Motoring Discussion > DVLA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 9

DVLA - No FM2R

What a bloomin' marvelous service!

My wallet was stolen the other day.

So I logged onto the DVLA website to get a duplicate license which I assumed was going to be a long and tiresome process involving completing various large forms and utilising the dodgy postal services here.

Turns out that because my license would expire so soon I couldn't have a replacement and would have to renew it for 10 years. Fair enough. Then because my picture was so old, it couldn't be renewed on that picture, would I like them to use my passport picture instead? Fair enough. Then I could print out my license details in case I needed it until the real thing showed up.

10 minutes or so and about £14.

Arrived at my UK address within 4 days, although they say up to 2 weeks and has just this minute turned up in my hands.

I have Chilean, Brasilian and US licenses also, and none of those can compete in service levels, or even get close.

Well done DVLA, dead impressed.

DVLA - rtj70
I've said on here before I was impressed with the various departments when I had a tour over 10 years ago. Very efficient. Probably even more efficient today.
 DVLA - WillDeBeest
Bad luck with the wallet, NoFM - especially after you took the trouble to warn me to look after mine.
 DVLA - No FM2R
My own stupid fault. I got pulled by the police and had to show my license without getting out of the car. I had to get my licence out of my back jeans pocket and simply couldn't be a***d to put it back in.

Then about 15 minutes later I heard a noise from the front passenger side tyre, stopped and walked around to it, looked and walked back - 30 seconds? In that time a little git got in the car, across to the passenger side of the car, grabbed my wallet off the floor and fled.

It had my 4 driving licenses, my Chilean and Brazilian ID cards, ATM cards from three countries/accounts, a couple of membership cards and my US and UK SIMs.

A total a***.
 DVLA - rtj70
Is it a coincidence it happened after having to show your licence and you didn't put the wallet away again.... just saying.
 DVLA - No FM2R
No. I'd travelled 5 - 10 miles through the town centre in Valparaiso between the two events.

And in any case, the Carabineros in Chile are not corrupt. Not even a bit. Quite an admirable police force, actually.
 DVLA - rtj70
>> And in any case, the Carabineros in Chile are not corrupt

Good to know. I was curious. Any unlocked cars near my when the roads were gridlocked yesterday were ripe for picking.
 DVLA - Tigger
I recently attended a talk by Oliver Morley (DVLA Chief Exec) and he really gets the need to focus their services on users, and to become digital by default.

The total journey is going to take some time (their have some pretty awful back-end systems), but he's going about it the right way.
 DVLA - Old Navy
The only problem I have had with DVLA recently was transferring a car from DVNI to DVLA. Would you believe they only communicate by snail mail? This caused weeks of delays. Online car tax and licence renewals have been very good.
 DVLA - Mr. Ecs
Applied for PCV provisional last July. Took 4 months to arrive. My instructor says some drivers had been waiting 6 months.
Latest Forum Posts