Motoring Discussion > Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 39

Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Lygonos
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-35607118

Provisional licence.

Uninsured.

Audi A8 doing up to 149mph trying to outrun Police.

Admits he only stopped because the petrol ran out.

Admits not giving any of his 3 passengers a chance to leave the vehicle.

Ended up crashing through exit barriers after various reckless manoeuvres.

---> 80hr comm service, 8mth jail sentence (suspended), 18 month ban.

Bwahahahaa........
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 18 Feb 16 at 21:16
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Dutchie
We are vey soft on road crime in this country it is the way it is.

The Yanks would have shot him and his passengers and be done with.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Old Navy
Many a true word, an American cop pulled a gun on me during a traffic stop. I was a naive youngster who got out of the car. Fortunately I was wearing navy uniform and the cops knew our submarine was at Cape Canaveral.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Zero
>> Many a true word, an American cop pulled a gun on me during a traffic
>> stop. I was a naive youngster who got out of the car. Fortunately I was
>> wearing navy uniform and the cops knew our submarine was at Cape Canaveral.

In Nevada I had TWO cops pull a gun on me over a traffic stop, and I stayed in the car. Mind it was in the middle of nowhere, real bandit country.
Does my cops SHOTGUN beat your TWO cops? :-P
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 18 Feb 16 at 22:45
I had a shotgun and a pistol. Shotgun in front, and handgun to the side.

I had committed the heinous crime of crossing the centre line.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Tigger

>> I had committed the heinous crime of crossing the centre line.
>>
No guns, but I was sentenced to 30 days in jail for crossing the solid line in the centre of the road in an African country.

Fortunately I was allowed to pay a large fine instead.
>> We are vey soft on road crime in this country it is the way it
>> is.

Blame the judge. It was heard at a crown court, so the judge had the ability to give him two years in jail, given the aggravating factors that would have been appropriate.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Ian (Cape Town)
I've been watching that Traffic Cops series via torrents.
It amazes me the 'light' sentences handed down to some of these toerags.
I can understand the American cop who stopped me being wary, a few days earlier two cops were drinking cans of pop at a nearby petrol station forecourt drinks machine. They did not know that two thieves were holding up that petrol station. On their way out they shot both cops dead before the cops even drew their guns.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 19 Feb 16 at 08:44
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Mapmaker
Guns. They keep Americans safe.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - CGNorwich
"Guns. They keep Americans safe."

Well they do in a way.

Once everyone else has one then the best option is to have one too. If I lived in a country where every thief had ready access to a firearm I'd have one in my bedside cupboard.

Unless everyone agrees to complete disarmament then gun ownership is going to remain the logical choice for individuals.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - movilogo
>> Jails must be full

or judges are not fit for purpose
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Westpig
>> >> Jails must be full
>>
>> or judges are not fit for purpose
>>
or their guidelines are carp.

I helped a mate a few years back when he became a Magistrate. Non compliance with their guidelines means negative performance issues highlighted ..and.. the likelihood of the defendant appealing..and getting the lighter sentence anyway.

When you are in that game... you learn to just shrug your shoulders and look forward to going home.

Thinking any more than that about the truly awful system would just get you down.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Manatee
Definition of optimism - punishing people for driving without a licence, with a disqualification.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Simon
>> Definition of optimism - punishing people for driving without a licence, with a disqualification.

I entirely agree, it has never made sense to me.

The other one that I can't quite get my head round is jailing drivers (particularly motorcyclists) for the use of excessive speed. I'm not talking about ones involved in collisions, just ones using out and out excessive speed. In my mind it is a victimless 'crime', nobody was hurt, there were no consequences, but it deserves a prison sentence. Compare that on the other hand to a burglar, who enters someones home - their private space and steals their personal possessions. He will get away with a non custodial sentence, most likely community service!!!
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - tyrednemotional
....I think that motorcyclists should be jailed simply for being motorcyclists.

(No alcohol was consumed in the composition of this reply... ;-) )
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Runfer D'Hills
What punishment do you think would appropriate for caravanists and motorcaravanists?
>> What punishment do you think would appropriate for caravanists and motorcaravanists?
>>

.........Entirely different ones.....

(and Campervanists would be entirely exempt from any punishment)
Fair enough, they are by that stage, almost certainly beyond redemption. More to be pitied than scolded sort of thing.

;-)
Some professional drivers must have a problem with driving without a trailer and drag a shed when they retire from HGV driving. :-)
>> What punishment do you think would appropriate for caravanists and motorcaravanists?

Well its not good locking them up in a little cell, far too busman's holiday.
...certainly no good if it doesn't have wheels (and a chemical toilet ;-) )
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - Pat
Some of you will never understand itchy feet syndrome and it's not something Humph's high fallutin' shoes will ever cure either.

Pat
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - sooty123
I think that post is the wrong place?
No, it is exactly where I intended it to be and those who need to, will understand it.

Pat
>> No, it is exactly where I intended it to be and those who need to,
>> will understand it.
>>

Ah right i did wonder. I don't understand it, does that mean i don't need to?
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - CGNorwich
"Some of you will never understand itchy feet syndrome"

Try this: :-)

tinyurl.com/hdd7bl3

p.s. spotted the male peregrine in the cathedral close yesterday. Web cam is up and working

Thanks CG, it's ben a busy weekend but I've just checked the webcam and saved a link to it again.

NYU Falcons were around on the ledge last week too, so they are beginning to take an interest and the Manton Ospreys appear to be preparing to leave Senegal for the long flight back here.

One or two are tagged and it's possible to follow their journey on a daily basis on the website.

Pat
>> Some of you will never understand itchy feet syndrome and it's not something Humph's high
>> fallutin' shoes will ever cure either.
>>
>> Pat
>>

We have itchy feet, don't feel the need to tow anything though. :-)
>> Well its not good locking them up in a little cell, far too busman's holiday.
>>

....I'd have said that that was more like those "all-inclusive" holidays that some strange people appear to like..........
The all inclusive island in the Maldives even had a sunroof. :-)

>> ....I'd have said that that was more like those "all-inclusive" holidays that some strange people
>> appear to like..........
>>

You know someone who got locked up in an all inclusive hotel and enjoyed it? Each to their own.
I do sort of get the appeal of an occasional camping or even caravan holiday. In high summer, somewhere nice, it kind of makes sense. But in truth I get so little time off that the thought of only having that one type of holiday doesn't appeal much.

I notice that those with caravans ( and their derivatives ) seem to feel that in order that get the best value out of them that they use them several times a year rather than having a variety of different types of breaks. That would feel a bit "same old same old" to me. I'd rather do different things at different times of the year and in quite different locations and circumstances/types of accommodation.

So, for example, a camping/mobile home holiday in August would be fine, a city break in October maybe, a skiing holiday in the winter perhaps and maybe a hotel with guaranteed sun in the spring.

Expensive? Not as expensive as buying, maintaining, shipping, storing etc a caravan or motorhome.

Doesn't mean the feet are any less itchy, just that there's a whole world out there to explore and limiting that to places it's convenient to tow something to seems a pity.
I think I know what pat was driving at now. I think there are many ways to satisfy the need to roam about, many do it without a caravan.

>> Doesn't mean the feet are any less itchy, just that there's a whole world out
>> there to explore and limiting that to places it's convenient to tow something to seems
>> a pity.

Having a caravan in the UK is no ruddy use for a holiday in Cuba.

>> Having a caravan in the UK is no ruddy use for a holiday in Cuba.
>>
>>

Oh i dunno, you get caravanists everywhere. Are commies into that sort of thing? ;)

>> Oh i dunno, you get caravanists everywhere. Are commies into that sort of thing? ;)

It wont be long before the US trailer park trash get over there.
Our version is already here, there are many shed and garage dwellers in some areas.
 Jails must be full - part 2347895234695 - WillDeBeest
Is there a gap in the market for an international caravan exchange scheme? Cubans can sign up their 50s classic Airstream, held together with scrap metal and bits of string, and Reg and Mavis can rent it for a ten-day tour of the island - although they'd presumably want a container load of chintz sent ahead so they didn't feel they were losing touch with home. We could call it - oh, I don't know, how about Chemical B&B?
Latest Forum Posts