Motoring Discussion > FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 12

FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - tyrednemotional
...as some of you may have gathered from previous posts, I run a motorhome, which is based on the latest Fiat Ducato X/290.

The previous 'van I had was based on the Mk7 Transit, and the instrument visibility in sunlight was abysmal (particularly the trip meter/info reading).

It was a much-complained about Transit fault, which I was looking forward to losing when I changed to my current vehicle.

Unfortunately, the instrument that is virtually unreadable (and at its worst in sunlight) on this one is the speedometer. It is so bad that one can't take in the current speed with a glance (and we're not talking fleeting), which isn't good when you're trying to avoid speeding whilst not crashing into the vehicle in front.

It transpires that the motorhome forums are full of such complaints (for RHD vehicles, where all the geometry and natural lighting is different to LHD), and that several complaints have been made to VOSA seeking a recall.

Unlike most of the cars I've driven recently, the instruments are not back-lit with the ignition, but only with external lighting - and the latest Ducato only has headlights on and off, not a sidelight setting, as it has DRLs (with which the instruments aren't illuminated).

I've commented that it looked as though the panel had been designed for permanent illumination (or at least in RHD form, needed it), and I became so frustrated at not being able to quickly determine my speed, that at the end of last year I finally bought a rechargeable GPS speedometer, which I can fix in my eyeline at the lower edge of the screen, and immediately check (in easily switchable MPH/KMH - which is useful for our extended Continental trips). - It works fine.

Anyway, it now transpires that, though VOSA avow the vehicle meets type-approval standards, FIAT admit there is an issue with the instrumentation, and they intend to issue a fix (on demand, and in a couple of months) which will be to illuminate the instruments with the ignition!

A bit of programming and Canbus magic, and all may be well (though given FIAT's reputation for electrics, I'm not going to be first in the queue!).

Anyone want to buy a GPS speedometer?

(I'm actually going to hold onto it).
 FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - Zero

>> Anyone want to buy a GPS speedometer?

No, I would have put a free speedo HUD app on my phone.
...did consider that, but considerably less convenient for my purposes in a good few ways...

Phone is much bigger, display needs to be permanently on so would probably need to be powered whilst in use ( I may be travelling for 8 hours at a time), and no phone I've had seems to have a quick refresh on GPS.

What I have is a small, self-contained unit with no other distractions that clips onto my dash nicely - no windscreen sucker, and no wires.

Suits me! Though being able to read the speedo would be better.

(I've also got an in-dash Satnav which will display speed, but out of eye-line, and small font).

FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - Runfer D'Hills
Just work out how many rpm in top gear equals 40 mph and stay at that, all the time, in any circumstances, like other caravanny people do. If you see a camera and it's a 30 limit just back off a bit...

;-)
 FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - Boxsterboy
Perhaps this explains why Ducatos (and their PSA cousins) always seem to be breaking the speed limit?
...Top gear!!....In a motorcaravan??

How would I create all those queues if I used top gear?

(BTW Rev Counter visibility is not too good either ;-) )
...and one just for you..

When I got it, it would show an outside temperature of -12C in the middle of the day, in June. (Whilst warning about potential ice on the road).

They fixed that by changing the door mirror!

You know about those, don't you. ;-)

(The outside temp sensor is in the mirror, and isn't available separately :-( )
It was pretty chilly here for a short while when she came home without the last one. I suppose I should be used to it.
...deaf and dumb breakfast....?
No not really, it's tough to stay angry when you have a teenager corpsing silently but uncontrollably while staying in your line of sight but not in hers.

Mind you, he'll be driving or learning to anyway next year so the table may well turn.
 FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - sooty123
>> No not really, it's tough to stay angry when you have a teenager corpsing silently

Never heard that word 'corpsing' before, some sort of theatrical word the internet says?
 FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - Focusless
>> Never heard that word 'corpsing' before, some sort of theatrical word the internet says?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRrEDraHqY
 FIAT Ducato Sevel X250 - Speed, What Speed? - sooty123
>> >> Never heard that word 'corpsing' before, some sort of theatrical word the internet says?
>>
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRrEDraHqY
>>

Looks like it was right, the title was enough. I'd rather watch paint dry than ricky gervais.
Latest Forum Posts