Motoring Discussion > BMW M50d triple turbo engine. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 16

BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - henry k
The days of simple engines has gone forever ?
How much more complication can be added ?

www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/motoring/diesel-performance/11821473/best-diesel-engine.html
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - rtj70
An electric turbo and recovery of energy from the heat in the exhaust gases.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - WillDeBeest
Just make sure you feed it Shell's very best, made-from-crushed-pandas diesel fuel, says Dr Titz.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - ....
Is this engine available in the UK ? I recall reading at launch the turbo layout and space restrictions meant they couldn't fit a steering rack for RHD.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - rtj70
The X5 and X6 M50d are listed - I assume they have triple turbos. I'm not sure it's available in a 5 series.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - ....
I think it was the 550d I'd read about when we looked a couple of years ago when a colleague was messing about with the works car configurator.

No idea about the X models.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - Alanovich
I'm sure I was sat behind an X5 badged "M50d" in traffic the other day. Would that be one of these?

Nice engine I'm sure but that vehicle (I hesitate to call it a car) is a grotesque thing. Like the sounds of RP's X Drive 3 series estate whateveritscalled though.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - J Bonington Jagworth
"that vehicle (I hesitate to call it a car) is a grotesque thing"

Agreed. Silk purses and sows' ears come to mind.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - Dave_
>> I'm sure I was sat behind an X5 badged "M50d" in traffic the other day.

One of our customers has one. It does the same job* as his old Range Rover Sport but uses half the fuel.

*and has the same image
Electric turbo, eh? As proposed by me in Car magazine c.1973 and possibly not original even then.
And water injection ...
www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/12/bmw-water-injection-system-gives-turbo-engine-boost/
Water (and steam) injection was described by Harry Ricardo in the 30's and was widely used to reduce detonation in supercharged aero engines during the war.

I met a chap years ago who had added a second in-line carburettor to his AJS 500 single - this was fed by a small tank of water+alcohol and he claimed to get 150mpg. The exhaust pipe was spotless inside!
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - DP
The M550d goes like the clappers, even with some poorly timed manual paddle-shifts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-KBPcwRlc

Not coming to the UK officially due to the high cost of repackaging the 4WD system for RHD.
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - Bobby
That's impressive - sounds like the first gear takes it to 50kmh, so around London you could get away with just the one gear version...........
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - Old Navy
And on the new 20mph main roads in Scotland.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34307227
>> And on the new 20mph main roads in Scotland.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34307227
>>
Which shows very distorted very wide angle views of the 20 mph road.
Poor editing :-(
 BMW M50d triple turbo engine. - DP
For a diesel to look so ridiculously quick in a straight line drag like that, it must be something a bit special. I worked out 0-100 mph to be somewhere around the 11-12 second mark. And from less than 3,000 cc in a big car, too. And the driver is wringing it out to way beyond 5,000 RPM in most gears too, which isn't where any diesel engine does its best work, even if it can get up there.

The overtaking punch and real world, in-gear acceleration on tap from that engine with 740NM of torque must be verging on the ridiculous.

I would love to think some skunkworks special 1- series exists somewhere with this engine installed.

Last edited by: DP on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 13:20
Latest Forum Posts