wouldn't exactly be difficult or even particularly expensive to have a 3/6kW plug point at every parking bay, would it?

If there was the demand for it, of course.

That would mean roughly 12-25miles per hour of recharging (100-200miles of charge in a working day).

Considering petrol stations make ~£2 on each tank of petrol sold, having 20 or so 'supercharger' bays charging a few quid per 30 minute fast charge instead of 8 pumps, and a higher use of on-site shop/café facilities sounds a viable business opportunity to me.

Again, if the demand existed.

Tesla 3 is potentially a big stepping stone to developing this demand.
According to the Internet the average UK driver does around 8k miles per year. That's 160 miles a week. So in theory most people will rarely need to charge their car away from home... A Leaf already cllaims a 130 mile range doesn't it? And this Tesla around 200 miles. Just plug it in at home :)
I think the leaf is going to about 200 miles range next year.
I think those who can genuinely manage with short range cars should walk more or use bicycles. Then there would be fewer fat people and reduced congestion. Unless they are disabled of course.
I think people like their own personal bubbles to transport themselves about in. Own music, shielded from the weather etc.
Puffa jacket and headphones then.

tinyurl.com/jmuscyd
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 2 Apr 16 at 10:08
 Tesla 3 Released - henry k
I see lines of cars parked outside in the streets of terraced houses.
Home charging? A swing out gantry with a cable attached ?
( That looks pretty on the front of my house.)
Please can you change parking slots with me so I can park outside my house ?

Start digging a trench to the kerbside with a "locked" lid but similar to water meter installations?

p.s. Can the government hurry up and build a lot more power stations ?
>>Start digging a trench to the kerbside with a "locked" lid but similar to water meter installations?

Noone seemed to give a toss about exactly that when cable TV was being installed everywhere in the 90s.
Cars travel 240bn miles per year in the UK (2014 gov figures)

If 10% of those miles were made by purely electric vehicles, those 24bn miles would equate to around 6bn kWh of electricity - this would require 0.7GW of power.

Average power output of the UK's power network is around 30-35GW*

So that 10% EV miles would need an extra 2% national electricity output.

In exchange 700 million gallons of fuel would not have been burned by those vehicles (assuming 36mpg average) and air quality in cities (where vehicle air pollutants are estimated to cause 1000s of extra deaths annually) would be a bit better.

700 million gallons per year (~2.5 million tonnes) could produce ~1.2GW** of power being burned in a power station easily creating the power required by those electric cars with some to spare.

* www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

** www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=667&t=3
 Tesla 3 Released - Boxsterboy

>> I can foresee massive arguments breaking out. People waiting to get onto a public charging
>> point so that they can continue their journey, finding that the points are blocked with
>> people topping their cars up from 90% charge to 99% charge.
>>

There are 4 charging points at Ashtead railway station. Because they are near the station entrance, most days at least one is occupied by an ICE car.
 Tesla 3 Released - movilogo
>> People waiting to get onto a public charging
>> point so that they can continue their journey,

Tesla is aiming to replace the whole battery within few minutes in near future. So no need to wait for charging the battery.

Tesla 3 Released - movilogo
www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/tesla-races-airliner---and-wins/

That's an achievement in its own right!
 Tesla 3 Released - Focusless
>> >> Details of the new Tesla 3 model have been released.
>>
>> Well... there's some claims, and "precise technical and specification details are not expected until later
>> next year". Relying on pre-orders to fund development?

276,000 x $1000 ...

www.bbc.com/news/business-35953817
Was in convoy with yet another Model S this morning, this one was badged R85, whatever that means. will look it up in a mo. Black, lots of chrome.

Sublime things. Really, really like them. But then I always liked large, exec saloons/hatches anyway. These things are real lookers in my book.

Chap driving seemed to be a 30 something, fashionably bearded. Must be doing well for himself. Fair play.

Still, I'd rather a Ferrari FF. :-)
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 4 Apr 16 at 10:51
After a google it looks like I misread the badge and it was a P85. Cyril and Methodius have a lot to answer for.

15-reg.
 Tesla 3 Released - Ian (Cape Town)

>> These things are real lookers in my book.

Yes. and they look like cars!
None of this weird styling we saw on the prius, the Honda hybrid, that electric BMW thing etc.
It is as if the manufacturers want to encourage greenie folk to be noticed and proclaim 'look at me saving the planet' via the car they drive.
 Tesla 3 Released - henry k
>> Yes. and they look like cars!
>> None of this weird styling we saw on the prius, the Honda hybrid, that electric BMW thing etc.
>>
I have still not warmed to the styling of the "non grill"
I guess it is a lifetime of car adverts of aggressive grills proclaiming the brand.
Perhaps the front is so upright to provide more room in the frunk especially if it is seven seat configuration.
Most weekdays days I walk by a commuters 85 that parks in my road so it will help to convert me to liking the styling.
it is certainly not over styled except for the very large bling wheels.
Latest Forum Posts