Motoring Discussion > 1951 Hoffman......great car ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 8

1951 Hoffman......great car ! - Ted

Not !

Anyone got one of these babies ? Strangely enough, I wouldn't mind owning one.......I like bizarre looking stuff ( you should see the wife ! ) but I'd rather look at it than drive it !

www.bestofvids.org/static/this-is-what-it-s-like-to-drive-the-worst-car-in-the-world.html
 1951 Hoffman......great car ! - WillDeBeest
Looks a little like that ridiculous Pontiac thing in Breaking Bad - although at least that has four wheels.

Presumably it reflects the necessities and shortages of the post-war era, rather than anyone's idea of the best way to design a car.
 1951 Hoffman......great car ! - Armel Coussine
>> Presumably it reflects the necessities and shortages of the post-war era, rather than anyone's idea of the best way to design a car.

Yes and no. Silly little engine, but beautiful alloy bodywork. Mr Hoffman had to be barking mad.
Looks to me like great fun to drive. Yes, it's horrible, but a lot of the cars I've driven were fairly horrible.

The American test driver was exaggerating. He couldn't even work the leather-strap located drop windows, old railway style. I love the plywood internal trim.
 1951 Hoffman......great car ! - Dog
It looks like a bed bug, and I feel like I'd like to squash it BIG time!
 1951 Hoffman......great car ! - Slidingpillar
Obviously he's not seen the Heinkel Trojan cabin cruiser then. And it was made later, 55 to 64 and rather more numerous.
The Heinkel wasn't too bad, it had handlebars but steered OK. There was a four-wheeled model that could do 90!

A bit more like the Hoffman were two different but similar cars with popping little mo-ped engines and their only door on the front. Both had steering wheels and very small road wheels. I drove one briefly and alarmingly... a Messerscmitt perhaps. Long time ago.

They were a postwar equivalent of the 'cyclecars' of the 1920s and 30s. Those were awful too, except for the GN, close ancestor of the excellent chain drive Frazer Nash.
 1951 Hoffman......great car ! - Slidingpillar
They were a postwar equivalent of the 'cyclecars' of the 1920s and 30s. Those were awful too, except for the GN, close ancestor of the excellent chain drive Frazer Nash.

Cyclecars really started at the dawn of motoring, although perhaps the 20s were the heyday. But a lot of the three wheelers were cyclecars really, my Morgan is. Although the rules changed later that year, you could have driven it at 14 without passing any kind of driving test. Although roads were much quieter, still frightening really.

Chain drive Nashes are super things. Rather pricey now, but at least I've had a ride in one. Very interesting driving technique needed as without a differential, they understeer until you make them oversteer. Neutral they don't do.
>> Chain drive Nashes are super things. Rather pricey now, but at least I've had a ride in one

I have too, in David Thirby's tourer example. Great fun, but required very positive driver inputs it seemed.
Latest Forum Posts