Motoring Discussion > Mystery car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 17

Mystery car - Ted

This photo was in the recent edition of the camping club magazine towing an early caravan The photo is dated 1920.

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/vintage%20car/img023.jpg.html?o=0

Anyone here know what it is ? I don't. Never seen that radiator style on a British make. The transverse cart spring at the front, a la model T, would make it a bit wobbly. Nice looking motor, though. Love the full disc wheel covers.

Thought maybe French.......British reg and RHD.

Any ideas ?
 Mystery car - Armel Coussine
Well it isn't a Jowett... not a Humber either I think. Clyno? There were a lot of small-output marques back in the twenties which have disappeared.

Why should the transverse leaf spring make it 'wobbly'? Worked fine on the Model T. Such axles were sometimes located with leading arms as well as the spring. In fact seldom if ever by the spring alone...
 Mystery car - Ted

We had a Model T here...neighbours car. It was wobbly as a wobbly thing. Even with the locating arms. No shockers didn't help .
Wobbly but nice Ted? No visible dampers on the one in the picture either (not even useless adjustable friction dampers), so well bouncy on a bumpy road...

There were a lot of souped-up Model Ts in America, in their day. Some of those had seriously modified suspension.
 Mystery car - Slidingpillar
Trailing arms as an A frame. You can see it in the picture. No idea what the car is. Registration number is clear so the first point of call would be the Kithead Trust.
www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/
 Mystery car - NortonES2
Rolls Royce. Mascot gives it away!
 Mystery car - NortonES2
Silver Ghost, around 1913?
You can't be suggesting that the car in the photo with reg no LX is a 1913 RR Silver Ghost Nortones? You must be joking or referring to some other photo I haven't got.
 Mystery car - NortonES2
It looks very like a 1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost torpedo tourer. Why, is it an heirloom you have forgotten abite? Link tinyurl.com/mml8m25

Third vehicle from top.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 18:00
 Mystery car - Stuu
Doesnt look like a Rolls to me. The key is the grille, the rest could be down to whatever company built the body.
 Mystery car - Old Navy
>> It looks very like a 1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost torpedo tourer. Why, is it
>> an heirloom you have forgotten abite? Link tinyurl.com/mml8m25
>>
>> Third vehicle from top.
>>

The car in the photo has a different front axle.
 Mystery car - Zero

>> The car in the photo has a different front axle.

The car in the photo has a different front axle, different radiator, different wings, different windscreen, different bonnet, different scuttle, different wheels, different doors, and a different hood.

Apart form that, its the same car.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 19:10
Heh heh... that's a Ghost all right, and a very pretty one indeed. Could it be one of the American Springfield RRs? The pale colour suits it but it's a bit garish. Dark blue or maroon would be better, even black.

Electric headlights I notice. The earliest Ghosts had gas headlamps...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 18:34
 Mystery car - Ted

Nothing at all like a Ghost.......I've transported a couple in my time working for some of the vintage dealers.
>> Nothing at all like a Ghost

Third photo down in Nortones's link Ted. Very pretty, but I think it's an American one... there was an assembly plant there in the roaring twenties.
Absolutely not a Rolls. It's a far lighter car than even a 20HP Rolls (the first to be made for the owner/driver). Width of tyres gives that game away.

Mascot is not the spirit of ecstasy, but in general terms, putting a mascot on a car was a hugely popular thing to do in the 20s and early 30s. They fell out of favour when the law was changed to outlaw ones like mine (pointed and hole digging in pedestrians) although oddly, non-pointy ones are still popular to this day with the Royal family ie Prince Charles' Aston Martin.
Will people saying some car is or isn't a Rolls-Royce please specify what picture they are looking at?

Otherwise everyone but me and Nortones will look an utter prat.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 20:01
The car towing the caravan in the first post. Single transverse leaf spring.

Rolls Royces generally have two springs at the front.
Latest Forum Posts