Motoring Discussion > Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 23

Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-34373237
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - legacylad
I've never seen 4 people on a quad bike before. Normally where I live it's a farmer and two Sheepdogs at most.
In Saltaire ( near Shipley, Bradford) a few weeks ago I saw 4 blokes doing wheelies down a main road. Driving the wrong way round traffic islands whilst overtaking other traffic. Seen plenty around in Keighley as well. Never been near a field.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - MD
To a man (sorry irresponsible boy) the youngsters around here that ride them are idiots waiting to die. They ride the lanes at warp speed as if there's no possibility of something coming the other way. They are usually involved in the Fox hunting fraternity.

Warning. The same or similar fools on Exmoor and it's fringes that are involved in Stag hunting are far far more foolish.............Oh! and ignorant too. The expiration of such morons would not be much of a loss.

Four on a bike though...........jeeeeez..
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - R.P.
Accident happened at 0030 hours....To the riders probably seemed like a good idea at the time
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Ted

Looking at the news on the telly, I got the impression from the filming at the location, that this was a little used moorland road........perhaps not used by the public. These are places where youths congregate to show off and do silly things with sporty cars and bikes.

There used to be a place over this side of the Pennines where it happened. The road led to a radio mast. Now closed off for vehicles by locked gates.

Even in our urban road with it's speed bumps and 20mph limit, there is one idiot who guns a quad bike up and down occasionally. No feds to catch him though !

Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Armel Coussine
The quad bike wasn't really to blame though. Overloaded and perhaps poorly lighted.

The sports car that ran into it at high speed seems much more the responsible party. Two young men are being sought on 'suspicion of dangerous driving'. I should jolly well think so.

Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Old Navy
I assume (thats dangerous) that the two in the sports car are being held on suspicion of dangerous driving as an administrative holding measure. One must have been a passenger at the time of the collision, unless they are both claiming passenger status.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - bathtub tom
Quad bike with two up wrapped itself round a tree (and I mean round) opposite me recently.

Passenger got off very lightly and limped away, but the rider got carted off in the air ambulance. Last I heard he lost a leg.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Mapmaker
The four were on an unlicensed quad bike. Overloaded, unlicensed. Terribly terribly sad, but... these things are not toys, and public highways are not a kindergarten. It remains to be seen whether the two young men in the sports car were up to no good. That they are *both* being held suggests there may be more to this than meets the eye.

'Farmer Ben Kidson, who lives near the site of the crash, said he had heard loud cars late on Saturday evening.

'"From about 11, for a good hour, I could hear cars some racing up and down the road.
You do hear it now and again at weekends but it seemed to be a lot louder last night."'
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Boxsterboy
Darwin's theory of evolution in practice again, I am afraid.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - madf
>> Darwin's theory of evolution in practice again, I am afraid.
>>

Quite..

(And reports from a neighbouring house suggests late night racing was common on that road..)
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - R.P.
Read somewhere today that the quad and the car were travelling in the same direction. Joining the dots is interesting
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Bromptonaut
Youngsters on foolish jape hit from behind by other youngsters on foolish jape?
>> Youngsters on foolish jape hit from behind by other youngsters on foolish jape?

A bit like that. Overloaded bumbling quad bike and eager beaver young men in a rapid motor.

Young men though without the sense to drive, if not within full stopping distance, at least within decent evasive-action distance of the hazard, whatever it may be. Or at an appropriate speed of course.

I always notice when I am going too fast. Not everyone has a proper understanding of speed. It comes naturally to me, and makes me wimpish.
>> and makes me wimpish.
>>

But alive and not jailed as a killer, speed is OK, it's where and when that counts.
We nearly always understand each other ON.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Westpig
>> But alive and not jailed as a killer, speed is OK, it's where and when
>> that counts.
>>

Yeah...Scotland mostly for me...;-)
>> Yeah...Scotland mostly for me...;-)
>>

Living up here has many advantages. ;-)
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Zero
>> >> Yeah...Scotland mostly for me...;-)
>> >>
>>
>> Living up here has many advantages. ;-)

Indeed, we are very grateful you do.
I can't stop thinking about that awful accident. Jolly night out with friends to nightmare in the blink of an eye, wailing and gnashing of teeth, all those poor devastated parents, the whole thing is a terrible tragedy.

The thing that makes it so terrible is the contrast with our rich, smug, well-organized lifestyles. In large areas of the world, less fortunate than our protected corner, something like that would seem a mere blip. It's very rough out there, don't doubt it. Most of us haven't a clue how lucky we are.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - madf
What parent in their right minds lets teenagers ride a quad bike after 10pm - when it has no licence.?
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - Westpig
>> What parent in their right minds lets teenagers ride a quad bike after 10pm -
>> when it has no licence.?
>>
Do they know what they're up to?

"Mum, can I stay at xxxx's, please", whilst x says "Mum, can I stay at yyyy's, please".

You have to start giving them some leeway at some point.
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - bathtub tom
>> Do they know what they're up to?
>> "Mum, can I stay at xxxx's, please", whilst x says "Mum, can I stay at
>> yyyy's, please".
>> You have to start giving them some leeway at some point.

Daughter's friends used to stay here Friday/Saturday nights when they were in the sixth form.

Demure young ladies would be dropped off by doting parents. Wonderbra'd harlots, with their skirts barely below 'c' level would disappear into the evening. Our Forsythia bush was nicknamed the diced carrot tree as daughter wouldn't let any back into the house unless they were reasonably sober, or unlikely to puke.

The sights I saw................................................................
 Four on a quad bike killed. A6201 West Yorkshire. - legacylad
We all know people who have suffered tragedy, cut down at an early age either through sudden illness or circumstance. Life isn't fair. Never will be. I have lost friends in their 20s & 40s to cancer & similar, so am trying to hang in there for a while longer.
However, you can limit, or even completely avoid, your exposure to certain things in life and that lessens the odds of something untoward happening.
Latest Forum Posts