Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 16

Lexus - Ah well..... - Stuartli
Still some way to go.....

preview.tinyurl.com/j9pqrle
 Lexus - Ah well..... - R.P.
Zero look !
 Lexus - Ah well..... - Zero
>> Zero look !

The car was doing 5mph and the bus was doing 15mph?

Pathetic.
 Lexus - Ah well..... - Manatee
There might be a pointer here to why self-driving and yuman-driven vehicles don't really mix.

"The car's test driver — who under state law must be in the front seat to grab the wheel when needed — thought the bus would yield and did not have control when the collision happened, according to Google's report."

and

"Google cars have been involved in more than a dozen collisions.

In most cases, Google's cars were rear-ended."

One can imagine two self-driving cars exchanging information about their intentions or agreeing priority in one of those "after you, Claude" situations that happen so often. Two yumans can communicate subtly by various informal or gestural means. Mix the two...

OK, there were two humans here making the decision, supposedly - but had the human minder been driving, would he/she have done it in quite the same way? Would he have gone at all, was he inclined to allowing the car to continue the test where he would have been more cautious?

I suspect yumans might also be more deferential where buses are concerned. Especially those who have had a run in with one before:)
 Lexus - Ah well..... - movilogo
Normal for any R&D project.

Hopefully the algorithm will get improved because of this.

Still looking forward to it.

Lexus - Ah well..... - smokie
They reckon they've done well over 1m miles so the accident record is pretty good. No dead test dummies yet!! :-)
 Lexus - Ah well..... - sooty123
I think all the other accidents were the fault of the other driver. I think this is the first one where it looks like it was the google car's fault. Not bad one (fault) accident in a million miles.
 Lexus - Ah well..... - Tigger

>> Not bad one (fault) accident in a million miles.
>>
That's about the same as me. Though I did make a silly mistake last week and only escaped a collision because the other driver was alert. Made me realise that there is no hand signal for 'I was wrong. Sorry'.
Well a white van man pulled away sharply from the opposite side of the road, with no indication, and right into my path last week. Luckily at least one of us was concentrating and thus managed to avoid a collision. Due to the tyre screech he was aware and signalled his apology by thrusting his arm right out of the window and waving a single extended finger at me.

Had I been a few years younger and a bit fitter I'd have given chase and asked why he felt that necessary when he was clearly in the wrong.
 Lexus - Ah well..... - R.P.
Who do you think you are Smokie ? Ronnie Pickering ?.....
 Lexus - Ah well..... - Bill Payer
>> One can imagine two self-driving cars exchanging information about their intentions or agreeing priority in
>> one of those "after you, Claude" situations that happen so often. Two yumans can communicate
>> subtly by various informal or gestural means.
>>

I find that in the US people don't voluntarily let you in - there's no flashing headlight concept there, indeed that function doesn't even exist on most cars - but they also don't respond agressively if you force your way in.

I can't quite make out what happened in this accident but it's said the Google car speed was 2MPH and the bus 15MPH - so it could be that the Google car simply didn't "go for it" as the bus driver expected.
 Lexus - Ah well..... - zippy
I love the comments in the DM article - seems most commenters there want us back in the stone age.

There is a long way to go with driverless cars but for the commute I reckon that they are a good thing. Not so good when driving for pleasure though.

I imagine a time with a fully networked GPS / Galileo/ Glonass system with cars feeding back their position to a supercomputer somewhere which controls them across a cross roads or T-Junction without stopping because all the cars are cross networked and will vary their speeds accordingly.

Something like this perhaps: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ8cvwo485Y
 Lexus - Ah well..... - diddy1234
How would police chases work in America if the cars were self driving ?
Police cruisers would have an app something along these lines:

Please enter vehicle tag

Please confirm vehicle tag

Press Yabadabadoo to halt vehicle and lock doors

(Actually unlikely to happen as it could fall into the wrong hands. Quite a few cars have already been hacked)
 Lexus - Ah well..... - WillDeBeest
Daily Mail readers in Not-very-forward-thinking shock
 Lexus - Ah well..... - Bill Payer
>> Daily Mail readers in Not-very-forward-thinking shock
>>

Can you just imagine the outrage when teleportation gets going and a few people get lost in the early days? Of course they'll conveniently ignore that loads of people are KSI'd on the roads every year!
 Lexus - Ah well..... - madf
>> >> Daily Mail readers in Not-very-forward-thinking shock
>> >>
>>
>> Can you just imagine the outrage when teleportation gets going and a few people get
>> lost in the early days? Of course they'll conveniently ignore that loads of people are
>> KSI'd on the roads every year!
>>

Some kind soul will ensure those lost are DM readers....
Latest Forum Posts