Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - legacylad
Today I went for a closer inspection of my shortlist of cars to replace Herman. At the BMW palace I stated that I was not interested in a diesel due to the fact I anticipated keeping my next vehicle six+ years, like my current car. And did not want any DPF problems once out of warranty, given my low annual mileage, and infrequent short trips ( anything less than 2 miles I try to walk). Not a problem I was assured. Any diesel newer than 18 months old Is just fine! A new DPF will be required at 120k miles, but that won't affect me.
I'm certainly not convinced, and getting that in writing may be problematic.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - swiss tony
Did a salesman tell you that?
Ask at the service desk.
Surprisingly, he offered to let me speak to a 'technician'. I declined, because a friend of mine who works for a respected independent is an ex BMW technician, he services Herman each year, so should I pursue the matter he would be the first point of contact. And I know his answer. Keep Herman, I've looked after him all these years and now you want to be unfaithful!
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - MD
And of course that 6k was optimistic...:-0)
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - Old Navy
I was initially a bit concerned about buying a DPF fitted car. I am now on my second one and have had no indication that one has been fitted to either car. My car is used for local pottering about but gets a good hot run at least twice a week and most of our driving is done in low traffic conditions. I realise that DPFs have a finite life but I will not keep the cars for that long. I think that DPF problems are caused by maximum economy mimsing drivers who have little mechanical knowledge.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - IJWS14
I think that DPF problems are caused by maximum economy
>> mimsing drivers who have little mechanical knowledge.
>>

As a maximum economy mimsing driver for the last year or so it doesn't affect DPFs. I have not had any sign from my car that it has one.

That it has few runs of less than 10 miles and most are over 20 might be the factor.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - WillDeBeest
Define your terms, IJWS. What have you been up to?
If, and it's a very big if, I buy a car from a dealer, I certainly will not p/ex. It will be advertised locally, and if not sold after a month, put on AT or Gumtree. Out of 40+ cars I have owned, only 3 have been bought from dealers, two of which were a 4/4 and Mk1 Elise with long waiting lists. The third a Mk 1 Polo, my next door neighbour being a VW salesman and good friend so I got a great deal on RWX 566R & my father a Passat estate RWX 567R.
And I actually enjoy selling privately
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - No FM2R
>>And I actually enjoy selling privately

I envy you, I hate it. I often end up disposing of a car knowing I could have got more selling it privately but just wanted to avoid the experience.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - sooty123
I've bought mainly from a dealer and only once sold a car privately, too much of a faff to sell it so I just p/ex it.
It must be the retailer in me. I have always enjoyed buying & selling, indeed when I was a nipper, living at a busy sub post office, some of my first words were ' come buy''. I suspect it was a joke my father played in lieu of not having a parrot.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - Runfer D'Hills
Did you find that a lot of sheep dogs came in?
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - Armel Coussine
And a lot of glamour-free religiosos singing 'come buy ah' in picturesque northern accents?
Update: after much sniffing around various forums, I think the diesel option is a non starter. As I shall be keeping my next car for several years I think it judicious to eliminate any potential DPF problems, no matter what I am told by the selling agent. This was confirmed by my mechanic pal. I have been mildly surprised by a Drive the Deal price. I can get the exact spec I would like, wait a couple of months for delivery, maybe sell Herman a little easier in Spring, and it would be my 4th new car out of 40+. Not the second hand bargain I normally get, but maybe it's time to treat myself once I get access to my pension funds this year ( yes I know it will blow most of it and I have tax to pay when it is withdrawn but life's too short).
>>( yes I know it will blow most of it and I have tax to pay when it is withdrawn but life's too short).
>>

Good plan if you have an alternative income to fund food and a roof after you retire.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - Zero
>> >>( yes I know it will blow most of it and I have tax to
>> pay when it is withdrawn but life's too short).
>> >>
>>
>> Good plan if you have an alternative income to fund food and a roof after
>> you retire.

Well now we have been told that half of us will get cancer, who cares.
I have had cancer and am still here.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 4 Feb 15 at 18:15
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - DPFs. No more worries. Allegedly - Armel Coussine
>> Well now we have been told that half of us will get cancer, who cares.

The other half who won't get it?

Something has to take us out eventually. The reason cancers take so many these days is that they have survived infant mortality and the infectious diseases that used to be the Reaper's best friends. If you're lucky and fit enough to become old, you just have to hope that the one that gets you isn't too painful and horrible.
Well done ON, and I mean that most sincerely. Despite two ex ex's, the mortgage is finally paid off and I have no card debt. To my way of thinking, drawing out ALL my private pension pot, and paying 20% tax on it, leaves enough for a shiny new car about £20ks worth, plus Herman @ £6k ish. I reckon I have enough other savings to last me two or three years, till my very early 60s, and then my master stroke. Downsize and release tax free capital. That should keep me going till I'm 70 with help from the State Pension. After that who knows, and I don't really care.
Latest Forum Posts