Motoring Discussion > VED on s/h car Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 17

VED on s/h car - J Bonington Jagworth
When buying privately, is there a way of timing the transfer 'moment' to optimise the VED situation, so the seller gets her refund for September, but my tenure starts in October..?

(I added this to my 'cover note' thread, but that had been dealt with, so am posting separately.)
 VED on s/h car - ....
The owner could SORN it on Wednesday (assuming the car is not on the public highway) online and provided it's MOTd and insured on the relevant databases you could tax it on Thursday.
 VED on s/h car - Tigger
>> The owner could SORN it on Wednesday (assuming the car is not on the public
>> highway) online and provided it's MOTd and insured on the relevant databases you could tax
>> it on Thursday.
>>
Insurance isn't checked when you buy VED. MOT is enough.

(You do need to be insured of course, but don't have to wait for it to trickle through to MID)
Last edited by: Tigger on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 08:38
 VED on s/h car - Boxsterboy

>> Insurance isn't checked when you buy VED.
>>

Yes it is.
 VED on s/h car - Cliff Pope
>>
>> >> Insurance isn't checked when you buy VED.
>> >>
>>
>> Yes it is.
>>

You can arrange insurance over the phone and then immediately tax the car by phone, online, or at a post office.

Does the insurance database really update instantly?
 VED on s/h car - Harleyman
snipquote. Lot of lazy people on here just lately!

>> Does the insurance database really update instantly?
>>

It's considered advisable to give it at least 24 hours, and I wouldn't bet on it being updated till Monday morning if you were to buy over a weekend.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 18:55

>>
>> It's considered advisable to give it at least 24 hours, and I wouldn't bet on
>> it being updated till Monday morning if you were to buy over a weekend.
>>

But the VED is valid immediately - that's the point of the phone instant taxing service.
So it can't have checked or be dependent on the insurance?
 VED on s/h car - henry k
>> But the VED is valid immediately - that's the point of the phone instant taxing service.
>> So it can't have checked or be dependent on the insurance?
>>
The V11 VED reminder form says for my car:-
This Vehicle needs an appropriate MoT test certificate.

At the bottom of the form:-
By law, all drivers must be covered by motor insurance when they use a motor vehicle on the road or in any other public place.

it also says you have a 14 day grace period to SORN or tax it but the vehicle must be kept off the road during this period.

>>
>> At the bottom of the form:-
>> By law, all drivers must be covered by motor insurance when they use a motor
>> vehicle on the road or in any other public place.

I know that, but the question raised was whether the system made an insurance check before registering the VED. It appears that it does not, in exactly the same way as it does not do an MOT check.
 VED on s/h car - henry k
>> I know that, but the question raised was whether the system made an insurance check
>> before registering the VED. It appears that it does not, in exactly the same way
>> as it does not do an MOT check.
>>
Others may not know that :-(

tinyurl.com/pp5xxzw
 VED on s/h car - Tigger
>>
>> >> Insurance isn't checked when you buy VED.
>> >>
>>
>> Yes it is.
>>
No, it's not!

Lot's of sources. Here's the first one that came up on google: www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2520649/Need-insurance-certificate-buy-car-tax-axed.html
She can't keep it off the road, unfortunately, so I shall probably have to grasp the nettle and pay for this month's VED. :-(
Last edited by: J Bonington Jagworth on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 12:07
If my sums are correct, DVLA gets an extra month's tax every time a car changes hands, e.g. my vendor gets her tax refunded from 1st October, but I have to pay from 1st September, a month she will already have paid for. If the sale date were 1st October, then I could pay from then, but she would only get a refund from 1st November. No wonder they make it difficult!
 VED on s/h car - Old Navy
>> If my sums are correct, DVLA gets an extra month's tax every time a car
>> changes hands,

It's a tax, the chances of Joe public breaking even are remote. :-)
 VED on s/h car - sherlock47
In the confusion of " yes it is - No it isn't" posts have I missed something?

If its SORNed by original owner at 23.59 say on the last day of the month, and ownership transfers at 00.00 on the 1st day of the following month, with VED payable either at that time (or does the 14 day period of grace apply?).
I understand that the SORN ceases on change of ownership, so no liabilty on the 1st owner.
DVLA will see the vehicle as continuously taxed.

If the MID is checked at tax time - the second owner could always take out cover prior to change over anyway. Does MID check for dual cover?

Surely this will not result in any double month payments to the DVLA?
 VED on s/h car - sooty123
I don't think you can sorn cars by time. It's just by date isn't it. I don't think the 23.59 hand is relevant?
Thanks, Sherlock. Unfortunately, the vendor wants the car collected today, and she doesn't have off-road parking, so I'm out of wriggle room. Also, if I said, 'could you SORN it on Wednesday so I can tax it from the next day', it sounds a bit Arthur Daleyish!

For the odd £11, the game's not really worth the candle, but I appreciate the input.
You're quite right, ON. Death and taxes and all that.. :-(
Latest Forum Posts