Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 6   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 98

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 6 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 7 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 21:18

Hockenheim - Tooslow
I was curious to see the old circuit but the shot from the helicopter going round it was cut to something else. I've had a look at the photos on Google Earth. They're worth a look.

JH

Hockenheim - L'escargot
Eddie Jordan likes to stir things up. It may, of course, be part of his job description.

And why was Ferrari's fine in US dollars? Wouldn't Euros have been more appropriate?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 06:41

Hockenheim - Zero
Dollars is the currency of F1. All fuel, tyres, transport, etc etc is paid in dollars.

Hockenheim - Mike Hannon
Apparently the fine was 'on the spot', according to the Telegraph.
The FIA council will consider the matter but not until after next week's round in Hungary.

Hockenheim - J Bonington Jagworth
"The FIA council will consider the matter but not until after next week's round in Hungary."

So unlikely that points will get docked or positions changed. I imagine the outcome would have been very different if it was any other team. Maclaren is given Ferrari documents, which it doesn't use, and gets fined $100m - Ferrari fixes a race and gets fined $100k...
No change there, then.

Hockenheim - Oldgit
I have now been watching F1 was little over 1 year now. The whole thing appears to be a bit of a fix, to my way of thinking. I will probably watch the rest of this season and then give it up.

Hockenheim - PR
On auditing McLarens computer networks the FIA found they had used Ferrari data. That is when McLaren admitted it. The penalty for that was expulsion from that and the next championships. They got a fine instead.

Hockenheim - J Bonington Jagworth
PR - Ron Dennis said (after the FIA hearing):

"We have never denied that the information from Ferrari was in the personal possession of one of our employees at his home. The issue is: Was this information used by McLaren? This is not the case and has not been proven today."

I'm mostly just a casual observer of F1 (I find MotoGP a lot more exciting - no team orders there!) but I can't help feeling that the outcomes both then and now would have been very different if Ferrari hadn't been involved. I'd like to know what Ross Brawn thought of yesterday's events, though...

Hockenheim - PR
Take what Ron says with a pinch of salt...

news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7143149.stm
Last edited by: PR on Wed 28 Jul 10 at 14:40

Hockenheim - henry k
Bernie Ecclestone calls for return to team orders

Jenson Button has hit out at Ferrari over the race "fixing" affair that could see the Italian team thrown out of the sport.

All good publicity stuff

Hockenheim - hobby
>> All good publicity stuff
>>
>>
>>

Thats all it is... we know that the Red Team will never get thrown out, or the spoiled little person they now have as their "No 1" driver...

Race fixing and you get a fine of £65k... I hope the rest are taking note...

Though it would be nice if they did call their bluff and expell them... for once justice might be seen to be done... Just out of interest does anyone know if Bernie has any influence with this other lot that its been referred to...

(BTW is someone on holiday?)
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 27 Jul 10 at 15:50

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 6 - IJWS14

To pick up on a post from vol 5 . . . .

>> Send an invoice to Ferrari, quoting your loss. You never know. :-)

Send it to the FIA - we need to make a point that this is not a closed shop, there are people outside the FIA and the teams taking decisions on the races and they should be races

I feel like writing to the CEO of Santander asking how his company feels now it is associated with a team which fixes races! Now if Santander put some pressure on Ferrari . . . . . .

But Alonso is Spanish isn't he, now he has two fixed race victories!

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 6 - Dulwich Estate
I'm so bored by F1 now that I usually don't even click to open any F1 thread on here. I've made an exception to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the driving of Ayrton Senna and of the others they showed on Top Gear last night.

It's just not the same anymore now - every race is a long procession livened up by a tyre change or a bit of rain. No sliding about and very rare really exciting overtaking moves. It's more a case of high speed multi-coloured chess. Out of habit, I again watched the start yesterday and switched off after couple of laps.

To cap it all, reading in the paper today it seems that fixing races is now also allowed (What's $100,000 to Ferrari - the champagne bill for a couple of weeks ?)

There was time I'd go to European Grands Prix with our tent or queue for ages to get out of Brands and Silverstone but still feel I'd had a good day.

I think my switch-on, watch two laps and switch-off habit is now broken too.

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 6 - rtj70
Watching the old footage on Top Gear in the Senna piece reminded me why I enjoyed watching F1 so much in the 80s and early 90s. Anything could and did happen. Now most of a race is watched fast forwarded because it's mostly a procession. Now it's only usually interesting if it rains.

Hungary GP - Stuu
Friday practice is on atm. I think the commentry, including Chandok ( if he doesnt make it as a ddriver, get him on commentry, smart guy by all accounts ) is more informative than anything else you hear on the race weekend.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Jul 10 at 13:48

Hungary GP - Ian (Cape Town)
1. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault 1:18.773

2. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:19.184

3. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 1:19.987

4. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 1:20.331

Expect some fireworks off the startline, I'd say!

Hungary GP - Zero
Seb, some words of advice mate. Try looking forward and getting to the corner first, rather than looking sideways trying to pinch someone else off the edge of the track.

Hungary GP - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Seb, some words of advice mate. Try looking forward and getting to the corner first,
>> rather than looking sideways trying to pinch someone else off the edge of the track.
>>
>>
Quite.
Went go-karting on Monday, with the mob from work. This philosophy paid off - hooned away from the start, and then kept the cornering lines tight, as the rest of the mob played dodgems behind me!
Great fun was had by all - even the numpty who got himself black-flagged!

Hungary GP - Manatee
Hoping for some fireworks today; Webber will have his dander up and Vettel on exactly the same points total will be out to get his nose in front again. Horner has painted himself into a corner on team orders with his pronouncements on Ferrari.

If those two end up line astern there should either be some good racing or a coming together.

I do agree with Horner's position on team orders though. What surprises me is how little weight has been given to the obvious unfairness to other championship contenders - Webber, Vettel, Hamilton and Button have enough on racing each other, and they must be incensed at the idea that Alsonso could beat them by using what are really Massa's points.

Derek Warwick yesterday was saying that it was very poor - then went on to say it would have been OK if they'd made it look better. This cannot be described as sport.

Hungarian GP - corax
Just seen Schumacher almost push Barrichello into the wall. 'He's going to get past me so I'll push him into the wall'. Give it up Schumacher. That was out of order.

Just tidied things up a bit as this had nothing to do with the Villeneuve's Death 1982 discussion that it was originally tagged onto.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Aug 10 at 19:25

Hungary GP - Manatee
>>Just seen Schumacher almost push Barrichello into the wal

Outrageous behaviour from Schumacher. Barrichello had complained seconds before that MS was closing the gap too late. Proof wasn't far behind. Psychopathic behaviour from MS. I wonder what the penalty will be.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 1 Aug 10 at 14:56

Hungary GP - smokie
The safety car and all surrounding it made it a more interesting race than I thought it was going to be. The incidents in the pits could have worked out a lot worse than they did. Schuey should have his licence suspended for his move on Rubens, it was downright dangerous. Webber is having the season of his life and seems to be a thoroughly good egg along with it. Vettel gets a bit sulky when things don't go his way. Feel a bit sorry for Lewis.

I think the BBC coverage is fantastic from beginning to end. I noticed Christian Horner break off from another interview pre-race when he saw Martin approaching. Jensen was a bit stilted with the old dears on the seafront but he and Jake seem to get on well. Coulthard gives a balanced view, when you recall how whiney he was when he was a driver, and I'm sure Eddie is there mainly for comedy value.

Hungary GP - Manatee
MS has got off lightly with a 10 place grid drop for "impeding car 9". Impeding was the least of it, perhaps he was lucky not to get worse for dangerous conduct.

Hungary GP - rtj70
Just finished watching this. That was a terrible move by Michael - it could ended up quite nasty IMO. He deserved more than a 10 grid places drop (assuming that's what he got - I've avoided news to not know the result).

Webber is having a run of good luck and deserved wins now. I think I'd like him to win the championship this year.

That pit lane stuff could have resulted in some injuries but somehow they all got away with it.

Hungary GP - corax
>>Vettel gets a bit sulky when things don't go his way

Hilarious on the podium. I've never seen anyone look so miserable squirting that champagne around. The look on his face! Mind you, that expression was the usual for Raikkonen wasn't it?

Hungary GP - swiss tony
>> >>Just seen Schumacher almost push Barrichello into the wall
>>

At last Schumacher has shown some of his old form.
I cannot, and will not forgive that idiot for what he did to Damon Hill, and Villeneuve...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfby7GaMXmo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfuoSFerDU

Hungary GP - Tooslow
st, I see we're in the same branch of the MS fan club! :-)

JH

Hungarian GP - Tooslow
Yup. He's no sportsman. And it's not as if he had much to lose.

JH
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Aug 10 at 19:21

Hungarian GP - Roger.
Rubens has just said that Shooey's move was the most dangerous moment that he (Rubens) had had in F1.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Aug 10 at 19:20

Hungarian GP - hobby
Whats that saying about leopard and his spots... nothing changes, then...

Hungarian GP - Iffy
That stuff in the pits was funny - the Keystone Cops were never that good.

Kept me awake.

Hungarian GP - Tooslow
Yes, it was all the fun of the fair in the pit lane when the safety car went out. And what a cracking race by Webber.

A question - we heard so much about McLaren's f duct at the start of the season and how much of a straight line speed advantage it gave them. It doesn't seem to have helped in any of the races. Maybe Red Bull's diffuser is more effective and they kept quiet about it. We were still hearing this apparent hooey at the last race. Do you think the commentators have finally realised and shut up about it? No mention in this race of it giving any advantage.

JH

Hungarian GP - Stuu
Bit of a dull race really, I fast forwarded most of the middle of the race after Hamilton retired - I was hoping to see a Ferrari/McLaren fight but that died so the only bit worth watching was the Scu squeeze - well deserved penalty, no need Mikey.
Good for Webber - I wonder if he left Vettel so far behind just before the restart on purpose. Hope so :-)

Hungarian GP - smokie
I'd assumed that Seb was trying to let Webber get away so that he could hold back the rest and get Mark into the pits for his tyre change (not on team orders of course!!). But no, he was sleeping, so he said...

Hungarian GP - Zero
Just watched it on Iplayer. I was always of the opinion that schumacher was probably the best all round driver F1 had ever seen - no longer. That move on Rubens was an utter disgrace. His racing license should be suspended for the rest of the season.

Hungarian GP - Westpig
That move on Rubens was an utter disgrace. His racing license should be suspended for the rest of the season.
>>
Agreed. That wasn't a legitimate covering of an option, that was waiting too late, then trying to intimidate the following driver in to not trying it again. If he'd wanted to cover that part of the track, he should have sidled over there a bit earlier, so he was already there and make Barrichelo go the long way around.

That was extremely dangerous and most unsporting. There again some of them think the end result is everything and sportingness counts for nothing, how sad.

Hungarian GP - swiss tony
>> Just watched it on Iplayer. I was always of the opinion that Schumacher was probably
>> the best all round driver F1 had ever seen - no longer.

The thing is, I have always regarded Schumacher as a brilliant driver, but one who all to often does really stupid, needless, and dangerous actions.
Its almost like, when under pressure a red mist comes up, and removes all sense of decency, and fair play - to the point of wishing to cause harm to his opponents - take those 2 links I posted, today's episode, and that time he launched into the path of Hill when his front wheels were point in opposite directions.. (can anyone remember what race that was in?)

Hungarian GP - Zero
Nothing to do with decency and fair play, there is no room in F1, a sport of mind games, tricks, cheating and skullduggery, for fair play and decency, and long may that continue.

However, with guys prepared to lay their lives on the line (or at the least suspend sense of self preservation) there is no room for seriously endangering someone elses life *on purpose*.

Schumachers moves against Damon and Jaques were not downright dangerous, the move against Rubens, at that speed, was seriously life threatening*, and worse, for no good reason as no title challenge was at stake.

*pinch another car into a concrete wall at 180mph means one or both could have been catapulted into the crowd or pits.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 Aug 10 at 22:16

Hungarian GP - rtj70
Zero, based in what I probably recall seeing in accidents.... I personally believe had Rubens been in contact with the wall at that speed (we're talking high speed over taking) he's have flipped or something similar and probably only survive because of the safety designed into the cars. Do that in Senna's day and it would be a lot worse due to crash protection.

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - BiggerBadderDave
I've just been reading through Murray Walker's history of F1 in the June issue of F1 Racing (yes post takes a long time to reach me).

He says something that intrigues me but doesn't expand upon it. He's talking about rivalries within the same garage and goes on to write: Tragically the rupture between Gilles Villeneuve and Didier Pironi at Ferrari in 1982 was even worse. Pironi reneging on a pre-race agreement at Imola undoubtedly contributed to Villeneuve's violent death at Zolder in 1982.

I can't find a connection. I understand what happened at Imola and why Villeneuve went on to despise Pironi but I can't find a connection between that and his death when he collided with Jochen Mass on a qualifying outlap. A slowdown lap.

Any theories?

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - Ian (Cape Town)
from Wiki:
The accident came less than two weeks after an intense argument with his team-mate, Didier Pironi, over Pironi's move to pass Villeneuve at the preceding San Marino Grand Prix.

Villeneuve died after an accident during the final qualifying session for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. At the time of the crash, Pironi had set a time 0.1s faster than Villeneuve for sixth place. Villeneuve was using his final set of qualifying tyres, which were probably already past their best, and many writers say that he was attempting to improve his time on his final lap. Some suggest that he was specifically aiming to beat Pironi.[33] However, Villeneuve's biographer Gerald Donaldson quotes Ferrari race engineer Mauro Forghieri as saying that the Canadian, although pressing on in his usual fashion, was returning to the pits when the accident occurred.[34] If so, he would not have set a time on that lap.

I've got something about this at home, somewhere - final interview stuff. I'll try to dig it out tomorrow.

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - BiggerBadderDave
Hi Ian. That kind of muddies the waters because it still suggests that he was on an outlap.

If someone wrote that Schumacher's dominance of the early 1994 season contributed to the death of Ayrton Senna, I'd understand and perhaps agree to a certain extent. But these two events seem too isolated and disparate.

Yet Murray seems adamant.

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - bathtub tom
>>If someone wrote that Schumacher's dominance of the early 1994 season contributed to the death of Ayrton Senna, I'd understand and perhaps agree to a certain extent.

I thought I was the only person to think that!

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - Zero
ooo no, its widely known. Schumacher had Senna rattled. The Williams, quick but twitchy, was set up by and for him, on the very edge of stability in the search for more speed. Senna never really considered his personal safety in the search for victory, and his desire to beat schumacher was all consuming, to the extent it killed him.

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - Hard Cheese

>> and his desire to beat schumacher was all consuming, to the extent it killed him.
>>

It is interesting that Senna is seen as a hero despite driving various rivals off the road in much more blatant and dangerous circumstances than anything Schu has been accused of whereas the latter is vilified, sure Senna's reputation would have been tainted had he survived.

The truth is that it is this ruthless streak that sets the greats apart.

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - Iffy
I don't view Schumacher's move on Barrichelo yesterday in such a bad light as some commentators, and some people on here.

Had Schu wanted to stuff him into the wall, he would have done.

When Schu veered most noticeably to the right, the wall had 'run out', and there was space for Barrichelo to swerve out of the way, which he did.

I'm no expert, but given the weedy grid penalty, maybe the stewards didn't see the incident in quite such a bad light, either.

Watch it all again from all the various angles. Then listen to any comment from any of the racing drivers.

>> It is interesting that Senna is seen as a hero despite driving various rivals off
>> the road in much more blatant and dangerous circumstances than anything Schu has been accused

I would have agreed with you, however Schumachers antics on Sunday sets him poles apart from anything Senna did.

Senna was a naturally dirty driver, something he had all the way form his days in carts.

Villeneuve's Death 1982 - Hard Cheese

>> I would have agreed with you, however Schumachers antics on Sunday sets him poles apart from anything Senna did.
>>

To the contray, running Prost off the track was far more dangerous and clearly pre-meditated.

>> To the contray, running Prost off the track was far more dangerous and clearly pre-meditated.

It was actually pretty safely done in relative terms, rather like a police type action over a failry safe runoff area.

The one in hungary this sunday, was at much higher speed and involved a wall.

Hockenheim team orders - Hard Cheese

I have been away though a few quick comments.

I feel sorry for Massa who deserved the victory, I also think Alnoso could have handled it better post race likewise Domenicalli who was in a difficult position.

I also feel it was unnecessary with 8 races left in the season and the possibility that Massa could still prevail over Alonso.

On the otherhand F1 is a team sport and therefore driver's will be required to drive in the team's interest and when they dont it is destructive, i.e McLaren 2007. Subsequently in '08 and '09 Kovalienen was clearly there to support Hamilton.

Since Shu left Ferrari they have not had a number one driver, Massa supported Raikonnen when he had a shot at the title in '07 and in turn Raikonnen supported Massa in '08. Ferrari gave Massa the lower race number for 2010, 7 rather than 8, acknowledging his higher place on the '09 championship and thus making him first named and therefore ostensibly the team leader. It is clear that had Massa been leadimng Alonso in the championship or even if they were both close to the lead then he would not have relinquished the place, also had the roles been reversed Alonso would have been exepcted to reliquish the win to support Massa.

Hockenheim team orders - Iffy
...Schumachers antics on Sunday...

I wonder if the stewards take into account the age and experience of the two drivers?

It's Formula One - big boys' school - and involves two of the most experienced drivers on the track.

Would Schumacher's penalty have been greater had he tried it on with a rookie?
Last edited by: ifithelps on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 09:13

>> ...Schumachers antics on Sunday...
>>

Despite being Schu's boss Ross Brawn's comments seem well balanced in my view:

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85816

Hockenheim team orders - Zero
>> Despite being Schu's boss Ross Brawn's comments seem well balanced in my view:
>>
>> www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85816

Because Ross Brawn is schumachers boss, his remarks are very partisan and reflect only the view of Schumacher, Brawn and their boss Norbert Haug.

Hockenheim team orders - hobby
Why? (To C's post!) As you said earlier, its far too early in the season for 5 points or so to make that much difference (and those 5 points could be just as vital for Massa at the end of the season!)... As for McLaren and destruction of the team... the only thing that episode did was show that McLaren are right to have an "equal" bias(!) and that Alonso is a spoilt brat who can't stand any decent competition in "his" team... rather like Schuey!

"The truth is that it is this ruthless streak that sets the greats apart"

I agree to a certain extent with you there, C, though the true greats can do it by skill alone... I never remember anyone accusing Fangio of that... or even the likes of Clark or Stewart...
Last edited by: hobby on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 09:17

they were all "robust" at times. Very few world champs have not been robust, although Damon hill never knew the meaning of the word.

>> As for McLaren and destruction of the team... the only thing that episode did was show that McLaren are right to have an "equal" bias(!) >>

Of course by destructive I meant counter productive.

McLaren's equal status? Well they have been obliged to this year beyond the fact the JB's status make him no.1 though for the last two years the effort has been behind Hamilton as clear number one.

>> McLaren's equal status? Well they have been obliged to this year beyond the fact the
>> JB's status make him no.1 though for the last two years the effort has been
>> behind Hamilton as clear number one.
>>
>>
>>

Rather than get into a tit for tat argument with an Alonso fan, I'll just say I disagree with your comment! ;-)

So you disagree with me when I say that Kova was the clear no. 2 to Hamilton then?

Otherwise what has disagreeing with my comment got to do with getting into a tit for tat argument with an Alonso fan?

Yep I do disagree with you... Kovi simply wasn't as good...

But thats my last word on it...

Have fun!

I thnk Kov was employed as a clear no2 driver.

Red Bull breaches the rules ! ! ! - IJWS14
Clearly watched Mark Webber take off the steering wheel AND the padding round the cockpit as he lst the car.

A clear breach of rule 13.1.3 - driver must be3 able to exit the car without removing any part of the car except the steering wheel.

Disqualify the red bulls!

Red Bull breaches the rules ! ! ! - Tooslow
an odd rule since all of the cars have that U shaped removable bit around the driver. Seems to be part of the protection and therefore, probably, requird by legislation.

JH

Schumacher, the human side. - Hard Cheese

Hey!

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85828

Schumacher, the human side. - Tooslow
Good grief! A pig just whizzed past the window, banked, climbed to 500 feet and headed off to the West.

Too little, too late (by several years) Mikey.

JH
 Schumacher, the human side. - Old Navy
I wonder who leaned on Shuey, must have been someone of considerable influence.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 15:32

Schumacher, the human side. - Zero
He must of caught wind of a potentially worse punishment coming.

True, a dangerous driving punishment would be no joke. I think F1 in general could do with the odd ton of bricks here and there to enforce the rules.

Schumacher, the human side. - Suppose
>>
>> Hey!
>>
>> www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85828
>>

He has got you all fooled.
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8878400.stm
Schumacher wrote on his website: "The manoeuvre against him was too hard.
"I didn't want to endanger him with my manoeuvre. If he had this feeling I am sorry, this was not my intention."
Unquote

So he is not sorry that the manoeuvre was dangerous, but sorry that BARRICHELLO had that feeling.

Schumacher, the human side. - Hard Cheese

>> He has got you all fooled.
>>

Aw c'mon, he said "I must say that the stewards were right with their assessment: the move against him was too hard,".

Schumacher, the human side. - hobby
I suspect only time will tell... but at least its a start!

>> I suspect only time will tell... but at least its a start!
>>
What is the saying about Leopards and spots ?

Schumacher, the human side. - hobby
Perhaps he has some good washing up liquid and can get rid of them! :-)

Schumacher, the human side. - Perky Penguin
Typical German - agressive and a bad loser

Hungary - Armel Coussine
Never mind Schumacher. I don't think he will be there next season.

My man Kobayashi did well as usual. When he caught Button he followed him round for the rest of the race absorbing smooth-driving tips. I do hope someone offers him a drive in something competitive next year.

Driver's title race still interesting. I wouldn't mind at all if Webber won it, assuming neither of our matinee idols can.

Hungary - Zero
>> My man Kobayashi did well as usual. When he caught Button he followed him round
>> for the rest of the race absorbing smooth-driving tips.

LOL only you could spin that one round. He was towed round the track.

Hungary - Armel Coussine
What on earth are you talking about Zero? He didn't have the speed to get past Button, but easily kept up with him. If that involved being 'towed' it would have been more, not less, difficult to stay with Button.

I still remember Kobayashi (admittedly on fresh tyres while Button was on knackered ones) passing Button round the outside of a bend last season. He will go far I think.

I had to watch the Hungary race on Iplayer, with the broadband connection crashing at intervals and having to be rebooted. But it wasn't one of the better races so far.

Hungary - Tooslow
I don't like the way that the BBC are introducing politics into F1. What's all this Red Button malarky then? :-)

JH

Hungary - Zero
>> What on earth are you talking about Zero? He didn't have the speed to get
>> past Button, but easily kept up with him. If that involved being 'towed' it would
>> have been more, not less, difficult to stay with Button.

Butto0n wasnt fast, its very easy to follow (and actually be "towed" by) someone else round a track who is not nuking it every lap. Any second rate driver could do it.

I am not doubting Kobs get up and go or his outright speed, but you picked a bad demonstration of it. I doubt kobs wil get far, he doesent have the brains or guile, but he will be entertaining, and they should give him the wheels to entertain with.

Hungary - Armel Coussine
Oh all right, have it your own way if you insist Zeddo. But if 'any second rate driver could do it', why weren't they all on Button's gnyash as well?

I'm impressed that you have a clear impression of Kobayashi's brains and guile, or lack of them. I wouldn't underrate the average Japanese for either myself. Their average IQ is higher than ours it is said.

Schumacher, the human side. - henry k
>> Typical German - agressive and a bad loser
>>
He was nearly a total looser.
"Schumacher close to being disqualified - Derek Warwick"

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8880167.stm

Spa GP - Tooslow
A good one (Spa) I thought. Pity Button got shunted out. Vettel is off my list of people I'd be happy to see win the championship now after two shunts and some shenanigans with Alonso in the pit lane. And how did Rosberg get past MS and Kobayashi? I've watched it three times and I still can't work it out. He just seems to casually drift past, no real overtaking manouevre to speak of. Nice.

JH
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 00:37

Spa GP - Armel Coussine
Yes Ts, at one point Kobayashi was lying 7th and I hoped he would finish there, but something happened and he didn't.

I suppose Vettel's team won't be all that angry with him. They will probably think he meant well but t-boned the wrong McLaren.

Interesting race and a result that pleases me anyway. Ardennes weather wall to wall at the moment though innit?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 00:38

Spa - henry k
Alonso did not have any impact :-)

Spa GP - corax
>> A good one (Spa) I thought. Pity Button got shunted out. Vettel is off my
>> list of people I'd be happy to see win the championship now after two shunts
>> and some shenanigans with Alonso in the pit lane.

I agree, Vettel was one of my favourites, but he's rapidly lost his cool. I'm pleased for Hamilton, didn't he have points taken away last year? Rather unfairly I thought. Proved himself as one of the rainmasters again, and Liuzzi who looked like he was enjoying himself.

Spa GP - Zero
>> I agree, Vettel was one of my favourites, but he's rapidly lost his cool.

He has the raw pace, but none of the guile, racecraft, brains or temperament to win it. Its a learning curve that all the young guns have to go through. Give them a race winning car, a sniff of the title, and the testosterone turns their brains to mush. Its all cured with age or when you fluke your first title.

Spa GP - Stuu
A fun filled race in a superb setting.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 00:39

Spa GP - bathtub tom
Can anyone explain why the Mclaren sounds so different on the overrun?

Spa GP - Zero
The blown diffuser apparently.

Exhaust gasses that used to exit at the back of the engine cowl, are now directed over a series of ducts and flaps at the rear of the floor.

Spa GP - Armel Coussine
>> now directed over a series of ducts and flaps at the rear of the floor.

Nah nah... it's one of those exhaust brakes that Aussie truckers are supposed not to use in small towns at night, but use anyway so that you and your wife in an ill-chosen motel keep being woken up by sudden loud snoring noises and blaming each other.

That's what it is.

Spa GP - Bellboy
nice one AC
stayed in a hotel for a family gathering in Knaresborough a few years ago
the most dreadfull airconditioning unit for noise youve ever heard outside by our window
stayed another time in noddy holder land and the room was above the pool,how we sweated all night
cant beat your own bed at the end of the day...........

Spa GP - Perky Penguin
Zero - a newspaper reporter commented that Vettel had most of the unpleasant aspects of the Schumacher character but without the driving ability to back it up, or words to that effect. I think you said it first!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 07:29

Spa GP - Zero
Wow, the ultimate compliment - to be plagarised.

Unless it was a reporter for the Sun,

Spa GP - Iffy
Six hours of live motor racing on ITV 4 today.

Touring cars, single seaters and one-make races from Knockhill.

Can't spend all day watching it, but will fit a race or two into my busy schedule.

Spa GP - Zero
Watched the BTCC, (thanks iffy - nearly missed it).

Knockhill has to be the most spectacular track int he UK, at times they are flying all 4 wheels off.

I see that donnigton is back on stream, the next round is due from there this month?

Spa GP - BobbyG
Recorded this yesterday and will fast forward through the adverts etc.

Agree though, went a couple of years ago for the BTCC, you can literally walk round the full circuit, loads of different great angles, clash points etc although the best is probably the hairpin where as a s spectator so close, you get to see the various driving techniques on show.

I believe that every driver coming away from the hairpin is solely focussed on his wing mirrors making sure they can block anyone behind from passing.

Ferrari team orders - FIA decison in full - Suppose
It is reported that Alonso was not really faster than Massa due to his inate driving ability, it was do with their engines being turned up or down respectively.

Read the full decision here
drop.io/f1fanatic/asset/4971b47bd01-pdf

Autosport www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86508 has this gem:

"The report also revealed that a few laps before the radio communication where Rob Smedley informed Massa that Alonso was faster than him, both drivers had been ordered to turn their engines down – before the Spaniard was allowed to turn his up again.

"Alonso increased his engine speed without Mr Felipe Massa's being informed," revealed the FIA document. "Mr Fernando Alonso was therefore benefiting from a definite performance advantage over Mr Felipe Massa in the moments preceding the contentious overtaking." "

Lewis and Jensen on the spanners - Robin O'Reliant
Don't know how much they did themselves, but I bet neither of them would drive it -

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/formulaonevideo/7889576/Lewis-Hamilton-and-Jenson-Button-assemble-McLaren-F1-racing-car.html

Latest Forum Posts