Motoring Discussion > Roof bars question Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 12

Roof bars question - Hard Cheese

Hi All,

Can / should I use "U" bolts to fit a roof box to aluminium roof bars, I know I can with steel bars though I am concerned about damaging the aluminium bars?

Thanks.
 Roof bars question - Old Navy
I would think that if you tighten them enough to be safe the bars will be crush damaged unless the clamps are wide.

You may need something like this:-

tinyurl.com/33mw9ch
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 14 Jul 10 at 11:35
 Roof bars question - FotheringtonTomas
He could use two nuts tightened together on the "U" bolts - 4 nuts per "U" bolt, and not crimp the bars. OTOH there's probably something "proper" available.

Thanks.

I have done a lot of Googling and searching on Halfords and relevant roof bar / box manufacturers sites and I cannot find anything that says not to use U bolts with aluminium bars.

The issue is that the Thule steel bars I have for one car are too short for the other car and I would like to get the aluminium bars this time around.

Roof bars question - Zero
Dont the makers of the bars - thule? - make a recomendation or provide a solution?

why the choice of aluminium bars anyway?

I need different "Fixpoints" and a fitting kit for the Focus than the Mondeo, I was hoping to use the same bars though they are too short so I actually need a whole new set.

Aluminium ones look better, are lighter and apparently produce less road noise when no box is fitted.

Roof bars question - henry k
>>The issue is that the Thule steel bars I have for one car are too short for the other car and I would like to get the aluminium bars this time around.

>>I need different "Fixpoints" and a fitting kit for the Focus than the Mondeo, I was hoping to use the same bars though they are too short so I actually need a whole new set.

When I recently researched Thule bars I found that there were about 4/5 different length
bars only.
I bought my Thule bars on Fleabay for Five pounds.
IMO worth looking as the potential savings are very large.

>>>>why the choice of aluminium bars anyway?
>>Aluminium ones look better, are lighter and apparently produce less road noise when no box is fitted.
IIRC there are also locks available for them.

Roof bars question - Old Navy
>> Dont the makers of the bars - thule? - make a recomendation or provide a
>> solution?

Yes they do, it is a fitting that slides into a slot along the top of the bar.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 14 Jul 10 at 12:51

>>
>> Yes they do, it is a fitting that slides into a slot along the top
>> of the bar.
>>

That depends on the design of the roof box:

I have found this quote:

"You can use the U bolts on aerobars but they'll be scratched"

Bought some, Atera, German, rather than being modular like Thule they are designed to fit the car so easier to fit and I can keep my Thule ones made up to fit the Mondeo.

The aluminium bars are very solid, there is no way that they will be crushed by the U bolts.

And the complete set cost less than a new set of feet and a fitting kit for my existing Thule steel bars.

Roof bars question - Baz
I have found that foam pipe insulation protects them well, or if not, wrapping the fixing area with thick insulating tape.

Just removed the roof bars after the summer hols etc which remined me to say that I can highly recommend the Atera roof bars, well made and fairly quiet, also very solid so no way that the roof box clamps can squash the bars as I feared.

Roof bars question - NeilS
Cheddar, thanks for this, I was contemplating buying the adaptors for my Thule aero bars rather than use my old U clamps but having you confirm no problem I went ahead and stuck with them.

Just got back from 10 days, 1000 miles and no damage to the bars. The bottom of each clamp has a very slight curve to it that wasn't there before due no doubt to over tightening on my part.
Latest Forum Posts