Motoring Discussion > ABS & iginition light on ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 7

ABS & iginition light on ? - henry k
Report from offspring re the Yaris which has not been used for a few weeks.
(The latest guess may be up to six weeks)

On sluggish start up both the ignition light and the ABS indicators are on.
I was guessing the battery might struggle hence the ignition light.
The ABS was a bit worrying. After a few -ish minutes suddenly both warning indicators went off.

Would a low battery charge trigger the ABS warning ?

The Yaris is treated like white goods / a skip !!!!!!
Not the first time Dad has said " Do not drive it with the red light on!"
After a few local miles it arrived and it re started ( with a warm engine) OK
A meter on the battery terminals while it was ticking over read 14V.

ABS & iginition light on ? - Manatee
Low battery might well keep the ABS light on.

I borrowed a Range Rover with a low battery on Sunday. Fortunately started on first turn (petrol V8) but ABS light was on for at least two minutes.

When my alternator failed on the CRV, just about every warning light came on, one by one, including ABS, ESP and airbags.
 ABS & iginition light on ? - Armel Coussine
ABS and traction control lights are both permanently on at the moment in my jalopy. It means in fact that neither device is working, but that's OK. They are seldom needed.

The lights came on when I went through some water on the road a few weeks ago. I'm hoping the fettling geezer will be able to restore everything to normal.
 ABS & iginition light on ? - Fenlander
Yes low battery can flag up an ABS issue... as can water ingress as AC has found.

As long as the lights go out when the battery is charged no problem... but AC's water might take a bit of contact cleaning, WD40 or even a new sensor.
 ABS & iginition light on ? - DP
Yes, the ABS light can be triggered by a low voltage condition. I had the exact same thing on my old mk4 Golf GTI after an alternator failure. The ABS light remained on after the engine started. I called my VW tech mate who said it would have been triggered by the low voltage and would go out after a few minutes of healthy system voltage. And sure enough it did.

It's more unusual that the ignition light stayed on. I would normally expect this to go out as soon as the battery is charging. Maybe the alternator is getting a bit lazy.
 ABS & iginition light on ? - Zero
Yup, low battery. Battery may now be shagged, which is why the alternator light stays on.

ABS light should go out after a period with healthy voltage, or 7 - 10 ignition starts.
 ABS & iginition light on ? - bathtub tom
Could the belt be a little slack?

Start from cold, slack belt slipping on alternator, battery not getting full charge resulting in slightly low volts causing ABS light, ignition light on because belt slipping?
 ABS & iginition light on ? - henry k
Thanks for the quick replies.
The Yaris has returned from a M40 trip and behaved itself.
I will follow up on the suggestions.
Latest Forum Posts