Motoring Discussion > Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 19

Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Falkirk Bairn
Popped into the showroom having dropped in for petrol next door.

Car had been trailered on web by Subaru for months.

I am in the market for another car a SWMBO has back issues & the current car is high.
My Spec is Petrol/auto/4wd + toys and easy access

Looks good in the flesh, well kitted out and everything seems to be screwed on well. Some had plastics, it is a Subaru so it is expected. It does not make my shortlist as it is incredibly low and fails my easy access crtieria.

Local dealer had upped the spec by fitting body kit, front side & back + 19" wheels. Shame raelly as I would have thought most buyers would want to try the standard car. Sticker price was £30K rather than the list £27,500.

Hey ho - Scooby dealer are harking back to their Impreza OTT specifications
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Dog
I was thinking only this morning as I drove my 8 year old Scooby, how much I still enjoy driving it after owning it for 2.5 years.

I like the sound and power output from the petrol engine. I like the 4 speed slushbox. I like the road holding and the way it handles in general. I find it a very comfortable place to be. In fact I like it so much I'd be prepared to spend £1000's on it if anything BIG needed fixing/replacing and, the only items (apart from service parts) that have required replacing in the 2.5 years, have been two sidelight bulbs.
Levorg reviews are mostly positive - apart from the CVT gearbox comments - a nice 5/6/7 speed auto might have transformed the overall quality of the car reviews.
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - ....
8 & 9 is where it's at these days.
BMW and Volvo have an 8 speed as standard now, FIAT and JEEP are going at 9s.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 19 Sep 15 at 22:27
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - legacylad
Petrol/auto/4WD

BMW x drive available in many combinations....
>> Petrol/auto/4WD
>>
>> BMW x drive available in many combinations....
>>
I know that but the BMW garages around here are 98% Diesel demos, with the the odd petrol 116 as the sole petrol car on show.

I had thought of a 320/325i 3 Series estate but they are rarely seen - odd order for a private buyer and 320d is the standard car.

One of my boys warned me off the 4 series - too low, he has a 430i, but Texas is a bit far even for a turn round the block.
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - WillDeBeest
The 4 is gorgeous, and the headroom is better than in my last-generation 3 coupé. Doesn't quite fit Avant's Grand-Old-Duke-of-York criteria, but the Verso did and that was no fun at all.
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Avant
" It does not make my shortlist as it is incredibly low and fails my easy access criteria."

Slightly surprising as it's 4wd. But all other Subarus (XV, Outback and Forester) are higher off the ground but not too much so. The ideal, as one gets older, is not having to climb either up or down as you get in and out of a car.

And the distance between door sill and seat can also be an issue: SWMBO with an arthritic knee didn't much like the Skoda Yeti that we once had as a courtesy car, for that reason.

It does seem that at last Subaru's importers are making a bit more of an effort to market their cars.
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 19 Sep 15 at 23:42
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Armel Coussine
>> " It does not make my shortlist as it is incredibly low and fails my easy access criteria."

Thank goodness I can get in and out of any motor vehicle, I think. Some very low cars - Caterham or similar - might involve a bit of panting and struggle, but worth it surely?

In any case a flat-four Subaru Jeep thingie isn't 'low' at all is it? I'd say a bit high actually. But not so high as to cause a problem. True, there are other svelte little models, I know. But they are rare.

That 2 litre flat four Subaru engine is an absolute jewel of a unit, smooth as silk and with oomph once it starts to spin. Wish I could afford a couple.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 20 Sep 15 at 00:27
When I was 'in trade' I had a step stool to help my Mum get into the VW Transporter. Years ago, when I had a rear engined TD Transporter she preferred to access through the side door and sit at the back on the engine. She said it kept her bum warm. I used the same step stool for her when I had the Defender. Despite being almost 90, with a manky hip and shoulder, she can still get into the front of my 3 series soft top ok. Same goes for the back seat ( just). It's getting out of the back seat which is the problem. It takes forever, and on a bad day the roof has to come down. Such is old age.
I've had a few low slung cars in my time, starting with a Spitfire in my youth. It would be interesting to see if I still found access and egress easy!
>>Slightly surprising as it's 4wd. But all other Subarus (XV, Outback and Forester) are higher off >>the ground but not too much so.

The Levorg is not based on the old Impreza/Legacy/Outback " high floorplan".

It is based on the WRX Sti Platform - hence it is a low seated car and you have to lower yourself in and pull yourself out - at my age at least.

I had a Mazda Xedos 6 for almost 15 years, and it was low, but I think the Levorg is even a few inches lower than that!

Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Mr Moo
Weird name. Sounds like something out of Dr Who. It's also an anagram of grovel. Is that what Subaru salesmen are going to have to do to persuade the punters to buy one after they've experienced the auto 'box...?
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Dog
The name Levorg is a combination of three words, LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG.
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 20 Sep 15 at 12:06
Well, obviously.

Could anyone but a Subaru fan possibly repeat that with a straight face? (Where's Gromit when we need him?)
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Gromit
"Where's Gromit when we need him?"

Here...moping at the news that the Levorrrrrg (for some reason I hear it said in Klingon!) isn't to be imported into Ireland.

Time was, a 1.6 turbocharged petrol would have been just the ticket to duck under the car tax rules. Fun on the run down to the ferry, and room for the dog. What's not to like?

Seems it puts out "too many CO2s", as Clarkson might have said, so I have a choice of diesel, diesel or diesel for my next Scooby Doo. Anyway, Mrs Gromit has decided her FRV is to be replaced by a diesel automatic Foz when eventually the old Honda gives up the ghost.
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - Avant
"The 4 is gorgeous, and the headroom is better than in my last-generation 3 coupé. Doesn't quite fit Avant's Grand-Old-Duke-of-York criteria, but the Verso did and that was no fun at all."

If we assume that the G-O-D-of-Y still enjoys driving, what is people's view of the best contenders in the higher-than-typical saloon/estate but lower-than-Discovery - but also good to drive - category?
Porsche Panamera. A proper Grand Tourer. Marmite looks but if I had enough brass it would be a contender.
Panamera doesn't look especially tall to me. Not pretty either, mind, but less painful to look at than the Cayenne - or indeed most full-fat SUVs.

BMW 330d GT would be my first call for a GODOY who's not entirely lost the will. I've not tried one to drive, but the interior is impressive for its space and its design. It must lose a little in wieldiness to my 3 coupé - but that can't seat four of me. I've mentioned before that it's on my list if we need/can afford a successor to the LEC.
 Subaru - - Levorg - seen in the flesh - No FM2R
>>but less painful to look at than the Cayenne

Had one for a while, loved it. Really loved it. Perhaps not the prettiest, but not *that* ugly.
One of my boys had a Panamera for 2 years 3 ltr V6 diesel - loved it and swears there will be another when(if??) he comes back to the UK.

His wife drove it, when the car was brand new, 100 yards and stopped - intense dislike.
X5 /X6 managed Ok but a definite thumbs down for the Porsche.
Latest Forum Posts