Motoring Discussion > I know trucks have blind spots, but.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 12

I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Robin O'Reliant
.....not through the front windscreen.

www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/virals/11755202/Motorcyclists-brush-with-death-when-lorry-crushes-his-4000-Ducati.html
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Bobby
That is worrying because as far as I can see, the motorbike probably was in his blindspot for that whole turn just about. The biker was behind the windscreen pillar and obviously lower down as well.

Did well to react and jump off his bike! Don't know how easy it is to jump from a stationery bike that size?
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - nice but dim
He (HGV driver) couldn't have taken the corner any differently due to the layout and available space but he should have been more aware and stopped to allow the biker to create more tuning space.
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - No FM2R
He assumed the space was clear. He didn't know the space was clear.

There could have been a child, a bicycle, a hole, anything. You cannot drive into a space you *assume* to be clear. If you cannot see, then stand up, move, don't make the turn, have a mate, whatever.

He was absolutely negligent because he assumed, he should be prosecuted.

A separate point is permitting vehicles of that size on the road in the first place. Seems unwise to me.
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Zero
The biker wasn't in the blind spot all the time, the lorry driver will be looking at points, quite a few I think, on his license.

>A separate point is permitting vehicles of that size on the road in the first place. Seems unwise to me.

Its about the same size as a London bus, you want those banned as well?

Crap driving is crap driving, size does not come into it.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 Jul 15 at 16:49
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - No FM2R
Do buses have a route which involves making that turn with that level of visibility?

If buses are making a turn where they *assume* the road is clear, then yes I would like that stopped. Wouldn't you?

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 22 Jul 15 at 16:57
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Zero
There are loads of places that buses have to do similar manoeuvres, almost completely without incidence.

I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Armel Coussine
My guess is that the truck driver was looking towards the road verge and trees on his right, and simply failed to see the parked bike.

These things happen all the time. Not the best bit of truck driving I've ever seen I must say. Perhaps the pilot was drunk or ill, or being attacked by one of these hornets we are told about.

I wonder if Pat has a few words?
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Pat
Absolutely I have!

Before making that turn he should have looked into the road and made a mental note of what was there. That would have allowed him to concentrate on the turn (as he was doing) but with a picture in his mind of what else was about.

He failed to do that and for once I agree with Mark and Z, prosecution, points etc and another point for being a local and should have more sense:)

Well, I can't agree with Mark completely, can I?

Ban lorries that size in that road....how do you get bricks, lintels etc delivered to build houses?

We take artics down roads like that in London but by bending in the middle they would have made that turn needing less room in the side road but more in the main road.

A bad driver is a bad driver whatever he's driving.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Wed 22 Jul 15 at 17:20
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Armel Coussine
>> failed to see the parked bike.

I now see that the bike wasn't parked and was being ridden.

Good heavens!

I see from the video that the truck was clumsily and badly placed on the road. I wonder whether its real driver was driving it. Perhaps he let his mate or apprentice have a go in an unsuitable place.
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Dave_
>> I wonder whether its real driver was driving it. Perhaps he let his mate or apprentice have a go

Unlikely, given the training, licence and digi tacho card requirements.

I would say the driver glanced down the side-street as it came into view, but didn't consciously separate the bike from all the stationary vehicles before looking in all the other directions he needed to.

The truck I drive has the same cab, albeit a little lower (only one step up into mine). It has some pretty impressive blind spots created by the great big plastic housings for its six mirrors; at a junction like this one I bob about in the driver's seat, forwards, backwards, sideways to see around the pillars and mirrors and make certain I know what's happening on every inch of my road right now.

If I can't be sure it's clear, I don't press the Go pedal.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Wed 22 Jul 15 at 21:16
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - Mr. Ecs
As far as I know those trucks used by that company have rear wheel steering as well.

It appears the driver is too reliant on it. If I had been driving a front only steer into that road I would have made more use of the main road to swing in rather than cut the corner. The way I suggest you would see the road through the side windows, use the mirrors to check the near side and see any traffic emerging from that side road.

The lorry driver cut the turn which caused the front post and mirrors to mask the biker. Terrible and shows how close this was to a tragedy.
 I know trucks have blind spots, but.... - zippy
Love the witness hugging the biker, human nature and all that!
Latest Forum Posts