Motoring Discussion > elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 53

elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Zero
recombu.com/cars/article/elderly-couple-trapped-in-unlocked-car-for-13-hours
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Cliff Pope
Elderly? 65 ?

elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - BiggerBadderDave
Two people hitching a caravan...

Shoot the picture researcher.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - CGNorwich
"The story is eerily reminiscent of that involving a 67-year-old woman who blindly followed her sat-nav for 900 miles through six countries after entering the wrong destination."

No it isn't - it's totally different.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - R.P.
Is it satire ?
>> Is it satire ?

No it was a Mazda 3
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - henry k
>>Two people hitching a caravan... shoot the picture researcher.

No stock photo of a Mazda in a domestic garage in the dark ? :-)

arstechnica.com/cars/2014/12/new-zealand-couple-manages-to-lock-themselves-in-keyless-car-for-13-hours/

.....the door doesn’t automatically unlock when the interior handle is pulled

the vehicle was parked in their garage and that it was apparently too dark to clearly see the interior switches, led to the nearly fatal overnight stay.the vehicle was parked in their garage and that it was apparently too dark to clearly see the interior switches, led to the nearly fatal overnight stay.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Mike H
I remember looking at a Toyota Avensis back in the mid 90s when I was looking for a company car (went for a Mondeo in the end). I got in the back and couldn't get out, as the salesman and every other employee of the dealership seemed to have disappeared and I had to climb over to the front. Presumably the childproof locks had been set, although IIRC getting out of the front doors was also a problem.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - WillDeBeest
Two people hitching a caravan...
...to a Vauxhall.

I suppose on a general theme of car-related idiocy, it works.
};---)

Haven't been in a Mazda for years but what happens when you're inside and you just pull the door release handle? That, in either of my cars, opens the door unless it's been deadlocked with the remote - and we don't think that had happened here, do we?

Remember that this happened in New Zealand, so when the old boy says, "I kicked myself," we don't know whether he was annoyed or alarmed.
"Mollieanne Smith was unconscious and her husband Brian was having difficulty breathing"

Seems he was fudging her brains out.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - madf
I carry a torch in my car so I can find my way out.. Never needed it..

Perhaps a bottle of gin for when I cannot get out due to senile whatitsname?
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - wokingham
Over 65 means drawing State Retirement pension means elderly.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Shiny
So, how do you get out of a MAZDA3 when the keyfob is outside?
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - rtj70
>> So, how do you get out of a MAZDA3 when the keyfob is outside?

Like any car, if it's not locked pull the door handle.
If locked but not deadlocked, then use the door lock and move to open position and then use the deadlock.
If deadlocked, you cannot open the doors.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Bill Payer
I'd be amazed if you can't just pull the door handle.

The guy said he was convinced he couldn't get out without the fob so probably didn't try.

Reminds me of a colleague driving a woman across Manchester and back again to get her spare key as the one she had wouldn't unlock the car door. Turned out it was already unlocked.
>> Haven't been in a Mazda for years but what happens when you're inside and you just pull the door release handle?

In the Mazda6 I tried last year, if it was locked (but not deadlocked) if you pulled the handle it will not open. You have to push the door lock to the open position and then you can unlock it with the door handle.

I've not idea what they did to lock the car with the key fob outside but if they had it set the car to auto lock when you walk away then it locks but does not deadlock. Only way to deadlock is to press the lock button on the key fob twice in succession.
>> In the Mazda6 I tried last year, if it was locked (but not deadlocked) if
>> you pulled the handle it will not open. You have to push the door lock
>> to the open position and then you can unlock it with the door handle.
>>

Fair enough - I've never been in a car that does that, even the cars we have with auto-locking just open when you pull the handle.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - TheManWithNoName
Pair of nuckfuggets. They don't deserve a new car.
He couldn't have put much effort in if he was unable to break the window with a jack!
Don't people play with their new cars these days to see how everything works. They should have spent half an hour breathing in that new car smell and playing with all the knobs and buttons.
;-)
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Old Navy
On my Ceed if the doors were deadlocked you could still open them from the inside by pulling the the interior handle twice. There was no lock control button on the inside of the doors. I am surprised that a window could not be smashed with the jack.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 2 Feb 15 at 13:14
>> Fair enough - I've never been in a car that does that

I had the first generation Mazda6 too. That was the same. No auto-lock either. I liked all doors locked when driving so I'd manually lock it with the door locker. Then when I stopped I'd have to unlock it. Much prefer the VAG locks.

>> On my Ceed if the doors were deadlocked you could still open them from the inside by pulling
>> the the interior handle twice

I thought the whole point of deadlocks was to stop the door handles working to prevent a break-in by smashing a window to then open a door.
On my Ceed if the doors were deadlocked you could still open them from the inside

Not deadlocked then. Whole point of deadlocking is to prevent the door beng opened from the inside by smashing a window.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - No FM2R
Even if simply locked, none of my cars will unlock using the internal handle. It is necessary to use the key fob or press the unlock button.

If deadlocked, the one that has deadlocks, then there is no way of opening the door without the keys.
>> Even if simply locked, none of my cars will unlock using the internal handle. It
>> is necessary to use the key fob or press the unlock button.
>>

Which cars have you got?

I can't recall being in a car that does that - we have 4 different makes of car in the household and I'm sure all will open from the handle, albeit sometimes once to unlock and a second time to open.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 2 Feb 15 at 19:29
>>Which cars have you got?

At the moment, two Landcruisers, a Dodge Ram, a Nissan pickup, a Daihatsu something or other and some kind of little Japanese hatchback thingy.
>> we have 4 different makes of car in the household and I'm sure all will open from the handle

I had a Mazda6 for 4 years. I can tell you that if locked (not deadlocked) it would not open if you pulled the door handle alone. Didn't matter how many times. You had to move the lock to open.

Same for the new Mazda6 I test drove in 2014 with keyless entry.

Why won't people believe me how Mazda locking works?

How locking worked and poor quality switch gear were two reasons I ruled out the Mazda6 last year. Nice looking car let down by the details.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 2 Feb 15 at 22:40
>> Why won't people believe me how Mazda locking works?
>>
I believe you!

I wonder if they have a reason why they chose to operate differently to the norm?

Mercedes are often criticised in security tests for not fitting deadlocks, but they say they could potentially hamper rescue from the car.
>>I wonder if they have a reason why they chose to operate differently to the norm?

I don't think it is. I cannot for the life of me remember what previous cars did, but the cars I have currently all function the way that rtj said Mazdas do.
Something to do with European / non-European design? I've had only European cars - including the Toyota, which was designed in Germany and built in Turkey - and they've all opened as BP describes. Mazda's models (if my experience long ago of driving rented 323s in the UK and Protégés in the US is still valid) are more uniform across the world than those of Toyota, Nissan or Honda, so if there is a Japanese design norm for door locks, they're more likely to conform to it.
If the doors are locked on mine, the inside handle opens them.
> I had a Mazda6 for 4 years. I can tell you that if locked (not deadlocked) it would not open if you pulled the door handle alone. Didn't matter how many times. You had to move the lock to open.
>>
>> Same for the new Mazda6 I test drove in 2014 with keyless entry.
>>
>> Why won't people believe me how Mazda locking works?
>>
As I posted
arstechnica.com/cars/2014/12/new-zealand-couple-manages-to-lock-themselves-in-keyless-car-for-13-hours/

" However, the door doesn’t automatically unlock when the interior handle is pulled"
Last edited by: henry k on Tue 3 Feb 15 at 09:19
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - IJWS14
>> On my Ceed if the doors were deadlocked you could still open them from the
>> inside by pulling the the interior handle twice. There was no lock control button on
>> the inside of the doors. I am surprised that a window could not be smashed
>> with the jack.
>>

Not really deadlocks then

>> Not really deadlocks then
>>

That's whwhat KIA calls them, you get a double clunk when you press the lock button on the key and you need to turn the key in the door lock twice to activate them.

Does it really matter? Who is going to steal a KIA, and kia owners can't afford anything worth stealing from inside the car. :)
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - movilogo
>> Not really deadlocks then

It is deadlock. If engine is switched off, one can use the remote key fob (while being inside the car) to lock the doors which can't be opened from inside at all (unless you disarm it using keyfob again).

However, deadlock is disarmed if engine is turned on.

I read that Mercedes refused to introduce deadlock in their cars citing safety reason.
>> Don't people play with their new cars these days to see how everything works.
>> They should have spent half an hour ......... playing with all the knobs and buttons.
>> ;-)
>>
I note the smiley.
A few years ago I hired a car in the USA.. No user manual which seems the norm over there.
Fuel flap release ? Obvious , its in the glove compartment.
Interior light switch ? Obvious, it just a case of brightening up the instrument lights and then it will come on.

Hired a hateful Auris " automatic" Needed to slot it into some odd gear when parking
Not normal for a lazy auto driver.

progress?
So we have determined that if the doors were locked (but not deadlocked) then pulling the handle would not open it. I'm just not sure how they locked it without the key fob. Yes it might have been set to auto lock as the key fob was moved away but they were both in the car.

Presumably if locked, the alarm would have armed itself and their movement will have set it off and alerted someone near by.

There was probably an emergency boot release for the car too - not all have this but it's a requirement in America where no doubt Mazda3's are sold.

The other thing we learn is the Mazda3 is pretty air tight because they must have been suffering from lack of oxygen and high carbon monoxide levels.
Carbon dioxide, unless the engine was running.
www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/327080/couple-close-death-after-night-stuck-keyless-car

Lot more detail and a proper photo in the original article
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 2 Feb 15 at 14:27
He sounds like an enterprising chap. The article said that he tried to smash the window with the car jack. I don't know where in the car the jack is stored, but retrieval must have been tricky.
Probably he had to get out, open the boot and get back in... :-@
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Cliff Pope
Why couldn't they open a window?
Electric probably missed the timed period that would have allowed them to do so after the ignition was disconnected...
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - movilogo
In my Kia, one needs to pull the inside handle twice to unlock a door.

Whoever riding my car for the first time, tries only once (expecting the door to open) and then when it doesn't complains that I haven't unlocked the door.

I then politely tell them they need to pull the handle twice which opens the door.

However, pulling of handle twice needs to be done in quick succession. If there is a long interval then the door won't open.

Intuitive? No I don't think so.
You could use the lock / unlock button if the doors have auto locked after moving off. With the Ceed And ix35 it always annoyed Mrs ON if I screeched to a standstill to pick her up and she found the door locked.
>> In my Kia, one needs to pull the inside handle twice to unlock a door.

Locks on the Golf (1999) and Passat (2000) were like that. Once would lift the button (so unlocks the door). Second time would open it. If deadlocked, the handle would do nothing and you could feel resistance.
I would have expected a door lock to unlock via the interior door handle to be Type Approval thing as emergency egres for instance where the car's electrics have failed....(think dunking in a lake etc) when mere buttons won't work. All the recent cars I've owned do this including the Fiat truck I drive.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Harleyman
Simple solution; RTFM.

I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who have no idea of what half the switches in their cars actually do, or what the idiot lights on their dashboards actually signify.
X lots. I blame gadget freaks, they can't read from a book, but why don't they read the online manual?

My last three cars have had an emergency internal rear hatch release under a small cover in the hatch trim.
>> I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who have no idea of what half
>> the switches in their cars actually do, or what the idiot lights on their dashboards
>> actually signify.
>>
My daughter was here the other day and the car was frosty when leaving. Told her to put the heated mirrors on and she had no idea it had them. She's had the car for 4 years.
"My daughter... ...had no idea"

It was my son who tried to teach me how to use the Lexus satnav. I'm the one who frantically jabs at the screen getting more and more frustrated, he's the one who slaps my hand and sorts it out. He's 10. Anyway, I've got my TomTom - it doesn't get any simpler than that.

About a year ago I bought a new phone. I've got it here in front of me but I've no idea what it is, I can't seem to find a model or logo. I think it was Samsung. I bought it because it's 14 cm tall with a big screen, so I don't have to whip out my ocular apparatus when it rings. That was my first, one and only priority. A couple of weeks ago my daughter (she's 12) showed me it has internet and ways of texting her for free. I can now look at my Facebook page (twice a year usually) and she's loaded a game - solitaire - so I can play cards while they're in the supermarket. I'm using probably 2 or 3% of what the phone is capable of doing. There is no manual to read and I'm not interested anyway. I spend my life using a Mac, earning money, staying away from hi-tech phones is my relaxing 'down time'. Similarly with the Lexus. I know what all the buttons do, but all the millions of menus on the screen - I'm simply not fudging interested.
>> I spend my life using a Mac,

Getting very off topic now but surely you'd have found an iPhone more familiar?

Mind you, work sent me an iPhone6 several months ago and it's still sealed in its box - my Blackberry does all I need.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Runfer D'Hills
Just a word to the wise Dave, if you ever get an iPhone, don't, under any circumstances, start mucking about with it, not really understanding what it does and inadvertently call someone using the FaceTime option while sitting on the khazi. I speak with shamefaced experience on this.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Armel Coussine
>> I speak with shamefaced experience on this.

Shamefaced indeed! Pathetic!

Take a leaf out of Cap'n Bob's book (Private Eye, a long time passim.). Not a man to go sailing with if your sensibilities were delicate, the organ claimed.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 21:17
>> Just a word to the wise Dave, if you ever get an iPhone, don't, under
>> any circumstances, start mucking about with it, not really understanding what it does and inadvertently
>> call someone using the FaceTime option while sitting on the khazi. I speak with shamefaced
>> experience on this.

If your wife has an iPhone, move to an android phone I say. Not possible to accidentally FaceTime.
 elderly couple trapped in unlocked car for 13 hour - Runfer D'Hills
While that may well be sound counsel, sadly, I have almost no remaining vices so such precautions would be largely unnecessary I'm afraid.
Latest Forum Posts