Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5   [Read only] Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 101

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 6 *****

==========================================================

On-going Emissions.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 10:30

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - PR
Does anyone believe that the new 2016 Euro VI diesels have no cheat device?

If they have been at this for many years, and not been caught out, why would they suddenly spend a fortune on engineering out the problem? I suspect in time it will emerge that the Euro VI cars are also affected. If it came out now I suspect it would threaten their very existence as they wouldn't be able to sell any new diesels.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Old Navy
>> Does anyone believe that the new 2016 Euro VI diesels have no cheat device?
>>

And that could be huge problem, many states of the USA require a safety certificate and emmisions test result to register a new or used car. Australia has a similar system.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 08:40

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - CGNorwich
>>

Yes I do.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Zero
VW would be very foolish indeed to keep on trying the same device, and anyway they have given in to the need to use adblue.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - PR
This all broke way after the Euro VI engines were finalized (that's if you believe a few rogue engineers were to blame). However, are the consumption of adblue figures correct? MAybe it will need filling every 2k miles instead of 18k miles? My point is why would they suddenly change a philosophy that so far had worked?

My point is
>> why would they suddenly change a philosophy that so far had worked?

Because technically, it had reached the limit of its abilities.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Slidingpillar
>>

Yes I do.

Oh dear, they've taken gullible out of the dictionary :o)

SP who still believes other manufacturers have installed 'cheat software' just that they've not (yet) been caught.

VW has stated unequivocally that EA288-engined cars (which conform to Euro 6 standards) are not affected.

To now find that these engines contain illegal "cheat"software would be the end for VW and indeed its senior management.

That is why I believe them. Certainly be cynical but do try to look a the situation realistically.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 09:55
 Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Manatee
The big difference is that the EA288 has a full set of clean up kit, including SCR, oil recovery, twin cooling circuits for optimum warm up, two EGR devices, as well as the DPF and the oxidation catalyst so it doesn't need to cheat.

That lot will however increase manufacturing costs and running costs.
 Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Bill Payer
>> The big difference is that the EA288 has a full set of clean up kit,
>> including SCR, oil recovery, twin cooling circuits for optimum warm up, two EGR devices, as
>> well as the DPF and the oxidation catalyst so it doesn't need to cheat.
>>
>> That lot will however increase manufacturing costs and running costs.
>>

We have EA288 in our Tiguan with Ad Blue. Didn't know about the twin cooling circuits but the car does warm up staggeringly quickly from cold - my Merc has a built in electric booster heater and blows warm air quickly (few hundred yeards) but I reckon its 20 miles before it's throroughly warmed up.

I have to say though that EA288 seems scarily complicated - whereas the Merc is 11yrs old, I really do not want to be running this VW when out of warranty!

Oh, and it's apparent that Ad Blue consumption is far greater than anyone was led to believe. That's the bit they've tweaked - in the US it was turned off in highway driving hence it would last between services.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 12:16

>> Oh, and it's apparent that Ad Blue consumption is far greater than anyone was led
>> to believe.
>>

No problem, it is sold in my local ASDA.

>> No problem, it is sold in my local ASDA.
>>

It's not a massive problem - it's sold in lots of places - but it's not particularly cheap and it's a faff to refill as VW have buried the filler under the spare wheel (yes, VW still supplies spare wheels) in the boot floor.

>> It's not a massive problem

What happens if it runs out, light in the instuments, limp mode, or shutdown?

>> What happens if it runs out, light in the instuments, limp mode, or shutdown?
>>

All those, in that order, as the level drops.

Another disadvantage of the higher use is those things happen closer together than even informed (some VW dealers are still telling buyers the cars don't have Ad Blue!) were led to believe.

Certainly be cynical but do try to look at the situation realistically.

I'm both! Just because I believe something does not stop me from having other thoughts that I'd be very unlikely to prove.

But then I was pretty comfortable with wearing two hats in my job at times. My employer knew of my other activities as well, so no secrets.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 10:49

Regardless of the whiter than white status of the 2016 cars, the unsellable 2015 cars in stock and almost worthless used VAG cars are going to hit a lot of companies and owners in the wallet. I suspect they will have long memories.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 11:14

Possibly but there has apparently been little drop in resale values so far in the UK. - Already discussed above.

I would happily buy another VW. The Golf is an excellent car - in my opinion the best family hatchback out there and fulfils all my motoring requirements.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Manatee
>> Regardless of the whiter than white status of the 2016 cars, the unsellable 2015 cars
>> in stock and almost worthless used VAG cars are going to hit a lot of
>> companies and owners in the wallet. I suspect they will have long memories.

The question is what else would they buy? Many have bought into a brand, many VW/Audi owners wouldn't be seen dead in a Ford or Vauxhall, let alone a Kia or Hyundai. They see VW as something superior and will just assume the others are worse in a different way.

When a VW breaks down, it's bad luck. When a Vauxhall breaks down, it's confirmation they are carp, despite the fact that they have similar reliability. This sort of thing comes out in research, not just anecdote. Yuman nature.
Don't know about reliability compared with other brands but the Golf is certainly a well put together car with a good quality of finish and it drives nicely. In fact in most reviews of cars of that class it comes out tops. It is truly difficult to fault

Never had a VW before, mainly, Fords. The last car I had was a Skoda which performed immaculately for 5 years with nothing other than servicing.

>> Don't know about reliability compared with other brands but the Golf is certainly a well
>> put together car with a good quality of finish and it drives nicely. In fact
>> in most reviews of cars of that class it comes out tops. It is truly
>> difficult to fault
>>
There is a quality about them which is difficult to put a fingercon. We got a Golf a few years ago (2011) which I still think was a bargain - Golf mk6 Twist for about £13K. Looked at Kia and Hyundai at the time and they just felt cheap (although they weren't compared to £13K) and nasty by comparison.

>> Never had a VW before, mainly, Fords. The last car I had was a Skoda
>> which performed immaculately for 5 years with nothing other than servicing.
>>
To be fair - the Golf was preceded by a SEAT and that wasn't good at all. One advantage of SEAT was at the time they came with 5yrs breakdown cover - and it needed it!

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - NortonES2
We had 3 Golfs. I liked them at the time as they seemed to have a certain solidity on the road, which other vehicles were lacking. Last was a GTI, of limited power really. However, the Toyota hybrids are tempting. Less need to visit dealer is a bonus, if the reliability is not a chimera. Don't think it is!
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 18:09

news.sky.com/story/1581190/vw-800000-cars-could-have-false-co2-levels

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Stuartli
Latest news is the confirmation from last month that petrol engines may also be affected:

tinyurl.com/ohf8hzm

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - R.P.
That'll be the death knell for the brand in the USA ?

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - No FM2R
Not quite, but its getting close and I doubt it'll take much more.

And I shouldn't think the brand would suddenly crash and burn, it'd simply gradually reduce its market share until it is no longer viable.

I remember saying early in this thread that C02 and taxation are linked in the UK and HMRC would be less than impressed if they have been ripped off.

And you thought it was so good you'd say it again?

>> And you thought it was so good you'd say it again?
>>

No, I was shouted down because it was all about NOx and I knew nothing. A bit like using Doppler as an aid to range assessment in another thread.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Nov 15 at 22:50

>> >> And you thought it was so good you'd say it again?
>> >>
>>
>> No, I was shouted down because it was all about NOx and I knew nothing.
>> A bit like using Doppler as an aid to range assessment in another thread.

Except you never said "using Doppler as an aid to range assessment" You insisted doppler measured range - full stop.
 Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - WillDeBeest
...because it was all about NOx and I knew nothing...

And you did, as this (from the Guardian, but other media sites say the same) shows.

The company said the “majority” of cars involved have a diesel engine, which implies that petrol cars are involved in the scandal for the first time.

Petrol engines don't need NOx control equipment, so if those are now implicated, there must be pokery as well as jiggery going on; you can't cheat a CO2 test by bypassing NOx equipment, let alone NOx equipment that isn't there. So unless you knew about the pokery as well as the jiggery when that came to light - which none of us did and you certainly didn't say at the time - then you were just guessing. Claiming credit now for a wrong inference from a different set of facts is cheeky, to put it nicely.
>> Claiming credit now for a wrong inference from a different set of facts is cheeky, to put it nicely.
>>

Or maybe I am an old cynic who believes where there is smoke and mirrors there is often more than is obvious to the naive.
Well, in this case at least, you plainly didn't understand the issue and now to claim some kind of retrospective insight because another, different incident and set of circumstances have occurred is a bit silly.

I say "a bit silly" because "f€%×ing stupid" is rude.

>> I say "a bit silly" because "f€%×ing stupid" is rude.
>>

Did someone rattle your cage? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 08:10

>> Not quite, but its getting close and I doubt it'll take much more.
>>
>> And I shouldn't think the brand would suddenly crash and burn, it'd simply gradually reduce
>> its market share until it is no longer viable.
>
Been plenty of home grown US automaker scandals in the past, none worse than Ford having to admit they compared the costs of consumers deaths against fixing an issue ( deaths were cheaper). Flipover Ford/Firestone SUVs etc. Ford survived. The USA has a lot invested in VW, as well as VW having a lot invested in the US.

This will pass.

True, but you said it yourself, home grown. Its a lot more hostile towards foreign firms.

>> True, but you said it yourself, home grown. Its a lot more hostile towards foreign
>> firms.
>>

Indeed. Back in 1972

www.amazon.com/Small-safety-designed-dangers-Volkswagen/dp/0670652490

>> True, but you said it yourself, home grown. Its a lot more hostile towards foreign
>> firms.

A foreign firm with a US auto plant producing 250,000 cars a year and employing thousands of workers.

This is all blown up in California, a notoriously auto maker unfriendly state, where all the auto makers shut down all their plants, just leaving Tesla there I think.

Which is why I suspect that it won't crash and burn, but it looks more and more likely to decline over time to the point where it is not a viable enterprise. And they've let that happen to US Manufacturers in the past, never mind German.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Armel Coussine
Witter witter witter. What a load of crap.

Wake me up in 100 years' time when VW has stopped being a 'viable brand' in the US, will you?

Until then, STFU.
 Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Lygonos
>>Wake me up in 100 years' time when VW has stopped being a 'viable brand' in the US, will you?

Once you tally up the fines from federal US, states, Europe and add in the cost to 'remedy' the problems it's not impossible.

I would presume every competitor brand is looking hungrily at lawsuits to gouge VW for 'sales they stole from us by lying, innit'

(unless of course they are also at it, and will keep schtumly sanctimonious about VW)

>>Wake me up in 100 years' time

I thought you were giving this place a break for a while to escape your frustration at your inability to find something again 5 minutes after you've written it?

You frequently admit that international business and finance is beyond you, why torture yourself with it?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 4 Nov 15 at 09:38
 Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - zippy
>> Witter witter witter. What a load of crap
>> Until then, STFU.
>>

Unbecoming of you AC!
 Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - Armel Coussine
>> Unbecoming of you

I know. Can't think why I'm so rude and bad-tempered at the moment.

Anyway, sorry... but it does seem to me that people are writing off VW's commercial future in the US in a lightweight and frivolous way.

Recall for 2.4m cars in Germany - legacylad
In the U.S. I saw TV adverts from lawyers asking owners to get in touch and file complaints...loss of resale value, missold goods etc. knowing the compensation culture I assume the take up is quite high.

One of the UK ambulance chasing legal firms have already advertised for folk willing to join in a class action; or similar. Can't remember who or exact wording as the SP little grey cells rapidly found something more interesting to do.

>> In the U.S. I saw TV adverts from lawyers asking owners to get in touch
>> and file complaints...loss of resale value, missold goods etc. knowing the compensation culture I assume
>> the take up is quite high.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Torts

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - J Bonington Jagworth
It seems to me that the whole testing regime (with hard tyres, no brake pads, taped-up seams, etc) is a complete scam anyway. I don't suppose there's a car on the UK road that meets its taxation band requirements (even the EV's, which have to get their electricity from somewhere), and VW are in the frame simply because they were caught cheating in a slightly more creative way.

They ALL cheat, because they can.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Lygonos
All of my Japanese cars pretty much managed their average MPG in my hands.

The only one that didn't was the Shogun - official average was 33mpg or so, I was getting about 26mpg - managed to nanny 29.9mpg on the computer once trundling 40 miles to St Andrews.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mitubishi turn out to have cheated on their big diseasels too.

A friend has a Shogun now and gets 22-23mpg although he does more urban miles that I do.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Armel Coussine
>> They ALL cheat, because they can.

Well yes, of course. It isn't even seen as cheating, just commercial hustling and scuffling.

Capitalism is theft. But it's still the best system for the largest number. Weird, huh?

>> Well yes, of course. It isn't even seen as cheating, just commercial hustling and scuffling.

To put it another way, there's every reason for the world's biggest car producer to have a strong presence in the world's biggest car market.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - No FM2R
>> To put it another way, there's every reason for the world's biggest car producer to
>> have a strong presence in the world's biggest car market.

True, but what have Toyota's activities in China got to do with this?

I swear I don't know why you torture yourself with this stuff AC, you consistently get it wrong, it annoys you to the point that you think everybody should STFU about such an annoying subject, and then you keep talking about it and keep getting it wrong.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 19:03

>> I swear I don't know why you torture yourself with this stuff AC, you consistently get it wrong,

Ah, the other world's biggest car maker and the other world's biggest car market...

Perhaps you are stupid after all FMR. I was wrong when I said you weren't.
 Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - WillDeBeest
It seems to me that the whole testing regime (with hard tyres, no brake pads, taped-up seams, etc) is a complete scam anyway.

You're missing the point again, JBJ. Nobody pretends that the test figures represent real use (although that doesn't allow for naive punters, of course.) But those 'cheats' you refer to are known to the testing authorities and open to any manufacturer, so we can at least see how one maker's cars compare against another's in lab conditions.

The dishonesty lies in undeclared changes, which was VAG's offence in the NOx test. If they prove to have done the same in the CO2 test, that will put them unfairly out of step with the other makers that have played the game legally, however close to the line they may play it.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 09:54

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - J Bonington Jagworth
Will

"Nobody pretends that the test figures represent real use"

I think the government does, as it bases its entirel (if stupid) tax regime on the CO2 emitted during the tests. I doubt that any car meets these limits when in actual use, so the whole thing is bogus, and defeats the original object!

You might argue that it's an approximation of the real situation, but if the tests are necessary, why not do them properly? They cost enough!

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - rtj70
>> if the tests are necessary, why not do them properly? They cost enough!

Too many variables. If the car actually gets driven on roads then you'd never get repeatable results. What we have today is flawed but mostly repeatable.

But I'm not defending the cheats that are known which I believe include disconnecting electrical items (e.g. battery?), taping up panel gaps etc. But worst of all is the time allowed to accelerate up to speed in the tests. Whereas a car might be capable of 0-62mph in 8 seconds they can take much longer to get to just 30mph!

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Old Navy
Why not pull a random car off the production line every 1000 or so and put it on a rolling road and take an average of ten tests? Obviously with safeguards that it has not been got at.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Bill Payer
>> Why not pull a random car off the production line every 1000 or so and
>> put it on a rolling road and take an average of ten tests? Obviously with
>> safeguards that it has not been got at.
>>

They do exactly that. But with VW's cheat software it would still pass.

>> They do exactly that. But with VW's cheat software it would still pass.
>>

I meant without any special preparation, a standard production showroom ready car. I realise that the cheat could be built in but it is down to the examining authority to suss that out.
 Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - madf
VW sales fall
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34723424

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Zero
>> VW sales fall

And other manufacturers have apparently also seen steep declines, even if they are not implicated in the emissions scandal.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - smokie
A different BBC article says "Sales of VW branded cars fell 9.8%, Skoda dropped 3% and Seat sales sank 32.2%. However, sales of Audi, Porsche and Bentley cars all rose"

It's all about the spin...

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - mikeyb
>> A different BBC article says "Sales of VW branded cars fell 9.8%, Skoda dropped 3%
>> and Seat sales sank 32.2%. However, sales of Audi, Porsche and Bentley cars all rose"
>>
>> It's all about the spin...
>>

I imagine though that for Audi, Porsche and Bentley the wait / ordering time is such that cars being registered in October were ordered well before the news broke. Skoda, Seat and to a degree VW are more off the shelf.

The real test will be the sales over the next 12 months

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Manatee

>> The real test will be the sales over the next 12 months

Correct. They tend to sell what they produce, what else would they do with them? But if they can't get them away without price support, eventually they may cut production.

The numbers will be lumpy anyway from month to month especially when some are being withheld for modification before sale.

There are massive compounds where unsold vehicles sit for months and months. Probably not your Audis etc. Good point re being withheld for mods though.

>> There are massive compounds where unsold vehicles sit for months and months.

With a fairly average factory making 1000 cars a day they don't half take up a lot of space quickly! You sometimes see shots of airfields full of cars but if you do a rough estimate there's not that many vehicles there in the great scheme of things.

>> There are massive compounds where unsold vehicles sit for months and months. Probably not your
>> Audis etc. Good point re being withheld for mods though.
>>

IIRC that's how Rovers troubles became public - weren't they ordering shed loads of camouflage netting to hide the car filled fields?

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - sooty123
>> IIRC that's how Rovers troubles became public - weren't they ordering shed loads of camouflage
>> netting to hide the car filled fields?
>>

I think there were a few other pointers apart from that.

>> There are massive compounds where unsold vehicles sit for months and months. Probably not your
>> Audis etc. Good point re being withheld for mods though.
>>

I know someone where they are a few hundred Mercs all in storage loads of C classes. A few other brands, Skodas and Kias mainly.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - PeterS
>>
>> I know someone where they are a few hundred Mercs all in storage loads of
>> C classes. A few other brands, Skodas and Kias mainly.
>>

Given that MB sell around 125,000 cars a year in the Uk I'd be surprised if there weren't thousands of the things sitting somewhere... A few hundred is less than a days supply!!

If there numbers are anything like BMW UK then I imagine at least 10% are self registered as management/employee car scheme cars before being released as nearly new into the dealer network as used cars. Given that the release to market will be, where possible, managed so as not to damage residuals there could be thousands of these cars sitting somewhere too. You can't see BMW site at Thorne very clearly from the M62 anymore, but go back 5 to 10 years and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't tens of thousands of cars visible on site a certain times, and I don't suppose it's changed...

SQ 4 TLB
>> Given that MB sell around 125,000 cars a year in the Uk I'd be surprised
>> if there weren't thousands of the things sitting somewhere... A few hundred is less than
>> a days supply!!

I never suggested it wasn't, just somewhere I've seen a large (to me) supply of them.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 01:26

Here's a couple I'm aware of

tinyurl.com/pd7hd68

tinyurl.com/qap97by

or at least that's what I've assumed they are.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 23:25

"The VW Group has halted sales of Porsche, Audi and VW cars in the US fitted with the 3.0 litre diesel engine after the EPA claimed they contained a defeat device."

Read more: www.carsuk.net/car-news/#ixzz3qbsZAUGo

And deeper into the mire they go...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 10:03

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - rtj70
When I got by Audi 1.4T last October, the official omissions were 109g/km for CO2. It was the same for models with 19", 18" and 17" wheels. Since around August 2015, if you order an Audi 1.4T it has different emissions for the different wheel sizes. So the BIK bracket for mine would be 1% higher if ordering today.

This suggests not all model variants were actually tested and an assumption made that bigger wheels did not have an impact.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - R.P.
Did anyone mention Audi falsifying safety tests !?! ......

>> Did anyone mention Audi falsifying safety tests !?! ......
>>
>>
>>

There was no attempt to mislead customers by claiming they had passed tests which they had not..

Like installing cheating software was not an attempt to cheat..

I suspect VAG Group has decided normal rules only apply to "little people", a la Leona Hemsley
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes"

I read the following ehadlines on aniotehr websitre

Several company engineers have admitted manipulating carbon dioxide emissions data, stating the ambitious goals set by former Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn were too difficult to achieve. (Links to www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/08/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0SX0CM20151108#taXFOtuOzJzVc58y.97)

Nordea has confirmed it will sue Volkswagen over the emissions scandal, becoming the first asset manager to do so.

VW is also expected to offer cash this week to the owners of diesel cars in the U.S. as it steps up recovery efforts under a "TDI Goodwill Program." www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/business/international/volkswagen-may-offer-cash-to-ease-owners-ire.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

Well it appears that VW Passat prices have dropped. I can get a very nice Diesel Passat, under three years old for under 10 grand.

What were they before all this?

well I haven't kept a spreadsheet, but gut feel says about 20% dearer.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Runfer D'Hills
Indeed, however, you could also buy a Marks and Spencer's anorak fairly inexpensively.

Neither course of action is one it might be reasonable to wish to be particularly remembered for though is it?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 8 Nov 15 at 19:36

>> Indeed, however, you could also buy a Marks and Spencer's anorak fairly inexpensively.
>>
>> Neither course of action is one it might be reasonable to wish to be particularly
>> remembered for though is it?

You missed the point. An anorak from M&S is expensive. Despite being a:an anorak, and b: from M&S

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Runfer D'Hills
Mercifully, I wouldn't know.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Kevin
>Well it appears that VW Passat prices have dropped.

>>Indeed, however, you could also buy a Marks and Spencer's anorak fairly inexpensively.

Driver that met me at Franfurt airport a couple of weeks ago was using a VW Phaeton which I have always seen as a big Passat. First time I've been in one and I was very impressed. Full off-white leather and individual rear seats with just about every toy imagineable. No idea what was under the bonnet but it was seriously quick too.

Never considered one before but it's on the list of possibles when the time comes to replace the Jag.

Any reports on any "upgraded" VWs, performance wise, yet ? (if there have been any done)

>> Any reports on any "upgraded" VWs, performance wise, yet ? (if there have been any
>> done)

I thin the time to buy one is before they get chopped at the vet.

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11899049/What-happens-if-my-VW-car-has-emissions-cheating-software.html

Quite a good write up.

>> Any reports on any "upgraded" VWs, performance wise, yet ? (if there have been any
>> done)
>>

AFAIK they're not going to start "fixing" them until next year - I don't think they've confirmed what they're going to do yet.

Apparently in the US they may have to retro-fit Ad Blue to a lot of cars, but that's not thought to be necessary in Europe.

>> just about every toy imagineable. No idea what was under the bonnet but it was
>> seriously quick too.

Half a Veyron engine I understand.

www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen/phaeton/used-volkswagen-phaeton-3-0-tdi-v6-4motion-4dr-diss-fpa-201511078506525?logcode=p

One of these or some crap Focus ?

>> Driver that met me at Franfurt airport a couple of weeks ago

How is your asylum application going Kev?

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - Kevin
>How is your asylum application going Kev?

Asyrum apprication going rubbery Zelo.

Spend much time in Gelmany lecently. Flankfurt, Stuttgalt and now they give me many Eulo' to go to Munching next week.

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - PR
The scale of the issue in Germany alone...

FRANKFURT (Bloomberg) -- Volkswagen Group will need to perform significant engine repairs on 540,000 cars in Germany, highlighting the complicated task the company faces after disclosing further emissions irregularities last week.

The recall is still planned to start by early next year, Germany's Federal Motor Transport Authority saidon Monday.

Fitch Ratings downgraded the carmaker’s credit rating, saying the cut reflects "corporate governance, management and internal control issues." Volkswagen’s credit rating was reduced to BBB+, the third-lowest investment grade, from A, the debt-rating company said.

Volkswagen’s supervisory board convened Monday to discuss cutbacks and the emissions investigation, which gained new urgency last week after internal whistleblowers uncovered irregularities broader than the carmaker had originally disclosed.

Employees disclosed inconsistent carbon dioxide ratings for about 800,000 cars during an internal investigation, the carmaker said Sunday. Volkswagen made them public shortly thereafter, on Nov. 3. "How this happened is subject to internal investigations," the company said in a statement, which are "ongoing."

The admission that cheating may have been broader than the 11 million diesel vehicles previously disclosed has plunged Volkswagen deeper into the worst crisis in its history.

The scandal escalated from software used to cheat on emissions tests to discrepancies on carbon-dioxide output, including in some non-diesel cars. Volkswagen has said the latest findings will add about 2 billion euros ($2.15 billion) in financial risk to the 6.7 billion euros it already set aside to cover the first hit from the probe.

An engineer at the company told management last month that CO2 emissions values had been manipulated since 2013 to fulfill targets that were unattainable by legal means, the Bild am Sonntag newspaper reported Sunday. Technicians failed to report the practice earlier for fear of retribution, the newspaper said. Volkswagen declined to comment on details of the report.

VW CEO Matthias Mueller, who was appointed in the wake of the scandal, is seeking to change VW’s corporate culture and encourage more openness in an effort to repair the company’s battered reputation. The falsified reports began shortly after former CEO Martin Winterkorn ordered a 30 percent reduction in the CO2 output of new vehicles by 2015, Bild am Sonntag said. The whistle-blower is still employed, the newspaper said.

Mueller, who has yet to visit regulators in the U.S. where the initial diesel-emissions cheating was uncovered, is under pressure to show that VW is turning a new leaf. The company’s supervisory board, which will meet Monday, has said after the latest irregularities that it will soon discuss "further measures and consequences."

The board was also discussing cutbacks needed to stem the financial fallout of the cleanup. Also on the table was an update on the now many-pronged investigation.

Freebies for our VW owning American cousins.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34763777

2016 cars now involved..

"Volkswagen faces a further widening of the emissions-rigging scandal after admitting hundreds of thousands of new cars from its 2016 range could contain illegal software to help them cheat pollution tests.
Some 430,000 of these vehicles have “implausible” CO2 ratings, VW revealed today."

tinyurl.com/ocbqwnp

Not surprising to people who know a little about how cars work.

mobile.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSKCN0T82Q320151119

3 litre diesel now definitely affected..

tinyurl.com/o6wtgb3

The management MUST have used it as policy.

And Bosch who make the injection systems are almost certainly in the frame as willing participants..

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - CGNorwich
Got a letter form VW yesterday offering owners £1,000 discount on a new Golf in addition to anything dealers are allowing.

Vauxhall offering 2000 for any Vauxhall with an MoT plus any discount....!

Volkswagen Recall - Volume 5 - WillDeBeest
...and we got a card about the Vauxhall 'Load of Scrap' promotion. Don't suppose either has any great significance - except that the Vauxhall people know where I live.

No refunds in the UK - smokie
www.autonews.com/article/20151121/COPY01/311219990/vw-refuses-compensation-for-european-owners-of-rigged-diesels

"Volkswagen Group will not offer compensation to European customers who bought a diesel car with "cheat" software, taking a different tack from in the U.S. where the automaker will provide a goodwill package worth $1,000 to affected owners.

"In Europe, the automaker will tailor a package of measures to ensure that owners of cars are inconvenienced as little as possible when their vehicles are recalled for fixes to make them compliant with type approval regulations, a VW spokesman said."

No refunds in the UK - Manatee
>> www.autonews.com/article/20151121/COPY01/311219990/vw-refuses-compensation-for-european-owners-of-rigged-diesels
>>
>> "Volkswagen Group will not offer compensation to European customers who bought a diesel car with
>> "cheat" software, taking a different tack from in the U.S. ...

How very cynical. I hope the American customers still sue them anyway.

Apparently I am going to be given a "choice of upgrades" by TalkTalk. Can't wait. I already have phone calls included and unlimited internet, which is too slow for the TV services.

Latest Forum Posts