Motoring Discussion > Driving in Sunglasses - Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 9

Driving in Sunglasses - - sherlock47
The other thread reminded me that I needed to get some other peoples opinions.

At my last glasses review the optician suggested that as I spend the summers in sunnier places, that sun glasses ( and /or coated lenses) were a good idea to cut down on the cataract risk from UV exposure. She suggested that polarising lenses were a good compromise. I have never been a wearer of sunglasses in the past, but took to wearing them quite happily in daylight - although I would advise not driving in unlit tunnels.

The major problem is that the polarising filter cuts out the back lit display on the central console ( Berligo 2014). The only way to read it is to tilt the head by 30 degrees. Not a show stopper, but surprising that the optician, (who was good), did not make me aware. I have since found a friend with a top end BMW who cannot use his HUD for the same reason.

Anybody here had a similar problem.
 Driving in Sunglasses - - CGNorwich
Same on most cars I think.

Also applies to Sat Navs. Problem is I think that the glass screens are polarised to avoid glare. Unfortunately the lenses of your sunglasses are polarised in the opposite direction which effectively cuts out all light from that source.

If you take two polArised lenses and rotate one At 180 degrees you will not be able to see through them for the same reason.

Having said that polarised sunglasses ar much the best for cutting out glare when driving . Not being able to see which radio station is playing is something I can live with.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 13 Oct 15 at 18:15
 Driving in Sunglasses - - Zero
Funnily enough, my trusty old TomTom does not have a polarised display, nor does my phone so both viewable, and having really ancient old analogue instruments means they are all visible as well.

I only lose the radio display.
 Driving in Sunglasses - - R.P.
Wear the sunglasses upside down ?
>> Wear the sunglasses upside down ?
>>

Not going to help

You need to rotate your head and therefore your sunglasses by 90 degrees.
 Driving in Sunglasses - - Manatee
From the UV point of view, do you need the polarised ones in the car? I have never found reflections to be a problem, just the glare from all that sky even on dull days.

I have found Ray Ban 15% grey (G-15) lenses perfect for driving. Colour neutral and no headache.

I couldn't quite get the same neutral tint in prescription unfortunately, but it's pretty close. As my distance vision is near perfect anyway I still use plain sunglasses much of the time.
 Driving in Sunglasses - - Zero
>> From the UV point of view, do you need the polarised ones in the car?

Yes, it cuts down the reflected glare from other car windscreens and such.
 Driving in Sunglasses - - WillDeBeest
...If you take two polarised lenses and rotate one at 180 degrees you will not be able to see through them.

90 degrees will do. Imagine them as tiny venetian blinds; only the rays oscillating in a plane parallel to the slots will pass through.
Yes I meant 90 degrees.

Some screens on satnavs a and phones are polarised at 45 degrees presumably to allow rotation from landscape to portrait mode
 Driving in Sunglasses - - WillDeBeest
...polarised sunglasses are much the best for cutting out glare when driving . Not being able to see which radio station is playing is something I can live with.

Absolutely. They're best of all in conditions like today's, where the road surface is wet from rain but the sun is out and reflecting off it into my eyes. Polarizing (the light is polarized) lenses cut out all that glare off the surface. There are days when driving without them would be close to impossible.

The strangest effect they have is to turn a bright blue sky (filled with scattered, polarized blue light) into a menacing grey one. But I'm not looking at the sky when I'm driving.
Latest Forum Posts