Motoring Discussion > My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: spamcan61 Replies: 9

My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - spamcan61
Well after 31 years of my main mode of transport being a product of Luton/Ellsmere Port/Russelshiem I've just switched over to a Toyota Avensis. Spamette Major's Boyfriend's Grandad's old car. He's gone into a home, aged 90, and so I've bought his car. 07 plate Avensis 1.8 T3-X with full main dealer no expense spared service history. 38K on the clock; few minor dents and scrapes but then I tend to buy my vehicles pre-dented.

Only downside from my point of view is it's a slushbox, I've driven a few but never owned one. I've read the flipping manual, which appears to have been machine translated from Klingon into American English, but one thing I would like to ask the group:-

When sitting at traffic lights how long does one leave the beast in 'D' before giving up hope of ever moving again, and slipping into 'N' or even 'P'?

My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - sooty123

>> When sitting at traffic lights how long does one leave the beast in 'D' before
>> giving up hope of ever moving again, and slipping into 'N' or even 'P'?
>>
>>

It's really up to you, general consensus is to leave it in drive, i pop it into P. I doubt any option damages the car.
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - Skip
When sitting at traffic lights how long does one leave the beast in 'D' before
>> giving up hope of ever moving again, and slipping into 'N' or even 'P'?
>>
If I am going to be stationary for more than 2 minutes then I stick it in N and put the handbrake on otherwise I leave it in D and hold it on the foot brake
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 21 Feb 16 at 20:07
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - Zero

>> If I am going to be stationary for more than 2 minutes then I stick
>> it in N and put the handbrake on otherwise I leave it in D and
>> hold it on the foot brake

I employ same criteria on Mrs Z's auto.
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - spamcan61
OK cheers for that folks, I'll see how it goes. Managed to drive it to Weymouth and back to see me mum today (about 90 mile round trip) without doing anything daft. Did 40 mpg according to the trip computer, we'll see what brim to brim calculations give. Had SWMBO gripping the seat as I tried the kickdown on the back roads near Spamcan Towers lol.
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - Runfer D'Hills
If it's a slusher, just do whatever suits you. They will sit quite happily in gear for extended periods, but if you feel like putting it in neutral or park, then that won't hurt it either.

It'll be interesting to hear if you become fond of it. I can live with either auto or manual, both options have their upsides and their downs. Probably 60/40 in favour of autos these days but it's not a deal breaker either way for me.
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - R.P.
My BMW is supposed to go to P of its own accord when at a standstill for a set period, I've never witnessed it doing so (I'll try to remember to try it tomorrow) - On the 3 Series, there's a button on the top of the of the gear shift. Press it and it goes into Park, which is what I tend to do without any thought.
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - Old Navy
>> On the 3 Series, there's a button on the top of the of the gear shift. Press it and it goes into Park.

How do you then move off, do you have to select drive or does it do it itself when you press the go pedal?
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - Ted

I always use D and footbrake unless I know that the lights are going to be a longer phase. Mainly to diminish brake light irritation behind. I just snick it into N and keep an eye out in case it rolls...if it does, I use the handbrake.

Two junctions I use regularly near Tedton Abbey have an extra phase for the trams so you can wait for some time.
 My daily driver is no longer a Vauxhall..... - WillDeBeest
N has a fuel economy benefit too, presumably from uncoupling the engine from the porridge stirrer. It does seem to make a difference - according to the LEC's computer anyway - if I use N between trundles in the long downhill queue into town on a warm summer evening.
Latest Forum Posts