Motoring Discussion > More insurance ahead scratchers!! Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 2

More insurance ahead scratchers!! - Bobby
Just phoned our insurer (Directline) for a quote for my 20 year old daughter on a Toyota Aygo that she is thinking of buying.

If insurance starts today, its £726.10 to include her, wife and I, £550.14 for daughter only
If insurance starts Sunday its £516.22 for daughter only
If insurance starts on Monday its £495.02 for daughter only
If insurance starts next Friday its £425.06 for daughter or £482.30 for the 3 of us !!

So by delaying a week. the insurance comes down £230 ! All quotes are for one year insurance.

I asked why the discrepancy (It was him who suggested trying different dates) he said he didn't know but thinks it goes along the lines of train tickets ie if you need the insurance now, you will pay what is required. But if you don't need it for another week, you will shop around and take the better option!

On a similar note, 17 year old son passed his test today so to add him to mother's 1.25 Fiesta until October(renewal date), it was £162.18. However if we fit the telematics box (which is free) the premium comes down to £87.98. A no brainer!! And it has a tracker built in to it and you can see on your smart phone at any point where the car is.

Thank God when I was wee and driving my Talbot Samba, my dad didn't have a box on it that he could track me via his smart phone!

In all seriousness, think it might be a wee prompt for son to just drive carefully because the box is there.
 More insurance ahead scratchers!! - spamcan61
Spamette Minor had the same thing when insuring her mighty Micra, well over a hundred quid difference between starting the policy next day and next week.
 More insurance ahead scratchers!! - Falkirk Bairn
Self & SWMBO only CRV Ex

2014 - £184 Comp
2015 - Renewal £216!! - 10 minute phonecall £176 - Job done

Other insurers I had heard of were slightly cheaper but had HUGE excesses totalling £450+ - often hidden as they only showed the Voluntary £200 excess and you had to drill down to see the compulsory

20 years ago I was paying for off spring on the Policies - £500+ for a 1.5 Honda for 2 x 17 yr olds + 21 year old - their own cars were £500+ TPF&T - glad these days are long gone.
Latest Forum Posts