Motoring Discussion > Turpin's alive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 63

Turpin's alive - Runfer D'Hills
Just totting up some receipts when I noticed one in particular from the M6 Toll. I use it a fair bit because it really does save time especially with the roadworks on the normal M6 right now.

Anyway, I must have gone through a toll booth ( I always auto pay by card, have you ever seen a quicker card reader !? ) in the wee small hours before dawn with my top box on. Didn't notice at the time but the receipt shows that I paid £8 something ! Normal night rate is £3 something.

A fiver extra to go through with a top box !

Robbing so and so's !

Edit- been through previously with the bikes up top ( therefore taller still ) but wasn't charged extra.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 3 Feb 15 at 16:31
 Turpin's alive - WillDeBeest
Perhaps there's a detector beam that can pass through the bikes.
Just checked their website, apparently the height of the top box re-categorised my car as a van.

How infra dig don't you think?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 3 Feb 15 at 16:50
 Turpin's alive - Dave_
>> Just checked their website, apparently the height of the top box re-categorised my car as a van.

When doing tip runs with the back seats down and the net bulkhead thing clipped into place, daughter calls our car the "really posh van".
 Turpin's alive - Zero
>> Just checked their website, apparently the height of the top box re-categorised my car as
>> a van.

Its a fixed price fine for being such a dirk and having a roof box on your hearse.
Perhaps I should randomly distribute McDs wrappers and back copies of the Daily Mirror on the top of the dash and hire a feral looking youth in a hooded garment to fall asleep in the passenger seat in future.

;-)
 Turpin's alive - Zero
>> Perhaps I should randomly distribute McDs wrappers and back copies of the Daily Mirror on
>> the top of the dash and hire a feral looking youth in a hooded garment
>> to fall asleep in the passenger seat in future.

More street cred than a roof box.
Just ever so slightly reluctant to take any advice on street credibility from a train spotter. Could be wrong of course...

;-)
 Turpin's alive - CGNorwich
Is it the bobble hat?
And the cargo pants.
 Turpin's alive - Zero
>> Just ever so slightly reluctant to take any advice on street credibility from a train
>> spotter. Could be wrong of course...

A roof box is de rigueur in the train spotter world, I'll save you a place on the platform next week
 Turpin's alive - WillDeBeest
A roof box is de rigueur in the train spotter world...

Just how many fish paste sandwiches can one man's mum make?
Somewhere for the spare duffel coats I suppose?
And the tartan Thermos flask.
 Turpin's alive - Zero
The note books, 50 years of train numbers takes up a lot of room.
 Turpin's alive - Zero
>> A roof box is de rigueur in the train spotter world...
>>
>> Just how many fish paste sandwiches can one man's mum make?

Fish paste sandwiches!!!! Hmmm love them

What happened to fish paste? (hate bloater tho)
 Turpin's alive - wokingham
www.princesgroup.com/brands/shippams/
 Turpin's alive - Crankcase

>>
>> What happened to fish paste? (hate bloater tho)
>>

No problems getting fish paste in Tesco or anywhere else I imagine. Crab paste often gets into my trolley. I use it for my Bacon Surprise.
 Turpin's alive - Zero
>>
>> >>
>> >> What happened to fish paste? (hate bloater tho)
>> >>
>>
>> No problems getting fish paste in Tesco or anywhere else I imagine. Crab paste often
>> gets into my trolley. I use it for my Bacon Surprise.

The surprise being its fish instead of bacon?
 Turpin's alive - Crankcase
>> The surprise being its fish instead of bacon?

No no, it's bacon. After the first mouthful though there are cries of "What the..." and "My word..."

But it's like learning a magic trick. You spend weeks learning how to make the Ace of Spades appear out of someone's ear, and then you get all excited, and you show it to everyone you know. Once.

Allegedly, of course.

Turpin's alive - Bromptonaut
Have a look at the pricing list. It's not obvious that a roof box is extra. What counts is vehicle's height at first axle.

www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/vehicle-classification/
I could drive the Westfield under the toll barriers on French motorways. Not that I ever did of course...
 Turpin's alive - TheManWithNoName
A friend sold his Westie to a guy who was going to take it to France. Wasn't maroon was it?
No, bright red. Long time ago too. Sold it in 2002.
 Turpin's alive - legacylad
My Westies were always white. Come buy.
 Turpin's alive - Boxsterboy
>> Have a look at the pricing list. It's not obvious that a roof box is
>> extra. What counts is vehicle's height at first axle.
>>
>> www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/vehicle-classification/
>>

Worth a complaint to the operators, in my book anyway.
>> Worth a complaint to the operators, in my book anyway.

I though that too. OTOH if it's just a business expense Humph may feel game not worth candle.
 Turpin's alive - Duncan
>> A fiver extra to go through with a top box !
>>
>> Robbing so and so's !

It's your own fault for going around with a top box on.
 Turpin's alive - Zero
>> >> A fiver extra to go through with a top box !
>> >>
>> >> Robbing so and so's !
>>
>> It's your own fault for going around with a top box on.

cost him more than an extra fiver in Fuel to get to the M6 as well.
 Turpin's alive - Duncan
>> >> >> A fiver extra to go through with a top box !
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Robbing so and so's !
>> >>
>> >> It's your own fault for going around with a top box on.
>>
>> cost him more than an extra fiver in Fuel to get to the M6 as
>> well.
>>

Yes, I think it's what they call a loose, loose situation.

;-0
 Turpin's alive - Bill Payer
>> Just totting up some receipts when I noticed one in particular from the M6 Toll.
>> I use it a fair bit because it really does save time especially with the
>> roadworks on the normal M6 right now.
>>
I normally avoid it apart from the morning rush-hours as paying the toll irks me. I wonder what the time difference is when the other roads are clear as the toll is a longer route (plus you have to stop, of course)?

>> Anyway, I must have gone through a toll booth ( I always auto pay by
>> card, have you ever seen a quicker card reader !? )

The toll is the only place I've used a contactless readers and they work almost instantly. I did notice one of my cards says you have to put a pin in first time - not sure how they'd deal with that.
 Turpin's alive - Dave_
>> I wonder what the time difference is when the other roads are clear as the toll is a longer route

As a regular user of the Brum stretch of the M6, it's a long time since I've been through there without the overhead signs showing 60 or 50. Even on a journey without any queues there can't be a lot in it time-wise.
>> As a regular user of the Brum stretch of the M6, it's a long time
>> since I've been through there without the overhead signs showing 60 or 50. Even on
>> a journey without any queues there can't be a lot in it time-wise.

As my 1.9IDI Berlingo gets noisy and starts to guzzle diesel above 3k rpm I tend to cruise at 65ish which is about 2750rpm. Cannot remember when I was last badly delayed in the Brum stretch. No speed gain on toll road and it's longer too.

South Staffs, J11 on, is more of a problem IME. Use the Brum section if going to N Wales and M1/A50 for Stoke and points north.
It's a crying shame that the toll road isn't used more - last I read it was still only running at half the numbers that were originally projected.

I came through there one morning recently heading home north after an overnight stay down south, and the queues towards B'ham were immense. I thought maybe the toll road was closed, but it wasn't.
Well, feeling ever so slightly admonished for using it, this morning I went south on the normal M6 instead. I was at Cannock ( where it splits ) J10 I think at 06.45. It took me nearly an hour to get down past the M5 spur. Traffic was chaotic. I'll stick to the Toll road in future.

Sat next to a new X3 in the jam. Decided I quite liked it. Never really looked all that hard at one before. Always dismissed them as a bit of a mummy truck or X5 wannabe but it seems better proportioned than the old one. This one was white though so probably an estate agent or worse. Sunglasses on top of his bald head while it was still dark sort of cove. You know the sort. Slappable type.

;-)
 Turpin's alive - Avant
I always used the toll coming north-west from Berkshire (whether admonished or not....), but now we're in Dorset I can't see much alternative to M5/M6 if we drive to the north-west or to Scotland. Is there one?

There seems to be much more traffic on the roads before 7 am than there used to be. There were always those who had long distances to go, like you Runfer - but are people just keener to get to work or what? Glad to be semi-retired, with what work I do being mainly at home!

Last edited by: Avant on Wed 4 Feb 15 at 18:56
You can do M5, M42, M6 toll, M6 but it's a heck of a long way round. I only do that if Sally Traffic or one of her cohorts says the M5/M6 merge is stymied.

Someone clever, or maybe not, said recently quite convincingly anyway, that huge percentages of motorway journeys are for just one or two junctions by local people hopping on and off. That sort of anti-social behaviour should probably be subject to the death penalty or at least severe and permanently maiming torture.
 Turpin's alive - Armel Coussine
Even back in the day I preferred driving long motorway distances overnight in the small hours. Fewer mimsers and so on. I can live with lorries anyway on a 3-lane.

I'm not such an eager beaver as I once was, and have more time and more sense these days. One just has to live with the huge traffic volumes and pathetically-driven silly little winegum cars. But it comes hard, Gaffer; cruel hard...
>> There seems to be much more traffic on the roads before 7 am than there
>> used to be. There were always those who had long distances to go, like you
>> Runfer - but are people just keener to get to work or what?

I've commented on this before, but the thing I find odd is how busy many motorways stay all day - get on the M6 from the NW to B'ham mid-morning and it's moving, but it's pretty full of vehicles.

What the heck are they all doing? It's too late for work, it's not an obvious shopping route. They can't all be reps and others on the way to meetings.
>> Well, feeling ever so slightly admonished for using it, this morning I went south on
>> the normal M6 instead. I was at Cannock ( where it splits ) J10 I
>> think at 06.45. It took me nearly an hour to get down past the M5
>> spur. Traffic was chaotic. I'll stick to the Toll road in future.
>>

At that time I would always use the Toll. :) In fact I did it last week at about that time and the lines at the toll booth were 5 or 6 cars long - can't recall seeing more than 1 or 2 before.

Doesn't your car's sat nav show the traffic? Mine has little red cars where it's all stopped.

I believe current X3 is pretty identical in size to the original X5.

Yes indeed my sat nav shows the traffic but I thought I'd defy it.

:-(
>> Yes indeed my sat nav shows the traffic but I thought I'd defy it.
>>

I wouldn't dare defy Claudia, the fierce German lady who lives in my sat nav.
 Turpin's alive - Auntie Lockbrakes
Having had 2 X3's: a 2006 model (stonker) and the new 2011 model (bloated bag of nails) I'd be very wary of buying an X3 Humph. Just replacing ours with a new Mitsubishi...
Oh ok, wasn't really all that up for it. "She" sort of fancied one as a replacement for her QQ but not on any urgent timescale.
Wot 'she' needs is a cared for 10yo 330 soft top. Will throw in the nice trailer and leave on the Michelin Alpin tyres. Not that ewe need them. We are not all driving Gods.
Sorry about the £100 recent price increase. I forgot to press submit on my SA and was fined accordingly. No rush, might have to wait 14 weeks for my new wheels.
 Turpin's alive - Avant
"Someone clever, or maybe not, said recently quite convincingly anyway, that huge percentages of motorway journeys are for just one or two junctions by local people hopping on and off."

That is so true, particularly on the M25, and is surely a major cause of congestion. Some of these jokers could probably reduce their journey times if they planned a route avoiding the motorway (indeed the one that people used before the M25 was built).
What's a motorway ? Ah yes, I remember now. It's something I cross when I drive up to the Lakes for a days walking. That M6 near Kendal seems really busy. Vehicles every few hundred yards.
Dodged an M6 bullet today - I was asked to go to a meeting down south but said no. I'd have been completely stuffed by the closure this morning.
>> Dodged an M6 bullet today - I was asked to go to a meeting down
>> south but said no. I'd have been completely stuffed by the closure this morning.

Not an easy one to avoid. Heard it mentioned on 5 live and thought how would I avoid it if doing a Liverpool Uni trip. There were no easy answers.
>> Not an easy one to avoid. Heard it mentioned on 5 live and thought how
>> would I avoid it if doing a Liverpool Uni trip. There were no easy answers.
>>
I'm near Chester so my normal early morning route to the M6 is via the A51 towards Nantwich and then on at J16. But J16 is screwed up due to long-term roadworks so I've been heading to Middlewich and on at J18 - so I'd have joined where the queue starts.

If, by chance, I'd have been aware of it in advance then I could easily just go my old route but stay on the A51 through Stone and onto the M16 at J14. I quite often end up doing that in reverse if the M6 is screwed up coming home.

From Liverpool you could head for the A49 towards Tarporley and then join the A51 (it becomes the same road for a brief stretch). The snag is that for an event like this morning's one, a lot of truck drivers do the same thing.

ETA: I just looked and the A49 is showing long delays.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 12:22
I saw that jam this morning. I joined the M6 at J16 but fortunately was heading north today. Looked horrific. Even so, it took me nearly 2 hours to do 60 miles due to somethingorother happening on the M62 round about Birch.

Turpin's alive - NortonES2
Yes, it's bedlam up there! www.flickr.com/photos/malahide/16262571979/
 Turpin's alive - MD
Beautiful view, stunning. Where is that?
Cumbria, Tebay-ish at a guess.
 Turpin's alive - T junction
Yes. Just south of Tebay. I know that road well!
 Turpin's alive - MD
That is some view.
Would be a lot nicer of course without the motorway.
 Turpin's alive - Ted
It's a northbound view..Tebay is the village. We often use this stretch to visit our friends in Appleby. The WCML hugs the M6 to the right.

This stretch was where the four unfortunate Carillion Rail guys were killed by a runaway wagon 11 years ago during an engineering possession.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3489873.stm
 Turpin's alive - Old Navy
Cruise control territory, the test is to get from Carlisle to the outskirts of Glasgow (or southbound equivalent) without dropping off CC.
Ted has it. Taken from Grayrigg Forest (I think - map OS 91 is missing.)
One of those places where when the weather is calm and the traffic light that the 70 mph limit seems painfully low but is nonetheless vigorously enforced. Presumably because there isn't much else going on to occupy the forces of the law. Ironic perhaps. Best not to over think it I suppose.
Was pretty well unenforced when I had the need to venture up to the Eden valley and Solway Firth. Although I kept it to bursts of speed and looked out for lurkers in spots convenient to junctions. Which I suppose is a good place to monitor, given the propensity of accidents to occur in the vicinity. The A6 in that area was a lot more fun though: rolling, winding and camera free. Penrith to Kendal when the road was virtually empty....
 Turpin's alive - Pat
Before the days of satnav I tipped at a farm somewhere around there and asked the farmer if that road was a good route for an artic back to the M6.

Yeah, 'nowt wrong with that Lass, he said.

It was .......challenging!

....and car drivers moan at us for using roads like that too.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 6 Feb 15 at 12:21
 Turpin's alive - Ted

We regularly use the A6 if we're not in a hurry. Come off the M6 for Milnthorpe where there was a good cafe at Bob Parrott's outdoor shop. The cafe's gone now but we tracked down the girls to Arnside so we divert there now for lunch. Back on the A6, Kendal can be a bit of a bummer but after that the road to Shap is delightful motoring.

We turn right at the chippy in Shap and our friends are 8 miles over the hills from there in the Lyvennet Valley. Lovely run on a nice bright day.
Latest Forum Posts