Motoring Discussion > Bumping to Park Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 23

Bumping to Park - zippy
Listening to the Jeremy Vine show today, they had a piece on about this woman who says she deliberately bumps cars to park if the space is tight.

Another caller says he leaves his towing eye in place to deter such antics.

Both are twits. The first is potentially causing criminal damage without caring about it.

The second could take someones leg out in an accident that may not have been injured without the hook in place.

Selfish twits everywhere!
 Bumping to Park - Armel Coussine
Nudging cars is standard practice, or used to be, in the US. Handbrakes are easy to overcome, but with an auto in transmission-lock setting it may take a bumper-bending shove. Always made me giggle, the rear wheels scraping down the road and aluminium trim falling off all over the place.

Of course if you try it in London some idiot is sure to come up and challenge you to a fight. I mean honestly, these people... Best to do it quickly and violently then have it away sharpish on yer toes...

:o}

Bumping to Park - Tigger
When we lived in Kenya, it was normal to park in the carparks with the car in neutral and handbrake off so that others could move your car back or forward a foot or so to be able to ease other cars in or out.

Actually worked reasonably well.
 Bumping to Park - swiss tony
>> When we lived in Kenya, it was normal to park in the carparks with the car in neutral and handbrake off so that others could move your car back or forward a foot or so to be able to ease other cars in or out.

Not a good idea in the Chilterns.....
 Bumping to Park - Mike Hannon
I live in France. Nudge parking is a way of life, urban or rural. My car has no protection at all for its plastic rear bodywork. My (demountable) towbar is staying firmly attached. The front end I have to trust to luck.
 Bumping to Park - Westpig
It is incredibly selfish for someone who doesn't care about their car or are so incompetent that they have no real other option than to not care... for them mistreat something that belongs to someone else who does care.

Now each to their own and all that... but if I look after my cars I don't expect some moron to come along and drive into them.

They can do what they like to their own stuff.
 Bumping to Park - Westpig
.... and here's a perfect arrogant example

tinyurl.com/l2rd4b8

...and another one

tinyurl.com/lhotcb4
Last edited by: Westpig on Sun 1 Feb 15 at 12:14
>> .... and here's a perfect arrogant example

>> ...and another one

Er... neither of those was deliberate 'bumping to park' Wp. They were both inadvertent 'parking nerfs'.

One doesn't know how trivial they were, but some people make an almost unbelievable fuss about nothing. I once touched (as one often does in tight London spaces) the rear 'bumper' or ornamental plastic fairing of the car in front with my front bumper. The owner was nearby, came up and started peering at his bumper angrily. I went to examine the damage with him. Where my bumper had touched his there was a tiny mark where some dust and mud had been disturbed - no dent, scrape or any other actual damage to the plastic bib thing. But the owner was pointing to a scrape of white paint in another place on his bumper. I asked him what colour my car was and whether there was any white paint on it at all, and what part of my bumper he imagined could have made that white mark. He went off muttering.

What a screaming prat. They're everywhere.
 Bumping to Park - Duncan
>> .... and here's a perfect arrogant example...
>> ...and another one...

You would never see Tory politicians doing that sort of thing, now would you?
>> You would never see Tory politicians doing that sort of thing, now would you?

Certainly not. They'd be going at a brisk clip because of their, er, sense of entitlement and that, and would have proper crashes for which they would pay with a leather bag of gold on the spot. Class, see? Give the screaming prats something to scream about. Cheap at the price.
 Bumping to Park - Zero
>> >> .... and here's a perfect arrogant example...
>> >> ...and another one...
>>
>> You would never see Tory politicians doing that sort of thing, now would you?

No, one would simply sack the chauffeur if that happened.
 Bumping to Park - Bromptonaut
>> No, one would simply sack the chauffeur if that happened.

Or claim one's Secretary was driving......
 Bumping to Park - CGNorwich
That's a very Anglo Saxon viewpoint. Parisians don't think a few scuffs and dents constitutes "damage" and a gentle shove is perfectly acceptable so secure a parking place.
 Bumping to Park - zippy
A 10 mph shunt rippled the boot floor of my then new 2001 Toyota Avensis so in some instances I expect these parking shunts could /do cause hidden damage.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 1 Feb 15 at 12:59
 Bumping to Park - Zero
10mph is an accident/collision not a parking bump.

Bumping to Park - Duncan
>> 10mph is an accident/collision not a parking bump.

Listen to the expert, Zero knows all about collisions.............
 Bumping to Park - Zero
>> >> 10mph is an accident/collision not a parking bump.
>>
>> Listen to the expert, Zero knows all about collisions.............

Dave the mod is now 2-1 up on me, go speak to him.
>> Parisians don't think a few scuffs and dents constitutes "damage"

In tight traffic in the place de la République in Paris years ago, the scuffed offside front wing of my VW 411 came into brief, harmless contact with the scuffed l/h front wing of a black CX saloon.

I looked at the CX driver out of the corner of my eye to see if he had noticed. He looked back and gave a charming shrug. No one gave it a second thought. Cool in some ways, them Frogs.
 Bumping to Park - Runfer D'Hills
Back then, if it was any time after 11.00 in the morning he was probably half cut anyway.
 Bumping to Park - Roger.
>> I live in France. Nudge parking is a way of life, urban or rural.

Same in Spain.
 Bumping to Park - bathtub tom
Many years ago I was blocked in. I went to the local shops, sat there blowing my horn, all to no avail.

So I resorted to to 'bumping' the offending car with my ancient 100E Pop. Remarkable how quickly the "lady" owner turned up!

No (visible) damage to my rusty, chrome bumpers!
 Bumping to Park - Zero
>> Many years ago I was blocked in. I went to the local shops, sat there
>> blowing my horn, all to no avail.
>>
>> So I resorted to to 'bumping' the offending car with my ancient 100E Pop. Remarkable
>> how quickly the "lady" owner turned up!

And here we have the film of that incident.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVF08T8hfI
 Bumping to Park - Ted

HeHe...Don't mix it with a Lada Riva. Still got metal bumpers !
 Bumping to Park - TheManWithNoName
On a day trip to France many years ago a group of us were waiting to cross a road. Numerous cars were parked and we were stood in between some when a woman drove into a gap to park. I don't think she actually used her brakes - the car stopped when it hit the rear of another - she stalled, got out, locked it and walked away as if nothing had happened.
However the car she hit was nudged towards us as we waited to cross. If she'd driven any faster we'd have been a Renault and Rosbif sandwich.
Latest Forum Posts