Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 29   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 96

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 29 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 30 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Jul 15 at 17:28

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - VxFan
Regarding his antics that were mentioned in the previous thread, he was only letting off some steam at the end of the race.

No harm done and the girl who got a soaking will no doubt be asked participate in some TV Celebrity show in a couple of years time and make her fortune. Everyone is a winner.

btw, I removed some stuff and nonsense from the last volume that was posted by people who should know better.
 Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - No FM2R
He thinks its clever to shake a bottle of champagne and spray it in the face of a girl who has to stand there and take it.

Not all over the girl, but directly into her face. That is the behaviour of a dick with a need to prove something. In another world he'd do body building and have a pitt bull, tattoos and a pickup with big tyres.

Whether or not the girl agrees to it willingly, feels she has no choice or needs the money, he still thinks its clever and funny.

In Brazil these girls fight for that type of job and ultimately will agree to just about anything so that they keep the job. If they don't agree, the next one will. I don't suppose China is much different.

I think your wish to excuse it as just "letting off steam" and AC's willingness to accept it because "they're all a bit yobbish" doesn't really change the position.

No doubt that attitude is part of why he is a successful driver. But it doesn't make him a nice person.
>> He thinks its clever to shake a bottle of champagne and spray it in the face of a girl who has to stand there and take it.

So, you didn't own a water pistol or super soaker as a teenager then, and squirt someone else in the face whether they agreed to it or not?

She knew the risks of being stood on the podium. It's not as if that's the first time champagne / Rosewater has been liberally sprayed around.

Like I previously said, no harm done. But in this day and age she's probably on the phone to her lawyer trying to seek compensation.
>>So, you didn't own a water pistol or super soaker as a teenager then, and squirt someone else in the face whether they agreed to it or not?

No. As a child younger than a teenager I might have done, but I'd learned a bit by the time I was 12 - probably younger.

Whether she is prepared to accept it or not, it seems a sad thing to enjoy doing and to think is funny/clever. We're not talking here of someone who got accidentally soaked in the course of events, we're talking of a situation where he aimed at her face.

However, the point here is that you think it is acceptable behaviour and I do not. I think it speaks to the man's character, and you do not.

I doubt either of us will convince the other, we simply have different standards.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 10:54
If she couldn't enter into the spirit of things, then perhaps she shouldn't have been there.

The money she was paid and the 5 mins of fame will no doubt more than make up for it though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 10:56
 Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Armel Coussine
>> However, the point here is that you think it is acceptable behaviour and I do not. I think it speaks to the man's character, and you do not.

>> I doubt either of us will convince the other, we simply have different standards.

That's a supercilious way of making your point FMR. You just aren't being rational about the surrounding circumstances.

Look: no one would spray champagne in a girl's face at home. You wouldn't, I wouldn't and Lewis Hamilton wouldn't. But on the podium after winning a race, who knows what one might do?

You are being po-faced about something utterly conventional and commonplace. Which incidentally says nothing whatsoever about Hamilton's character or personality. Who gives a damn whether he's a 'nice person' or not? That isn't what he's for.

>> Who gives a damn whether he's a 'nice person' or not? That isn't what he's for.

Nevertheless, I now remember, LH is quite capable of kind and considerate behaviour. I know this from a personal incident involving people I know well. Forgive me but I haven't got the right to spell it out.

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Westpig
>> However, the point here is that you think it is acceptable behaviour and I do
>> not. I think it speaks to the man's character, and you do not.
>>
>> I doubt either of us will convince the other, we simply have different standards.
>>

Would Button have done that?....No.

It's called standards and having the right amount of thought for other people.

As worrying as it is...I'm with NoFM2R on this one.
>> Would Button have done that?....No.

He's hardly ever likely too either unless Honda pull their finger out and give him a decent engine.

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - rtj70
>> In another world he'd do body building and have a pitt bull, tattoos and a pickup with big tyres.

In his world, he's got the tattoos, probably a pickup (certainly cars with large tyres), and actually a bulldog called Roscoe. And a big gold chain. So apart from body building he's doing all that now. Plus he's got a private jet (Bombardier).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 11:29
 Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Manatee
>>In his world, he's got the tattoos, probably a pickup (certainly cars with large tyres), and actually a bulldog called Roscoe. And a big gold chain

In some respects, fame and wealth may not have changed him:)

We make up our own images of course from the mask of celebrity that we are presented with, but I suspect he forces the laddish behaviour a bit which might account for his not getting it quite right - he might not be highly educated but he didn't get where he is without being reasonably intelligent, a thinker, and perhaps a bit of a loner too.

Good to see a British champion. The boy done well.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 12:04
 Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - henry k
>> >> In another world he'd do body building and have a pitt bull, tattoos and a pickup with big tyres.
>>
>> In his world, he's got a big gold chain.
>>
Keep up Two big gold chains.
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03262/celebs-lewishamilt_3262748k.jpg

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Old Navy
>> Keep up Two big gold chains.
>> i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03262/celebs-lewishamilt_3262748k.jpg
>>

He seems to feel that he has something to prove.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 13:07
>> >> Keep up Two big gold chains.
>> >> i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03262/celebs-lewishamilt_3262748k.jpg
>> >>
>>
>> He seems to feel that he has something to prove.

Some will deny it, but I think we all have something to prove unless and until we retreat to the retirement bungley-hole, draw the net curtains, and cut ourselves off any sort of social intercourse while waiting for the big sleep.
>> Some will deny it,
>>

I have retired to a bungalow, minus net curtains. I am happy with my lot, have done enough with my life to be content, have travelled the world, and still do. There are people who are richer in cash terms than me and a lot who are cleverer. I am at the happy time of life when I don't care what people think and I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone.

I deny it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 13:37

>> >> Some will deny it,
>> >>
>>
>> I have retired to a bungalow, minus net curtains. I am happy with my lot,
>> have done enough with my life to be content, have travelled the world, and still
>> do. There are people who are richer in cash terms than me and a lot
>> who are cleverer. I am at the happy time of life when I don't care
>> what people think and I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone.
>>
>> I deny it.

Your spats with a certain person suggest otherwise.

Nothing wrong with bungley-holes, I have one :)
>> Your spats with a certain person suggest otherwise.
>>
>> Nothing wrong with bungley-holes, I have one :)
>>

Its just online fun, he could be a seven foot bodybuilder with a big tyred Mitsubishi pickup and a small yappy dog. :-)

>> btw, I removed some stuff and nonsense from the last volume that was posted by people who should know better.
>>

Wrist slap accepted. Attitude sussed. :-)
 Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Focusless
FWIW hostess says she "didn't think too much about it":
www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-champagne-spraying-incident-not-5528075

Like I previously said (twice), no harm done.

All down to some interfering busy body with too much time on their hands.

As I said, its not about what she likes, its about the type of person that thinks spraying champagne in someone's face is cool.

And the doubly sad types who like to watch it. Freud would have a field day.
>> As I said, its not about what she likes, its about the type of person
>> that thinks spraying champagne in someone's face is cool.

Let's be slightly more accurate about this. Almost all race winners spray champagne (or cheap plonk) in one anothers faces on the podium.

Occasionally one of those race winners will also spray it over someone else who just so happens to be stood there as well.

They should know that this could happen. They stand on the podium at their own risk.
>> Freud would have a field day.

OFFS FMR... get indignant by all means, but over something actually bad, not trivial commonplace high jinks.
As I said, AC & VX, you have different standards to me, its not any more trivial or significant than that.

>> AC & VX, you have different standards to me,

Quite possibly, but standards don't come into this. I think what you really mean here is 'attitudes'. Ours are adult and yours are faux-naif, soppy and girly.

(Heh heh... but quite sympathetic nevertheless).
Why are you getting so obsessed and upset over my opinions? Calm down AC, perhaps some of your beloved drugs might help.

If I had meant "attitudes", then I would have said so.

>> Why are you getting so obsessed and upset over my opinions? Calm down AC, perhaps some of your beloved drugs might help.

Cheeky whippersnapper. I don't give a damn for your opinions. You said 'standards', but knowing nothing of anyone else's standards, what you meant was attitudes.

But this is a place for the exchange of views. If yours are too sacred and perfect to be examined, you should say so. It would be a pity, but that's life. You're a bit earnest but you have your moments.

>>what you meant was attitudes.

I cannot help what you wish I meant, I said standards and I meant standards.

Oh all right then, standards.

Poncy word for attitudes though I can't help feeling.

What's the expression, damn, damn, I have it! No, it's gone again. Just as well probably.

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - swiss tony
>> Oh all right then, standards.
>>
>> Poncy word for attitudes though I can't help feeling.

In my mind the two words in this scenario have similar but not identical meanings...

Standard - a level that one aspires to obtain, behaviour that is becoming (expected?) of people in the current surroundings.
ie an external ideal.

attitude - a level that one has, behaviour that comes naturally to am individual.
ie internal behaviour, created by ones upbringing etc. perhaps a starting point from which higher standards (sic) can be achieved.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Fri 17 Apr 15 at 06:51
I'll try one more time.

'Standards' has a moral or hierarchical subtext. It suggests that FMR is a sensitive chivalrous cat and that those who are not greatly moved by podium high jinks are insensitive bullying yobs.

I don't suppose FMR used the word on purpose to give that impression. Indeed I think he is a sensitive chivalrous cat. But so am I, although I can't speak for anyone else. I think the word 'attitudes' is more accurate and more appropriate.

>>I'll try one more time

Yes, let's both do that;

I wrote "standards".

I meant "standards".

I tried. You just repeated yourself, not the same thing at all.

So you're right in a way. We do have different standards. Nothing further to be gained from a dialogue de sourds, hmmm?

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Dutchie
Don't know about standards Hamilton is a t*** doing that.
 Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - henry k
Champagne Charlie ? Now a proper Charlie.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33501951

A Wimbledon spokesman said: "If he [Hamilton] was not adequately dressed you could infer that he would not have been let in, but we do not comment on our guests.
"If he came without a jacket, tie or shoes he would have had two choices - not staying or going to get some extra stuff."

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Skip
>> Champagne Charlie ? Now a proper Charlie.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33501951
>>
>> A Wimbledon spokesman said: "If he [Hamilton] was not adequately dressed you could infer that
>> he would not have been let in, but we do not comment on our guests.
>> "If he came without a jacket, tie or shoes he would have had two choices
>> - not staying or going to get some extra stuff."
>>

That arrogant little t*** probably thought that he was too important to have to comply with the dress code.

Lewis Hamilton - Champagne Charlie - Focusless
...or his agent forgot to tell him?

Bahrain - henry k
www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118608

Daniel Ricciardo onto his fourth F1 engine after Bahrain GP failure but having more fun than Jenson.

What are the penalties for using engines above your quota ?

Bahrain - Old Navy
Someone seems to have had a word in Hamiltons ear about directly spraying support staff with fizzy stuff. Or maybe he reads this forum. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 11:43

Bahrain - Armel Coussine
>> Someone seems to have had a word in Hamiltons ear about directly spraying support staff with fizzy stuff. Or maybe he reads this forum. :)

What makes you think so ON?

Bahrain - Alastairw
They get moved back on the grid when they use too many. Happened to Vettel last year.

F1 Any future ? - henry k
Silverstone boss questions Formula 1 entertainment value

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32506582

Warwick: Restrictions 'killing' Formula One
www.sportal.co.nz/motorsport/news/warwick-restrictions-killing-formula-one/1xytti2azgdmw1j11f9atdwquy

Red Bull say they will quit F1 unless Audi join forces with them

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32688667

F1 Any future ? - Zero
>> Red Bull say they will quit F1 unless Audi join forces with them
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32688667

toys out of pram time. Their real problem is that Adrian Newey has done another moody.

Refuelling to return from 2017 season and more changes

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32751118

F1 Any future ? - Skip
>> Refuelling to return from 2017 season and more changes
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32751118
>>

Everything they do to try and make it more exciting just seems to end up making it more boring !

F1 Any future ? - Zero
>> Refuelling to return from 2017 season and more changes
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32751118

So, let me get this right. They bring in Hybrid power trains to develop, showcase and accelerate the adoption alternative power sources, and then they also bring in fuel stops i.e. remove the need to save fuel?

F1 Any future ? - andyfr
>> >> Refuelling to return from 2017 season and more changes
>> >>
>> >> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32751118
>>
>> So, let me get this right. They bring in Hybrid power trains to develop, showcase
>> and accelerate the adoption alternative power sources, and then they also bring in fuel stops
>> i.e. remove the need to save fuel?
>>
>>
No, still the same restriction on quantity:

The FIA said a "maximum race fuel allowance" would be retained. A spokesman said there had been "no agreement to change" the current 100kg limit but added: "This could evolve." However, he added that the maximum fuel-flow rate of 100kg per hour would stay.

F1 Any future ? - Armel Coussine
Yes, too complicated. No real point in it either, perhaps weight optimization but that would be cancelled out by fuel stops. The hybrid thing may be favoured by car makers who use it for research to be modified and applied to road vehicles, but it makes boring noises and is boringly slow, measured and scientific.

I'm with Bernie Eclestone who wants to revert to screaming banshee 1,000 hp cars that go very fast and can only be driven by the brave.

Formula 1 is not competitive enough, say majority of fans.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33351824

Spanish GP - henry k
"a dynamic, predatory graphite-grey colouration, complemented by xxxxxxx day-glow 'speedmarks' and key lines".

He added that the idea was to "optimise (the car) not only for bright sunshine but also for floodlights used in twilight and night races".

Glad you approve :-)
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32611280

Spanish GP - Alastairw
Doesn't disguise the fact they are rather short of major sponsors. Of the current crop the Williams is the best looker IMO.

Spanish GP - Zero
Alonso's Helmet causes brake failure....

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32689250

important F1 news - Focusless
Can't believe nobody else has posted this:
www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/geri-halliwell-wedding-live-updates-5702016

Missed most of the excitement now unfortunately.

:)

important F1 news - Zero
>> Can't believe nobody else has posted this:
>> www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/geri-halliwell-wedding-live-updates-5702016

Which one of the Spice Girls can drink petrol?

Geri can.

important F1 news - Roger.
Red Bull energy drink obligatory for all sorts of reasons :-)

important F1 news - bathtub tom
>> Which one of the Spice Girls can drink petrol?
>>
>> Geri can.

That was so awful, I logged in to give you a green thumb!

Monaco - Armel Coussine
My oldest enthusiast friend says he hopes it will rain on race day. I agree. Sorts out the sheep from the goats, a slippery circuit, and makes the whole thing less predictable.

I seem to remember a race a couple of decades back in which a car or two came out of the tunnel spinning, or even backwards. But perhaps I'm imagining it.

Monaco - Old Navy
I agree that a wet track highlights the skilled drivers. A good driver in an off the pace car has a better chance than an average F1 driver in a good car. Less chance of a well spaced procession.

Monaco - Slidingpillar
Wet tarmac varies immensely in its characteristics. In my days of Sprint and Hillclimbs I could not do a wet Curbourough for the life of me, but Kames saw me utterly paste the opposition.

Monaco - Mike Hannon
Please don't discuss this point any more - Bernie or someone might notice and next year they'll be spraying circuits on alternate laps in another desperate bid to beat the boredom.
 Monaco - Focusless
That was seriously suggested a few seasons ago IIRC.

EDIT: www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/mar/25/bernie-ecclestone-formula-one-harry-pearson
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 23 May 15 at 11:42

Monaco - Armel Coussine
>> I agree that a wet track highlights the skilled drivers. A good driver in an off the pace car has a better chance than an average F1 driver in a good car. Less chance of a well spaced procession.

Unfortunately the weather forecast is fine and dry.

Monaco GP - Roger.
Conspiracy theorists to the fore!

Why did Mercedes screw up Hamilton's pretty sure first place in Monaco today?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 May 15 at 01:33

Monaco GP - Westpig
>> Conspiracy theorists to the fore!
>>
>> Why did Mercedes screw up Hamilton's pretty sure first place in Monaco today?
>>
They made a mistake?

Monaco GP - Focusless
>> They made a mistake?

That's certainly the impression Niki Lauda gave in his interview on BBC after - not a happy bunny.

Loved the way Hamilton, obviously (and understandably) peed off, slowly and deliberately drove into his 3rd place marker board when he parked up after crossing the line.

Monaco GP - Focusless
>> Loved the way Hamilton, obviously (and understandably) peed off, slowly and deliberately drove into his
>> 3rd place marker board when he parked up after crossing the line.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/32537717
45 seconds in - still making me laugh :)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 May 15 at 01:34

Monaco GP - Focusless
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/32537717
>> 45 seconds in - still making me laugh :)

Sorry - you have to click on 'Highlights', then the 'Hamilton distraught after pit error' video (and go 45 seconds in).

Monaco GP - ....

>> Loved the way Hamilton, obviously (and understandably) peed off, slowly and deliberately drove into his
>> 3rd place marker board when he parked up after crossing the line.
>>
If that's the case, should have parked up 1cm short of the line and finished last of the finishing cars. $100m contract signed, show the team they should not mess about with him during a race.
This is what has finished F1 for me. I won't even bother to watch the "highlights".

Monaco GP - Armel Coussine
>> Loved the way Hamilton, obviously (and understandably) peed off, slowly and deliberately drove into his 3rd place marker board when he parked up after crossing the line.

So did I. Not so slowly though, those cars are either going fast or stopping very suddenly!

Very witty I thought.

Monaco GP - swiss tony
>> Loved the way Hamilton, obviously (and understandably) peed off, slowly and deliberately drove into his 3rd place marker board when he parked up after crossing the line.
>>

I wonder is he used to throw his dummy out the pram like that?

I can understand him being upset, but that was childish.

Monaco GP - VxFan
>> I can understand him being upset, but that was childish.

I was about to say that he's still quite young so its understandable, but looking up his age just now I didn't realise he's 30 yrs old.

Monaco GP - Manatee
>> >> I can understand him being upset, but that was childish.
>>
>> I was about to say that he's still quite young so its understandable, but looking
>> up his age just now I didn't realise he's 30 yrs old.

Quite a mild response I would say. A lot of adrenaline circulating at that point. He was fairly measured in his remarks not long afterwards.

Monaco GP - Manatee
Well the safety car certainly changed the result, aided by a major cock up from Mercedes that not only took the win from Hamilton and gave it to Rosberg but lost them the 1-2 as well. Lauda looked furious.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32865694

Young Verstappen went in very hard after a couple of near misses, suffering the eventual fate of the dedicated tailgater when he hit Grosjean up the chuff and embedded his car in a barrier. And like the typical tailgater, he blamed the bloke in front for braking at the wrong time. The stewards disagreed.

Formula E - Focusless
They're showing qualifying for the Berlin round of the electric version of F1 (sort of) on ITV4 at the moment, finishes 12.15. The race is on at 2pm.

EDIT: actually it looks more like upmarket karting
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 23 May 15 at 11:38

Formula E - Focusless
Really, the cars look nice and shiny, but the circuit looks terrible - a few concrete blocks marking out an arbitrary route around a bit of airport concrete. Can't believe they're going to race on that.

Formula E - Zero
>> They're showing qualifying for the Berlin round of the electric version of F1 (sort of)
>> on ITV4 at the moment, finishes 12.15. The race is on at 2pm.
>>
>> EDIT: actually it looks more like upmarket karting

Nah, Karting is exciting. FE is a complete waste of time, so out of kilter the cars wont even make full race distance.
 Motor racing in general - Westpig
I've been a motor racing fan since I can remember... and specifically F1.

Monaco though I find utterly boring. Will probably watch it, more out of habit than anything else, but it's too narrow and no straights, so where do they think any overtaking will come from?

Tried watching European touring cars the other day, at the Nurburgring...ought to have been awesome on the proper old circuit. Totally boring. Didn't bother watching race two.

IMO modern aerodynaincs are ruining racing, the cars can't stick behind the car in front on a corner, so therefore are not close enough to slipstream down the straight, so there's very limited overtaking. So what's the point?

I'd rather watch some saloon cars circa 1950's to 1970's.
Last edited by: Westpig on Sat 23 May 15 at 12:08
 Motor racing in general - Manatee
There's a "Formula 1 Rewind" on at 16.10 today which revisits BBC coverage of the 82, 84 and 96 races at Monaco. I'm looking forward to that as much as this year's highlights that follow.

I still like Monaco. Allowing that overtaking is very difficult I can foresee possible fireworks between Rosberg and Hamilton. Rosberg seems to have got his mojo back, won the last race, and has won the last three at Monaco. Hamilton has just had his ability to walk on water confirmed by Mercedes' signing of a three year £100m contract with him.

Hamilton is not making any rash predictions and is being quite modest about his command of the circuit, but he will be trying very hard. Maybe it will all be put to bed in qualifying.

There remains the probability of a safety car at some point, which usually makes the race more interesting if more random and the result less of a representation of driver and car ability.

Historic F1 at Brands Hatch - crocks
I went to Brands Hatch today to see the Historic F1 meeting. A full grid of DFV engined cars - Lotus, Williams, Tyrrell, March, Benetton, Arrows, Ensign, Penske, Shadow, Brabham. The sound of them all as they came round on the first lap was delightful and at the end of the straight, just before they braked for Hawthorn's, the noise was painful without earplugs.

The support races included 1990's Touring Cars, Historic Sports Cars including Ford GT40s and Lola T70s, Pre-66 GTs like E-types, Pre-61 sports cars and Historic Formula Fords.

However my favourite was the Pre-66 Saloon Cars. Ford Falcons and Mustangs racing against Mk 1 Cortinas and Minis. Real wheel to wheel racing with the Minis holding their own against the much bigger cars.

A great dose of nostalgia and a fine day out.
 Historic F1 at Brands Hatch - Zero

>> However my favourite was the Pre-66 Saloon Cars. Ford Falcons and Mustangs racing against Mk
>> 1 Cortinas and Minis.

I'd love one of those Falcons (or the similar Galaxie)

Historic F1 at Brands Hatch - Armel Coussine
>> I'd love one of those Falcons (or the similar Galaxie)

Galaxie a size up, a big car not a semi-compact Falcon. There were 7-litre Galaxies. They were very quick thundering monsters in their day when poperly fettled, dramatic to watch too, lifting front wheels and so on.

Can't remember for sure but I seem to remember that a well modified well driven Lotus Cortina would be as quick or quicker round a tightish road circuit. Anything but a banked oval really.

Falcons are highly developed in Oz I think. They go incredibly well too like the snorting monster Vauxhall/Holden thingies.

For rich gung ho enthusiasts only I'm afraid. Terrific fun goes without saying.

Historic F1 at Brands Hatch - Old Navy
I used to use a friends 4.0 straight six Falcon when in Australia, care required to avoid wheelspin on dirt roads!

Rallyings craziest years - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fcncc

If you missed this the few tines it been round, you need to set your PVR for this one.

The pinnacle years of the mad WRC group b cars Quattro S'1s, RS200's, 6R4's, 205 Turbo 16 E2's, Delta S4's all in action

Rallyings craziest years - J Bonington Jagworth
Thanks, Zero - it will make a change from the boring stuff, although I think there's also some TT coverage on ITV4 tonight.
 F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 29 - ....
I think this is the first year of F1 where we have got passed Monaco and I couldn't even tell you who the runners and riders are.
Not interested. I might tune in for the last run of the season but I can't believe I've gone from a nipper who could tell you all there was to know about F1 to someone who really couldn't give a stuff. F1 could implode tomorrow and it really would not bother me.
Some may say what about the research? I don't recall Volvo running an F1 team, they appear to have done a pretty good job of safety without some young pilot slamming into a wall at 200MPH.
Toyota launched hybrids waaaaaay before they were de rigueur in F1.

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 29 - henry k
Renault could quit next year, says Red Bull boss Christian Horner

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33049962

Formula E - Moscow - Focusless
Off to Moscow this time for the next round of Formula E(lectric), live on ITV4 (freeview 24) from 1pm. I'll be watching just to see if the track is any worse than that patch of Berlin airport where they held the last round. Surely not,

Showing BRDC Formula 4 from Silverstone at the moment; actually quite good.

EDIT: (in small doses)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 6 Jun 15 at 12:55

Williams F1. - Roger.
Being a long time supporter of Frank's creation, I picked this up from "following" the team on Facebook.

Featuring the Canadian GP, with a podium finish :-)

www.williamsf1.com/racing/gallery

Williams F1. - Armel Coussine
Missed even the highlights of the race. However it seems to have been boring so I don't really mind.
 Williams F1. - Manatee
Vettel started down the back and finished 5th. Massa also started 15th and made it to 6th, Bottas was 3rd so Williams improved on its recent performances.

Other than that, it was fairly humdrum. The two Mercedes were effectively 1 & 2 throughout, but that is not novel.

There's a new feature aired just before the GP coverage - F! rewind, with a look at historic races, with Murray Walker. More interesting!

Austrian GP - henry k
Alonso 20 penalty points ?
Plus penalties for Button- to be decided

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33183855

Austrian GP - Armel Coussine
Quite an eventful race except at the very front. Mercedes dominance continues, and its customer engines seem to confer an advantage too.

I enjoyed all the dicing by these newer younger chaps in also-ran cars though. And was very pleased to see Felipe Massa on the podium because he's a proper Brazilian racing driver and I approve of Williams too. I think of him as an old warhorse but he's only about half my age probably. He had managed to stay in front of Raikkonen's Ferrari for much of the race.

Ferrari is always there at the leading edge of F1 and there's no need to worry about it.

I also liked Massa bringing his cute little sprog (and replica actually) into the pits when he was being interviewed.
 Austrian GP - Roger.
Yes, I'm really pleased to see Williams back in the hunt.

Austrian GP - stan10
".. He had managed to stay in front of Raikkonen's Ferrari for much of the race. .."

Not too difficult though, cuz Raikkonen didn't get past the second corner ?

Me too big Williams fan, and i can't help remembering when Massa was at death's door after his tragic accident a few years back.

(Do you remember that Frank Williams was renowned for rising at the crack of sparrows, and running round the [whichever] racetrack before breakfast ?) I tried it once, at Cadwell Park note ... that's "once" !

Winners both.

P.S. sorry about the tease, couldn't resist !!
Latest Forum Posts