Motoring Discussion > New car - making a shortlist Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Avant Replies: 77

New car - making a shortlist - Avant
(Also posted on HJ but I hope nobody minds - opinions greatly valued from friends on here too.)

The much-loved Octavia vRS estate will need to go sometime this year before the warranty runs out, and be replaced with something that (as SWMBO and I are semi-retired) may need to last longer than the usual 2 - 3 years.

Another vRS would be the obvious answer - with no need to start a thread - but for two things: (a) the vRS has substantial, quite firm, side bolsters on its sports seats which SWMBO, with a back problem and an arthritic knee, find it difficult to get in and out of; and (b) there are too many well-documented problems with VAG cars after the warranty expires, especially those with DSG. Plus - a change might be fun!

Maybe I expect too much from a car - although the three successive VRSs I've had have done the job brilliantly: plenty of zing but also the ability to pootle at low revs; at the same time 40 mpg on a long run (if it's a petrol); seat comfort; the ability to convert into a van; perhaps above all being so enjoyable to drive that you look forward to each trip.

People's views on the following shortlist would be much appreciated! In alphabetical order:

Audi Q3 Nice and high off the ground, but two friends in the village have them and both say there's no fun in driving them. One calls it a 'lump'. The automatic, called 'S-tronic- is basically a DSG.

BMW 2-series Active Tourer Silly name, but a good car that could be a front-runner. 220i petrol probably - I had five diesel cars in a row before this and the last Octavia and I'm not sure I want another. Front seats not the best, but dashboard and i-Drive controller very good. Automatic is a torque converter - good.

Ford C-Max A surprisingly strong contender, but I want to go back to an automatic and Ford's Powershift gearbox is all too similar to a DSG. Excellent driving position although the dashboard is a bit in-yer-face. Only decent engine is the 2.0 TDCI.

Lexus NX300h Lovely inside, high up and comfortable. But I tried the new hybrid and Toyota/Lexus still haven't got rid of the furious revving that comes with even a moderate attempt at acceleration. I don't want to reach 5000 rpm just getting back to 70 mph fron 50 mph on a motorway.

Nissan Qashqai Very comfortable and excellent driving position. But the steering seems curiously remote from the car as a whole. Good acceleration from the 1.6 pwetrol turbo but no fun to drive.

Renault Kadjar I haven't tried one but the only petrol engine is a 1.2 and the top 1.6 diesel has only 130 bhp. Not a ball olf fire, I suspect.

Subaru Forester I will be trying the XT Turbo: I'm no environmental freak but emissions of 197 g/km are a bit much even for me.

VW Golf SV So far no VW dealer can find a 1.4 TSI GT for me to try: I'd like to, but see above re DSG and general worries about longevity.

Volvo V60 Never mind the magazine road tests: this is a very strong contender and drives much better than they say. Probably the best seats in the business. Automatic is a torque-converter. I really liked it and SWMBO was comfortable. It's not just a matter of height off the ground - she gets in and out of her Mini Roadster without too much trouble.

Out of the running - Mercedes GLA, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Mazdas CX-3 and CX-5 - spare wheel not even an option and no space for one. Sorry - that's a deal-breaker. Must be something about makers beginning with M.

So shoot me down and/or tell me what I've forgotten. I'd prefer not to go over £30,000 after discounts.
Last edited by: Avant on Tue 9 Feb 16 at 23:59
 New car - making a shortlist - R.P.
Volvo would be my choice, superb seats. Classless as well, right/colour/trim and engine are essential. The R Design versions are well equipped. I toyed very briefly with one when I went from the V40, I'd signed for the BMW when the dealer phoned to say he'd knock off £5k a new one. (no regrets though)
 New car - making a shortlist - Bobby
Can you explain the issue with your wife's back better? Is it literally the side support on the seat that is the issue no matter whether she is in a Mini or a Q3? Does the height not make a difference to the issue?
As a recent convert to Honda myself, how is the CRV auto rated? The Hondas used to be CVT types didn't they?
Bobby - she has a slight slipped disc which the last doctor she saw wasn't serious enough to do anything about. It's enough to hurt so she's going to get a second opinion.

But getting in and out of cars seems to involve more issues than I thought! It's partly the seat, partly the distance between the seat and the door sill - the greater this distance is, the more you have to lever yourself out of the seat. And this is more difficult if there's a hard bolster to overcome as well.

I'm sure whatever type of gearbox is in the CRV, it'll be built to last. The CRV is a bit bigger than we need, and I believe that it isn't a lot of fun to drive. You may disagree!
>>The CRV is a bit bigger than we need, and I believe that it isn't a lot of fun to drive. You may disagree!

I didn't get the CRV - I got the Civic. I am still trying to work out myself the best way to get in and out it! Have had MPV type cars since 1999, also drive a Transit occasionally and the Civic feels like I am lying on the road!
What about the new HRV, probably Qashqai type size, CVT automatic
www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/hrv-2015/hr-v-2015-campaign/performance.html

New car - making a shortlist - Mike H
>> I'm sure whatever type of gearbox is in the CRV, it'll be built to last.
>> The CRV is a bit bigger than we need, and I believe that it isn't
>> a lot of fun to drive. You may disagree!
>>
See my thread from last October re driving the CR-V and the Golf SV. We have now covered 12,000km in the last 4 months in our CR-V, it may not be the last word in fun, but it's very comfortable, roomy and a surprisingly good motorway cruiser even with the 120bhp diesel, which is a lovely engine. We've had absolutely zilch problems with it, apart from the fact that it's blown the two dipped beam bulbs in the last week - I put Osram Nightbreakers in last November just after we bought it.

I wouldn't call the CR-V large, it's about the same width as our old Saab 9-5, so it's probably about the same width as your Octavia I suspect, and around 4.6m long, over a foot shorter than our Saab. It's a funny thing, when w first had it, it looked large, but depending on where you park it, it can look quite small! We've recently found it's it's difficult to reach the middle of the roof to scrape the snow off, so it looks like a mohican on occasion....

The boot space is very usable, it's shorter but taller than the Saab, and seems to hold more although the figures are similar. I think it has a space saver, but you might squeeze a real wheel in. The rear passenger space has no transmission tunnel so it feels roomy.

We're more or less committed to it for 4 years, but I'd consider another, although something a little more sporty wouldn't come amiss.
 New car - making a shortlist - Lygonos
>>We're more or less committed to it for 4 years, but I'd consider another, although something a little more sporty wouldn't come amiss.

Comes with a 160hp 1.6 diesel now, with optional 9spd autobox.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 11 Feb 16 at 14:27
 New car - making a shortlist - Alanovich
9spd? NINE SPEED????

Why, for the love of the Big Pink Pixie in the Sky?

It's a mum truck, not Thrust II.
 New car - making a shortlist - WillDeBeest
Would a jet-powered cart (as distinct from a wheel-driven car) need a gearbox at all?
Good question. Dunno.

*goes to the back of the engineering class*
 New car - making a shortlist - Mike H
>> Comes with a 160hp 1.6 diesel now, with optional 9spd autobox.
>>
We chose on price and running costs, and the 160bhp auto was just too expensive when we looked at it. IIRC that combination was only available here in higher trim levels. To be fair, when we took our test drive it was in a 160bhp manual, and we were concerned the 120bhp might have felt a little weedy in comparison, but not so, it's torquey and smooth. There have been reports of disappointing fuel consumption with the 160 bhp auto.
 New car - making a shortlist - Fenlander
As it seems the vRS suited you well in most respects I'd go for the Volvo too.... because unless you have a specific need for the "lump" shapes I prefer a normal car.

Comfort for back sufferers is very individual but I have a relative with age related mobility issues and she finds her small upright hatch far easier to enter and sit in than her husbands C5 Citroen which has high bolster edged seats. Also the C5 screen is raked so much relative to the door opening a back sufferer can find bending their neck to avoid hitting their head on the A-pillar can be awkward.
 New car - making a shortlist - rtj70
>> side bolsters on its sports seats.... seat comfort

So not an Octavia vRS. But how about an Elegance or L&K which won't have the sports seats or hard suspension? A car I'll consider (a bit big) next time is the Skoda Superb. Better looking than the Passat.

>> Q3... The automatic, called 'S-tronic- is basically a DSG.

The Audi's use S-Tronic to cover all dual clutch gearboxes. Multitronic were CVTs. I'm not sure I'd plump for one and keep it too long. If I did I'd go for a wet clutch and not the dry clutch variety. The newer 7 speed box capable of taking up to 500Nm torque must be tougher than mine that only handles 250Nm!

>> Lexus NX300h ... Toyota/Lexus still haven't got rid of the furious revving

That's the CVT in action. I was not impressed with the IS300h. And the foot operated parking brake was horrible.

The car I quite liked the look of when last choosing a car but not the interior was the Mazda6. It's now a lot better. The estate looks better than the saloon and is a bit smaller but as a company car was more expensive. As a personal car then it would be a different cost. A comfortable car. The 150PS manual Sport Nav I tried was comfortable on even 19" rims. And best of all the automatic gearbox is a torque converter.

At least take a look at the Mazda6.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 10 Feb 16 at 01:16
 New car - making a shortlist - Auntie Lockbrakes
Mazda CX-5 worth a look? Not the diesel obviously. But loads of petrol ones on the roads in ANZ, so they can't be that bad?

I like the look of the CX-3 too, but might be a tad small for you?

If the Honda CRV is too bulky for you, the new HRV must be worth a look? It's caught my imagination as a replacement for the A1 in years to come.
 New car - making a shortlist - Paul Robinson
I'm not surprised that you consider the C-Max a strong contender - we've had one (from new) since October 2012 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. In Titanium trim the quality is just the same as my Mercedes. Would have to be a 2.0 TDCI with powershift and although that's a well proven combination it doesn't exactly fit your criteria.

You can get the Kuga with 1.5T EcoBoost petrol with a non-powershift 6 speed automatic - just a thought....
See a couple of 2 Series aorund here. Nice motors - probably a good "premium" feel to them.....worth checking out.
Automatic is a torque converter - good.

It's better than that; the 8-speed automatic alone would be a good enough reason to choose a BMW. You may remember I tried it in the little 220i coupé, and even with no experience of my driving it seemed to know what I wanted to do next. Town crawling, twisty hill climb - it just felt right.

DP had one for longer than my half-hour, so he may have found its weakness, but I didn't.

Incidentally, if it's warranty you're concerned about, BMW for one does an excellent insurance-based extension. I got two years with my 325 that will take it to its fifth birthday - and can be extended month by month thereafter. Running the Volvo to nearly 13 years has got me over any hang-ups about middle-aged cars, but this seemed a good compromise for a complex and potentially expensive machine. Worth thinking about to get something nice under your £30,000 ceiling.
 New car - making a shortlist - Paul Robinson
The BMW 8-speed automatic is incredibly clever, even taking information about the road from the sat nav in some versions, I was told on Friday... Part of me thinks that's just too clever for its own good!
 New car - making a shortlist - Runfer D'Hills
Coming north on the M5/M6 last night, fully laden, I got to thinking how easy it was and how safe it felt to place the Merc inch perfect in the sweepers even at a very healthy pace and in grim weather. That I think was the most notable disappointment with my old Qashqai, it was absolutely fine pottering about but it all got a bit vague at the helm as speeds increased. The new ones may be better of course.

For what it's worth those new Merc A class thingies seem nice. There's a a sort of pumped up rufty tufty one, but I'm not sure what they cost. Probably reassuringly expensive I'd imagine !

I like your small BMW thinking, I'm guessing of course but you'd imagine they would offer a rewarding drive.
even taking information about the road from the sat nav in some versions,

Mine does that according to the instruction book. Not noticed any difference really. In fairness in everyday use it's the most unobtrusive auto I've ever driven. Bit more obtrusive in the performance modes. I want to like the DSG mode - but I rarely use it.
 New car - making a shortlist - Lygonos
>>Subaru Forester I will be trying the XT Turbo: I'm no environmental freak but emissions of 197 g/km are a bit much even for me.

Subaru don't tell whopping porkies when it comes to emissions though: if it says 30-35mpg it'll do 30-35mpg. The CVT box (with TC for creep/smooth take-off) is very good.

Lots of discount on German metal just now - BMW 3 with non-M-Sport suspension and the lovely 8-spd ZF box would be my choice over VAG+DSG stuff, although engine issues appear significantly worse than the Jap makers.

20% off appears typical for BMW unless you want a flash model (ie. 2- or 4- coupé)
 New car - making a shortlist - mikeyb
My 2012 V60 was R-design spec. It felt very planted and secure but the ride was way to firm, bordering on painful. Newer models may be different but make sure you get a decent drive over varying road types.

A colleague pointed out that motorpoint have a lot of delivery mileage German stuff at the moment so might be worth checking out what they have
 New car - making a shortlist - legacylad
Hate to sound boring....3 series Touring. 328 4cyl with 245 horses, and 8 speed auto?
I've now been looking for a 2/3 yo one for 6 months, but am very specific with required spec.
Don't suppose your Vrs has a sunroof??
I've now been looking for a 2/3 yo one for 6 months

Is that all? Seems like years.
};---)
Quite right WdB. An afternoon on the gin, a decent bottle of Rioja and a few pints of Mahou clouded things...
It was last August when I finally found the 90% correct spec. I was overseas at the time, agreed a price by email, then when I arrived back in the UK 36 hours later it had been sold. My own stupid fault for not putting down a grand deposit whilst overseas. Won't happen again.
Thank you so much for very helpful comments and suggestions. Keep them coming! A few further thoughts in response:

Volvo V60 - I should have said the one I tried was the D4 version: definitely the engine to have and it could persuade me to go back to diesel. We must look at the Cross Country version and see if the extra height is worth the extra cost.

BMW 2-series Active Tourer: I consulted HJ who was helpful as ever - and he thinks that the X1 is likely to hold its value better then the 2. This is because people are going for SUVs or 'crossovers' in preference to MPVs (although I think sometimes the distinction is blurred). So we'll have a look at the X1.

I didn't put any Citroen or Peugeot in the list as I don't like touchscreens at the best of times (I'm right-handed and not in the least ambidextrous), and I'm not prepared to take my eye off the road just to do something basic like adjusting the temperature in the car.

Mazda CX-5 - you can't have a petrol automatic and the jury still seems to be out on whether Mazda have nailed their diesel engine problems.

I will of course look at all the suggestions. I've had FWD cars since 1970, and 2.0 litre + cars since 1980, so I'll stick with the formula that suits us best. I do 15,000 miles a year or so, with a lot of pootling in country roads but also regularly going to Berkshire to see family and friends. I'm very fond of the fast, comfortable car I have already: I'm sure I can find something to match it, probably with a torque-converter auto.

I need it to last a long time, so although I'm well aware of all the arguments, I think on balance it's worth buying new, with a PCP to start with and hopefully being able to settle before too long.

(LL - sorry, no, my vRS hasn't got a sun roof.)
Too late to edit the above, but part of what I'm looking for is exactly what Runfer gets from his Mercedes and not from the Qashqai.

You may justifiably attribute that to RWD, but the Octavia is similarly excellent in this respect, particularly last Saturday driving back from Winchester (A34 and A303) in the face of Storm Imogen (giving it a lovely name like that didn't improve the weather).
 New car - making a shortlist - Bill Payer
>> I need it to last a long time, so although I'm well aware of all
>> the arguments, I think on balance it's worth buying new, with a PCP to start
>> with and hopefully being able to settle before too long.
>>

What's the timing on making a change? I know it's DSG if you want auto, but what about the forthcoming new VW Tiguan? Or even lease the exisiting model - they might be starting to run out now, but VW have been supporting pretty low lease costs. Current one would be diesel though - they don't have a petrol until the new model arrives.
What I confess I don't quite get, Avant, is why the 'much loved Octavia' has to go before the warranty runs out, but its replacement will have 'to last a long time', presumably well beyond the warranty period.

I can't see a six-year-old, well-maintained Octavia costing you much in unexpected repairs, so why not start on the new long-life plan now, with a car you know, rather than committing yourself for a long time to one that's new and unknown?
 New car - making a shortlist - Zero
>> What I confess I don't quite get, Avant, is why the 'much loved Octavia' has
>> to go before the warranty runs out, but its replacement will have 'to last a
>> long time', presumably well beyond the warranty period.
>>
>> I can't see a six-year-old, well-maintained Octavia costing you much in unexpected repairs, so why
>> not start on the new long-life plan now, with a car you know, rather than
>> committing yourself for a long time to one that's new and unknown?

All together now - lets shout in unison

DSG
I think you're shouting on your own, Z. "I think I'll go back to an automatic this time" (Saab thread, not this one) suggests to me that the current Octavia is a manual.

In any case, Skoda advertises an extended warranty product that looks a lot like the BMW one I have, so a few hundred quid will cover against any major bills for two years - not that they're more probable than possible, even with DSG. Vastly less than the cost of a new car for that time.

The main issue sounds like seats, not warranty. In which case, better buy a Volvo.
>> >> Mazda CX-5 - you can't have a petrol automatic and the jury still seems to
>> be out on whether Mazda have nailed their diesel engine problems.

Why fixate on the SUV? A Mazda 6 estate can be had with a petrol engine and TC auto.
Fair point, WdB, but although the current Skoda is a manual, I want to go back to automatic, and Zero has brilliantly summarised the issue in three letters! Also what with moving house, two trips to Scotland and one to Switzerland, it's done 45,000 miles in 2.5 years and this year is probably the best time to change. And, crucially, SWMBO finds the seat bolsters difficult.

Thanks, Alanovic - not at all fixated on SUVs although the height off the ground helps; the Volvo V60 made up for lack of height with extreme comfort (and there's a Cross Country version which we will look at as well). I'll look at the Mazda 6 - checking first whether a spare wheel is an option.
Last edited by: Avant on Thu 11 Feb 16 at 10:14
I'll sell you my petrol auto Mazda 6 estate with spare wheel for £30k. Anytime you're passing Reading. Cash will be fine.

;-)
Ah, so the warranty is a red herring. You want a TC auto, better seats and a change - now!
}:---)
DSG no doubt, but I just got this by email:

www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-ateca/overview.html?dbgdid=4130385
Looks remarkably similar to the Kia Steerage
I suppose it's just a Tigwaaaan underneath.

Another bandwagon, but SEAT are pretty late for this one. I wonder if Skoda will be dragged on to it?
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 11 Feb 16 at 15:45
>> I wonder if Skoda will be dragged on to it?
>>
Oh yes. They've got four of them coming, apparently: www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/skoda/skoda-readies-four-new-suvs-why-the-czechs-are-going-crossover-crazy/

The more the merrier - might keep prices down and Skoda feels a better bet than SEAT. SEAT's dealers have a poor reputation and in some areas they're thin on the ground.
:-( I are disappoint. I had hoped someone would hold out against the tide. Seems all is lost. Even Jaaaaaaag are at it.
>> :-( I are disappoint. I had hoped someone would hold out against the tide. Seems
>> all is lost. Even Jaaaaaaag are at it.
>>
They make money - cost a fraction more than a car to build but sell for much higher prices.
Yarss. Mugs, 'int we?
 New car - making a shortlist - Boxsterboy
Avant, I would have thought that a BMW petrol TC auto (even with 8/9 gears) would, in the real world be a bit heavy on the wallet. I have another suggestion.

Citroen C4 Picasso. Can be had with TC auto with petrol or diesel engine, comfy, roomy, etc. etc. Infinitely better value than a BMW Active Tourer, X1, Audi Q3, if bought at the right (discounted) price, and real world depreciation probably less. Good reviews from a number of sources.
 New car - making a shortlist - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Avant,
If you like the V60 have you considered the V70, or if you are after extra height then there is of course the XC70?

You can have the same D4 with the 8-speed auto 'box and you also have the benefit of a bit of extra space too.

As the both the V70 and XC70 will be replaced in the next year or so, you may find that you will be able to haggle a really good deal on a new one (various brokers might even be able to offer a still better deal), and all of the small range that are available are really well equipped.

I would expect that you could get these for less than the equivalent V60 or the Cross Country version, as they are older and considered less desirable.

You won't win any fashion awards, granted! :)

I was not sold on the idea of these until I tried one, and it was good enough for me to get a new one in 2014 just after they face-lifted them and added the new D4 engine and geartronic auto 'box.

I have done 33k miles on it so far and am very happy, as is a colleague of mine who bought one last year.

If you look for an ex-demo car you will find that they are normally heavily discounted and also have a enhanced spec, with lots of goodies added too.

I know that others on here will think that you might need a cardigan, and a pipe and slippers to go with this option, but the discounts might be enough to run to more than one of each! I am in my mid 40's and I do not feel prematurely aged with ownership.....

I can't comment on the other cars on your list, but thought it worth at least mentioning.

Many thanks, SFD and others.

It sounds as if your Volvo D4 engine has been trouble-free: one of the HJ forum members has a V60 D4 and says that there is a problem with clogged EGR on this engine. Our local Volvo salesman says that the V60 EGR problem affected only early models with the D4 engine (well he would wouldn't he). Anyone know if it's a problem for newer ones? I'll probably wait for the 2017 model year version if I do go for a V60.

I didn't put any Citroens or Peugeots on the list because I don't like touchscreens at the best of times and I don't want to have to take my eye off the road for a whole lot of prodding just to change the temperature inside the car! Sounds petty but I think it could be infuriating.

That new SEAT sounds interesting: the VW Tiguan is a few months away but I'll have a look and see when this is coming: also the Mazda 6 estate.
Last edited by: Avant on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 15:34
 New car - making a shortlist - Slightlyfatdirector
>>>>It sounds as if your Volvo D4 engine has been trouble-free: one of the HJ forum members has a V60 D4 and says that there is a problem with clogged EGR on this engine.

Well my car was one of the early ones to have this new engine and a year ago this week, when leaving Paris a tortoise appeared on the dashboard (well, the image of one) telling me I had reduced performance - 'limp-home mode' for want of a better description - although actually I had full performance available, so I did NOT have a hairy 40mph drive back to the UK - thank god....

When it went to the dealer they kept the car for a couple of days and said that there was an EGR issue (or similar) where there was some sort of blockage, and they said that there was a modified part that they needed to get from Sweden. This was done, fitted with great service all round (I tootled round in a nice V60, but was glad of the extra space in my V70 when I got it back).

So was there an issue? Yes. Did it affect me other than a trip to the dealer? No.

It is not completely unusual for there to be teething problems with new tech, and I would think that if they knew how to mod this so quickly, then any newer cars will be fitted with the modified part and will have been for the last year at least.

Interestingly, my previous BMW 5-series had problems galore from new until the day I got rid of it 6 years later, by which time I knew the first names of all of the service staff there.

Other that this issue (and servicing) I have had no cause to see the Volvo dealer at all, which is exactly as it should be, and indeed was the case with the Volvo S60 I had before the BMW.
 New car - making a shortlist - Manatee

>> Interestingly, my previous BMW 5-series had problems galore from new until the day I got
>> rid of it 6 years later, by which time I knew the first names of
>> all of the service staff there.
>>

Not an uncommon experience with the marque, if reports from friends and colleagues are anything to go by.

Interesting to study this sort of thing. As long as they continue to work at the image and service, three bags full and we've washed your car for you etc., people are more inclined to think they have just been unlucky. When people have problems with a Ford or Vauxhall, they are more likely to blame the car/manufacturer. So people continue to think BMW are high quality cars when they are about half as reliable as average.

(Puts on tin hat).

>> I didn't put any Citroens or Peugeots on the list because I don't like touchscreens
>> at the best of times and I don't want to have to take my eye
>> off the road for a whole lot of prodding just to change the temperature inside
>> the car! Sounds petty but I think it could be infuriating.
>>

They don't all have touch-screens. The Peugeot 3008 might fit your bill, has no touch-screens and can be had with a TC auto diesel. Raised seating position and comfortable.
 New car - making a shortlist - Runfer D'Hills
Hmm yeah, but it looks a bit strange. If it's possible for a car to look fat, then those do.
 New car - making a shortlist - sherlock47
>>>can be had with a TC auto diesel.>>>

Not on the Peugeot website? Have they dropped the 1.6 petrol and 2.0 diesel in favor of new gen 1.2petrol and 1.6HDI?

>> >>>can be had with a TC auto diesel.>>>
>>
>> Not on the Peugeot website? Have they dropped the 1.6 petrol and 2.0 diesel in
>> favor of new gen 1.2petrol and 1.6HDI?
>>

Engine choice is now 1.2 petrol manual, 1.6 diesel man or auto, 2.0 diesel man.
>> Hmm yeah, but it looks a bit strange. If it's possible for a car to
>> look fat, then those do.
>>

I sort of know what you mean but facelift models look better. Or how about a DS5? Wonderful interior!
 New car - making a shortlist - Dutchie
Our lease runs out in June.We are looking at the C4 Grand Picasso again the new model. I've driven the car with the Semi Auto gearbox no problems with it.

My wife who is disabled finds the seats very comfortable.It is always a bit if a struggle getiing in or out a car for her.I help her it is the only way.

I love the space and comfort in the car.Big boot for the wheelchair and extra seats if needed.

The one we have now has a spare tyre(.Spacesafer) but I can put a full spare on.

New car - making a shortlist - cosec
You're not wrong about the Outlander PHEV spare wheel issue. Mine, fortunately a company car, had a puncture close to home a while ago. Called the lease company helpline and the AA appeared with a flatbed truck to take me to nearest Kwik Fit. They called the lease co to get approval for the new tyre, but lease co insisted that the replacement be of the same manufacturer (Toyo) etc as the originals. Of course, KWik Fit don't stock those.

After several calls, it emerges that the lease co have noticed that these cars go into limp home mode after about 100 miles on a new tyre of a different manufacturer.

Impasse follows, with me stuck in Kwik Fit Bedford when I am meant to be making my way to York. Eventually tracked down a Mitsubishi dealer with a spare and got the AA to take me there. Took a whole flipping day to sort.

Lease co have now changed their procedure so I would be taken direct to a Mitsu dealer with correct tyre but what a faf.
Last edited by: cosec on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 20:57
 New car - making a shortlist - Zero
>> Impasse follows, with me stuck in Kwik Fit Bedford when I am meant to be
>> making my way to York. Eventually tracked down a Mitsubishi dealer with a spare and
>> got the AA to take me there. Took a whole flipping day to sort.

I would be kicking lease company butt and demanding an immediate hire car while THEY sort it out. Thats why your company pays a lease company and you pay tax on it.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 21:00
 New car - making a shortlist - rtj70
If the issue with a tyre happened with my company/lease car I'd leave them to sort it and expect the hire car to arrive with an hour. That's partly why I stay in the scheme - hassle free motoring when needed. If you aren't benefiting then why not have your own car.
Oh I did Zero. In my previous post I used the term company car loosely. It is actually a salary sacrifice benefit rather than a co car so I do not get a hire car as I used to with a regular co car.

In fact the lease co was very apologetic and did a lot to help. Still, I do like the car a lot. The puncture came from the farm my wife works on. She takes her own car now!
"Lease co have now changed their procedure so I would be taken direct to a Mitsu dealer with correct tyre but what a faf."

A faf for the lease co as well, no doubt. These companies could strike a blow for us all by refusing to lease cars with no provision for a spare, and insisting on its being specified where it's an option.

I think we'll win this battle eventually. Toyota, for example, are apparently including a s[are as standard on their new models.
Are spares not removed now so that car is that bit lighter and can get lower emissions and better mpg in official tests?
Which may explain why my big bloated heavy Hyundai had a full size alloy spare!!
They are indeed for those very reasons, which is why I've no objection to their being offered as an option, nor to space-savers. What I object to is designs where there's not even room for one in the boot.
 New car - making a shortlist - Tigger
>> Are spares not removed now so that car is that bit lighter and can get
>> lower emissions and better mpg in official tests?

That's the reason given. I'm sure the cost saving is entirely incidental.
 New car - making a shortlist - Manatee

>> Lease co have now changed their procedure so I would be taken direct to a
>> Mitsu dealer with correct tyre but what a faf.

But do they all have Toyo tyres on them I wonder? The wheels and tyres are the same size as those on my diesel Outlander that came with Continental tyres.

The FAQs advise "When replacing tyres, always use tyres of the same brand, tread pattern, size and speed rating. If the vehicle detects a tyre of a different rolling radius (however slight) it will indicate that an EV service is required."

The absence of a spare of some kind is a deal breaker for me. I'm not really that happy about the space saver on mine.
Wouldn't an unused spare Toyo have a different radius from the part-worn one on the road wheel? In which case, wouldn't you have to do some kind of one-by-one rotation each week to keep the radii the same?
Perhaps I should Wdb! But, do you know what, I can't be 'arrised, I suspect you could bung any old tyre on it and it would be fine, but I did not fancy a trip to York in limp home mode just in case they were correct.

That was the first puncture I gave had for a very long time, at least 5 years. Do they make tyres better now? Who knows.
 New car - making a shortlist - mikeyb
>> Wouldn't an unused spare Toyo have a different radius from the part-worn one on the
>> road wheel? In which case, wouldn't you have to do some kind of one-by-one rotation
>> each week to keep the radii the same?
>>

Not sure what type of 4X4 system the PHEV has, but I would have thought that you should change both the tyres on the same axle really
That's my point, Mikey - you can't easily easily change two at once at the roadside, so you'd have to rotate the spare and the road wheels frequently enough to keep the radii from diverging. That way you always have a spare of the same radius as the road wheels, whereas anything else would generate the error Cosec describes.

Impractical? Of course, but it's what the Mitsubishi-Toyo stipulation implies. In practice, I doubt the system can be that sensitive and any tyre ought to do - but what would be the effect on the warranty?
 New car - making a shortlist - No FM2R
I don't know if it is really that sensitive, but on the Phaeton I was always told that all *4* wheels had to be the same.

A nightmare if one got an unrepairable puncture on what were fairly uncommon sizes.

I never had the courage to ignore the rule.
I can imagine my lease company's response if I insisted on replacing all four tyres when I got a puncture. I suspect it would not be a polite response!
Then you would do what I did many years ago when my lease company told me that my tyres couldn't be replaced at the mileage that they were on - I simply asked for their written confirmation of their position and confirmation that I was safe to continue to drive it on their authority.

The tyres were replaced immediately
>> I simply asked for their written confirmation of their position and confirmation that I was
>> safe to continue to drive it on their authority.
>>
I love these kinds of posts. I've done that twice - once on a leased company car where they put lower speed rating tyres on and once on my daughter's SEAT that had a maintenance contract and they swapped the fronts for eco tyres.

Both times they just said "no".

I did get our fleet manager to mandate like-for-like when one of the leasing companies started fitting budget tyres and Peugeot kindly said they would point that out if they were asked to investigate a serious accident.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sun 14 Feb 16 at 22:53
I don't really understand why you love these kind of posts.

In my case one time PHH agreed that the front tyres on my Cavalier should be replaced. Then, as others cottoned on, the policy was changed to remove the mileage restriction. The second time I think it was Hertz on a Series 5 BMW, and they simply authorised the tyre supplier they had initially refused without referring back to me..

I have no idea why such an approach failed for you. Perhaps I was just lucky. Or something.
 New car - decision time - Avant
I've taken my time, and the search has been fun - but I've gone for the Volvo V60. It's the D4 SE Nav with 8-speed torque converter automatic.

The final three in contention were the Volvo and the Audi Q3 as mentioned above, and an additional runner which I'd overlooked, the VW Golf Alltrack estate. Both BMWs in the frame, the X1 and 2-series Active Tourer, turned out to be too expensive. My preferred method, to get quotes from one or more brokers and try to get the local dealer to match them, failed because BMW won't deal with some brokers and have very mean offers with others. With these two models at least, there is very little discounting: the X1 of course is a new model.

The Q3 just wasn't as sharp to drive as the current Octavia, but the 4WD Golf was much better and I liked it a lot. It has more luggage room than the Volvo and a better turning circle, but like the Octavia vRS it has substantial side bolsters on the front seats which SWMBO found just as difficult, particularly when getting out.

The Volvo - in my view at least - is just as good to drive as the Golf and the BMWs, and although it isn't particularly high off the ground, seat comfort and ease of entry and exit were far the best.

In both cases the local dealers in Yeovil managed to meet the price quoted by the broker. I spoke to the service manager at Yeovil Volvo who readily admitted the EGR problem, but said that Volvo have (in the last few weeks) found a fix and that new cars won't have the problem. We shall see - but on balance it's a lesser risk than of something going wrong with a VW Group DSG.

Hopefully it'll be no more than 2 months (factory order) but I'm in no hurry. The Skoda - my third - has been terrific and I'll miss it.
 New car - decision time - WillDeBeest
Well played, Avant. And thanks for inviting us into the selection process. Hope it works out well for you.
 New car - decision time - Runfer D'Hills
Enjoy it Avant ! And indeed enjoy a period when you don't have to explain why you bought what you did as Skoda drivers seem inclined to do.

;-)
 New car - decision time - Mr Moo
Is that a 4 or 5 pot Avant? Sounds like a nice motor!
 New car - decision time - rtj70
>> Is that a 4 or 5 pot Avant? Sounds like a nice motor!

I thought all Volvo's were now 4 cylinders. No doubt some will be 3 cylinder soon.
 New car - decision time - Avant
That's right - the new engines are all fours.

I've read that Volvo are about to offer the T5 245 bhp petrol engine in the V60 (it's already available in the V40) - tempting, but probably an expensive alternative.
Latest Forum Posts