Motoring Discussion > Windscreens, (again, sorry). Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 20

Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Old Navy
As this is sunny Scotland, today it rained for the first time since my return from London. My windscreen was incredibly smeary and after a while I realised that the well meaning nephew in London who washed my car must have wax or silicone polished the screen. I tried a few cleaners to little effect until I tried an aerosol pre paint panel cleaner, followed by soapy (washing up liquid) water. That fixed it! Oh, don't forget the wiper blade needs a clean too.
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Manatee
Where does your nephew live? If west London then probably paraffin from aeroplanes.

London is a filthy place in general, although much better than it was in the 80s.
A bit too far from LHR, and a bit off the flightpath. Years ago I was returning a hire car on a hot windless summer afternoon after working in the South and then flying back up here. The whole area around LHR reeked of jet fuel.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 18:08
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Zero
they try not to dump fuel over heathrow, it makes the runway a tad slippy. Canvey Island or M25 southern section is favourite depending on where they are.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 18:09
I don't think fuel dumping was the problem, engines were not as efficient in those days and had a visible exhaust on take off.
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Bromptonaut
>> I don't think fuel dumping was the problem, engines were not as efficient in those
>> days and had a visible exhaust on take off.

Having been a plane spotter in the seventies there's a certain nostalgia about kerosene fumes. Memories of Viscounts and Fokker Friendships interspersed by the odd Aer Lingus 1-11 manoeuvring on Leeds Bradford's tiny 6 stand apron and blowing stuff over the spectators area.

Seeing The Lad off from Clermont Ferrand a couple of weeks ago I was swept by the efflux from Ryanair's 737 as it turned on the apron. Disappointingly, it hardly smelled at all.
I as close to the Edinburgh airport runway when a RAF VC10 departed a few years ago, dirty, smoky, and very noisy by modern standards. I used to fly to the States in them occasionally, brought back memories.
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - henry k
>> I as close to the Edinburgh airport runway when a RAF VC10 departed a few
>> years ago, dirty, smoky, and very noisy by modern standards.
>>
Nice clean aircraft compared with the old Coranados similar to those that Swissair and Spantax operated.
Watch one from behind as it started its takeoff roll and it just dissapeared.
r
www.youtube.com/watch?v=isP1LVVZ6nU
5 mins in is a demo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFc8hk2MreU
19secs, and 1.25mins in
How things have changed.
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Shiny
I have the same problem. I waxed the car but accidentally turned on my buffer machine with polish on it and it sprinted all over the car. The panel cleaner is a bit expensive though, I wonder what is in it as it has to be gentle enough for paint.
When I skied and maintained our skis I used ski wax remover to degrease the screen.
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Mapmaker
After the car has been parked for a week in central London it takes 150 miles of very heavy rain with the windscreen wipers on double speed before the window is clean again. (Plus copious squirts of screenwash.

Don't necessarily blame the nephew...
You could be right, I had driven from the Edinburgh area to London, a weeks running around and back all in the dry so there could have been a traffic film on the screen. Nephew is a detailing extremist and soon to be car valeting business owner so it is anyone's guess what he may have put on the windows when he practiced on my car. :-)
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Shiny
I just tried white spirit and will leave it overnight to dry off. It is the only thing that gets our stainless steel cookerhood smear free.
>> It is
>> the only thing that gets our stainless steel cookerhood smear free.

Apart from wiping it with a cloth and olive oil you mean
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - No FM2R
>> It is the only thing that gets our stainless steel cookerhood smear free.
>
>Apart from wiping it with a cloth and olive oil you mean

Well, I shall give that a go. Doesn't it attract dust?
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Mapmaker
>>Doesn't it attract dust?

I can't think of any good reason why it would. Dust will stick to it though...
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - No FM2R
s'wot I meant.
 Windscreens, (again, sorry). - Skip
I use WD40 on the stainless steel cooker.
>> I use WD40 on the stainless steel cooker.

same effect i guess.

>> Well, I shall give that a go. Doesn't it attract dust?

you wipe most of it off, you don't really want a film of it on there.
Does anyone here need to get lipstick off their windscreen? :-)

metro.co.uk/2015/09/21/this-is-a-novel-way-to-tell-your-babys-dad-youre-expecting-5401775/
Latest Forum Posts