Motoring Discussion > Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 6

Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - idle_chatterer
I just spent the longest time in the UK that I have in 5 years, drove 1800 miles in a new Skoda Octavia with a 1.6TDi and DSG. Your roads are crowded but you are (IMHO) a polite lot, it is so much more relaxing not to worry (too much) about being undertaken and to see the corollary of people moving left when not overtaking. You do exceed the speed limits more than Aussies though.

I didn't 'choose' this vehicle, I had ordered a manual Mondeo but this was on the lot when I arrived. The hire company (at Heathrow) were excellent but very busy, they asked whether I'd mind an auto (which I didn't) so upon checking the boot size (a key requisite) I took it.

So, that boot - it is a good size, took 4 large suitcases plus laptop and small backpacks with a little careful loading. Interior space was also fine for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (who were very happy in the back).

It handled well enough, I am pretty sure it had the 'cheaper' torsion beam rear suspension, it clanked occasionally just like I recall our FN3 Civic did. I'd say it rode better with some weight on board e.g. 4 up, with just me I think the ride was a little harsh and skittery but then I suspect the tyres were set to the fully occupied pressure. As a matter of principle I see the downgraded suspension as a negative, the last model had independent rear suspension, higher spec Golfs and Octavias still have it, so why deprive lower spec cars ? (OK, for VAG profits).

The engine / gearbox combination worked well - really well. It had the DQ200 dry clutch 7 speed box just like my Golf VI had, just as I remembered it it changed smoothly, quickly and efficiently. Maybe one change in 100 was harsh, however - from my ownership experience I wouldn't trust this box long term, I am not convinced they've fixed the overheating problems, I didn't do much town driving (where it was smooth), once bitten, twice shy.... The car only had 1500 miles on the clock.

The 1.6TDi 77KW (105PS I think) was sufficient - no more (IMHO), performed acceptably when loaded with 4 people and luggage and returned 55mpg. The stop/start was unobtrusive and suits the DSG well - in fact I wonder whether it might somehow mitigate the dry clutch overheating problem ? Honestly I'd prefer a 2.0TDi with a wet-clutch DQ250 DSG. A neat party trick in Eco mode was to coast on the over-run.

The Skoda was well equipped with some omissions, a great stereo with DAB & Bluetooth, a leather steering wheel but no remote controls for the stereo. No cruise control was an omission from my perspective - standard on most cars in Aus so maybe I'm spoiled. I could live without auto lights and wipers but an auto dimming mirror would have been nice. Climate control was good and you could configure how 'aggressive' the air con was. I think Skoda may have recently updated this model with an SE+ pack including these 'omissions'. It had a full complement of safety equipment I am glad to say.

Notable penny pinching on the Skoda ? No adjustment for instrument lighting, no struts for the bonnet (both of which even the lowliest Polo has), no trim on the internal window surrounds - VAG marque differentiation I suspect ?

So, I liked it, it served my purposes well, I'd buy one although I'd prefer the IRS, DQ250 and some more power.

Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - Old Navy
>> I just spent the longest time in the UK that I have in 5 years,
>> drove 1800 miles in a new Skoda Octavia with a 1.6TDi and DSG. Your roads
>> are crowded but you are (IMHO) a polite lot, it is so much more relaxing
>> not to worry (too much) about being undertaken and to see the corollary of people
>> moving left when not overtaking. You do exceed the speed limits more than Aussies though.

While driving Aussie visitors recently, one commented on the politeness of UK drivers. My answer was if you don't give way on some of our roads no one would get anywhere. Concern was expressed about the speed we drive on wet roads. We don't get the oil and rubber build up on the roads and I suspect their tyres use a harder tread compound.
 Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - Manatee
>> Concern was expressed about the speed we drive on wet roads. We don't get
>> the oil and rubber build up on the roads and I suspect their tyres use
>> a harder tread compound.

I'm concerned at the way many people drive on wet roads, and I live here. There are plenty who make no visible allowance at all, and probably have little sense of how near or far they are from the edge of grip and stopping ability until something goes wrong, when they will blame the conditions/road surface/tyres or whatever.
 Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - Old Navy
>> I'm concerned at the way many people drive on wet roads, and I live here.

I think the wet road concern was because the first rain for months or years in Aus lifts the oil and rubber and gives a surface with grip similar to black ice.
 Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - Zero

>> I'm concerned at the way many people drive on wet roads, and I live here.
>> There are plenty who make no visible allowance at all, and probably have little sense
>> of how near or far they are from the edge of grip and stopping ability
>> until something goes wrong, when they will blame the conditions/road surface/tyres or whatever.

I think, on balance, UK drivers are probably some of the best in the world in the wet. We do it often enough so we should be.
 Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - No FM2R
>>I think, on balance, UK drivers are probably some of the best in the world in the wet.

I don't think you need "in the wet". By and large driving in the UK is much more pleasant, or less horrible, than most places in the world. The only exceptions being the massively less populated.

For city driving or crowded roads, give me the British environment any time.
 Skoda - 3 weeks and 1800 miles in a 1.6TD DSG Octavia - Manatee
Thanks for taking the trouble to write that. I think you are right about the brand differentiation.

I imagine the stop start will save the gearbox to some extent, depending on the driver. Probably not many have found the bit in the manual that says "do not hold the car on the accelerator", which is a fairly natural and relatively harmless thing to do in an old-time TC auto, but destructive to a friction clutch, especially the single dry plate DQ200 one as compared with the multiplate wet clutches in other versions of the DSG. I'm hoping that by being aware of how it works, and how to drive it, ours in the 1,2TSI Popemobile will last...
Latest Forum Posts