Motoring Discussion > Shell garages taking Paypal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 16

Shell garages taking Paypal - R.P.
One of my regularly used Shell forecourts now give you the option of downloading an app and then using it to pay for fuel via Paypal. Considering it when fuelling the bikes - saves messing around removing helmets.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - WillDeBeest
What's the benefit in exchange for opening another door to your finances? Don't Shell pumps offer a pay-at-pump option with a credit card?

Incidentally, what happened to the old iron policy of no mobiles on forecourts? I haven't seen a notice for a while, but is this a confirmation from the operators that it was never necessary?
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Mike Hannon
Some years ago we suffered an internet bank fraud, which turned out to be part of a major international scam. Barclays refunded our money, on condition we co-operated with the police investigation. The first question they asked was 'do you or have you ever used Paypal?'
We never have from that day on.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Boxsterboy

>> Incidentally, what happened to the old iron policy of no mobiles on forecourts? I haven't
>> seen a notice for a while, but is this a confirmation from the operators that
>> it was never necessary?
>>

The instructions with the Shell app tell you to scan the QR code at the pump from within your car (as if!). I down-loaded it but can't really see the point - it won't give you a Costa Coffee!
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Dog
I use PayPal to pay for a lorra things on-line, not just on Ebay, so I would have no qualms about using it for fuel.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Old Navy
I saw a PayPal cardboard info placard attached to the card reader in Greggs this morning. Good bacon roll too!
 Shell garages taking Paypal - mikeyb
>> I use PayPal to pay for a lorra things on-line, not just on Ebay, so
>> I would have no qualms about using it for fuel.
>>

Just remember you don't get the section 75 protection you would if you paid by card
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Dog
Thanks mikey, never heard of section 75 protection before.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> Just remember you don't get the section 75 protection you would if you paid by
>> card
>>
Hardly a problem buying fuel.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Bromptonaut

>> Hardly a problem buying fuel.
>>

Or a piece of bread pudding in Greggs.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - ....
Ah! could explain the £99 cut off when buying fuel in the UK. I remember not so long ago, maybe 3 years, having to fill my car in two goes and it costing over £110 to fill up.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Dave_
>> could explain the £99 cut off when buying fuel in the UK

It's always been 100 litres, in my experience. I quite often top up the 200-litre tank on my lorry at car pumps; I usually have to restart the pump when it reaches that volume. The last time was last week; 100 litres / £110.90 value. When I worked in a filling station in my youth I was told this was to mitigate cost and mess if the vehicle's tank was holed...
 Shell garages taking Paypal - maltrap
Just watched "Rip off Britain" on BBC. Someone paid for flooring, £1200 via a Paypal card machine. The supplier went bust, Barclaycard refused to reimburse, saying no Section 75 because you used Paypal. The BBC took up the case and the guy got his money back under Section 75.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Harleyman
>> One of my regularly used Shell forecourts now give you the option of downloading an
>> app and then using it to pay for fuel via Paypal. Considering it when fuelling
>> the bikes - saves messing around removing helmets.
>>

I don't (and won't) remove my lid if I'm just paying for petrol. It's an open-face jet type so if anyone jibs, I always say that the only difference will be that the bit above my eyebrows will be shiny and pink rather than shiny and black.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - R.P.
Bit more difficult for me with a full face (and a full head of hair)....I had Schuberth flip-front for a while...it was dreadfully uncomfortable...sold it and bought a full face again.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - WillDeBeest
Perhaps the Unfinished would have been easier to remove. Or you might try the Winterreise for those chilly Welsh days.
 Shell garages taking Paypal - Alastairw
Shell forecourts used mostly to owned by Shell, didn't they? I ask because my local Shell is now owned by Eurogarages, which probably explains why it is no longer the cheapest round here.
Latest Forum Posts