Motoring Discussion > Snow visibility Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 18

Snow visibility - VxFan

A "reckless" driver has been captured travelling along a motorway in Manchester with the car windscreen almost entirely covered by snow.

The car was filmed driving on the Barton Bridge section of the M60 earlier this week by another motorist's camera.

Greater Manchester Police said it was "incredibly reckless driving" and it was investigating the footage.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30939375

Snow visibility - Boxsterboy
Looks like a Renault Captur 'captured' on film. Beggars belief.
 Snow visibility - Fullchat
Is that a plain Police car behind flashing its lights?
 Snow visibility - WillDeBeest
Looks like it, about 20s in.
 Snow visibility - VxFan
>> Is that a plain Police car behind flashing its lights?

If it was then why would Greater Manchester Police be investigating the footage? Surely the plain police car would have had all the details.

I'm guessing the lower lights of the car behind are LED DRLs, and LEDs flicker when being filmed. Maybe he was flashing his headlights because he's a tailgater or he's not impressed at the snow falling off the car in front of him.
 Snow visibility - Zero

>> I'm guessing the lower lights of the car behind are LED DRLs, and LEDs flicker
>> when being filmed.

Entirely possible, the strobe effect of frame rate and frequency of light source do very strange things.
 Snow visibility - Mr. Ecs
Dashboard camera. What he was driving in lane 3 in reverse? Just as bad, no.
 Snow visibility - Fullchat
Looks like flashing headlights and a brief activation of lower strobes. If on route to another job might not have actually given windscreen a second look on way passed. Having said that from the rear you would have been able to see the obscured screens.
 Snow visibility - Mr. Ecs
If back window was totally obscured, they might of been flashing because of that. Not being able to see front screen through it. From behind probably didn't know the extent of his/her stupidity. And VX, I know about dash cams, it was meant as a joke.
 Snow visibility - VxFan
>> Dashboard camera. What he was driving in lane 3 in reverse? Just as bad, no.

You can get devices that have both a front and rear camera.

eg www.roadangelgroup.com/ProductDetails.aspx

Alternately, just fit a separate cheaper dash camera in the rear as well as one in the front.
 Snow visibility - R.P.
I reckon it's DRL's (flickering as LEDs do in when videod) followed by auto-headlamps coming on.
 Snow visibility - Ted
Looks to me as if he's heading South...Trafford Centre slip on the right ? The tall trees are at Davyhulme poo Farm. This is about 4 miles from us and we've had no snow so where has he picked it all up ?

I'd guess Bury or Bolton areas which is a fair old trot with that lot on the roof. I wonder if he left with a clear screen but half the roof snow has slipped down while braking and he/she didn't want to stop on the M Way. No reason the wipers weren't used...unless they were frozen to the screen.

Mad in the extreme....especially on our M25........although the traffic does move up here !
Last edited by: Ted on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 17:12
 Snow visibility - Bill Payer
>> I reckon it's DRL's (flickering as LEDs do in when videod) followed by auto-headlamps coming
>> on.
>>

The DRLs are flickering, but also he's flashing his headlights at the snow covered car, which turns the DRLs off for a moment.
 Snow visibility - swiss tony
>> I'm guessing the lower lights of the car behind are LED DRLs, and LEDs flicker when being filmed.

Last three words are wasted.
Damn LED light flickering gives me a headache.
 Snow visibility - R.P.
LED flicker from person to person I believe.
 Snow visibility - Zero
>> LED flicker from person to person I believe.

Yes they do. LEDS in cars are strobed on and off in application. They make them bright by driving them to a max then cycling down again in a cycle. If they were powered to max brightness all the time they would soon fail.

You can usually see the effect out of the side of your eye if you move your head from side to side.

The video camera also has a refresh rate, usually 25, 30 or 60 frames per second. This can cause some strange but regular strobe effects in vision.

My camera will slowly cycle railway signals on and off in vision.
 Snow visibility - Tigger
I wonder if the snow was on his roof, and dropped down to the windscreen when he braked?
 Snow visibility - Old Navy
>> I wonder if the snow was on his roof, and dropped down to the windscreen
>> when he braked?
>>

So not only an idiot driver but too thick to realise that roof snow does not have a seat belt.
 Snow visibility - BiggerBadderDave
I got pulled between Xmas and NY for a random breath test. We were off to a family visit and brother-in-law was driving behind and he was also pulled. When we reached the destination I asked if there was any problem and he said the coppers warned him for driving with snow on the roof.

He's got a huge heated double garage, automatic door and it's snowing - but it's too much of a faff to park in the garage. In four years, I've never seen him use it.

Kernob-head.
Latest Forum Posts