Motoring Discussion > Fruitcakes for quieter roads Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 15

Fruitcakes for quieter roads - WillDeBeest
Another one goes 'a bit too Ukip', this time with a car connection.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/21/benefit-claimants-cars-buses-ukip-leaflet

(Cue "What's wrong with that?" from a westerly direction.)
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Haywain
Oh, oh, that ol' Grauniad don't like UKIP, do it!

When I couldn't afford a car, I didn't have one. Nowadays, I can't afford Sky t.v., so I haven't got it. Where have I gone wrong?
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Old Navy
Typical confused mixed messages from UKIP, I thought it was the loony left that was trying to force us out of our cars. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 22 Jan 15 at 08:30
Oh, oh, that ol' Grauniad...

Don't think you can blame this one on the messenger, HW. The Telegraph and the BBC had the same story.

As for not liking Ukip, it's hard enough to like the regressive, quasi-racist, mob-pandering surface of the stone - before something lifts it and you get a glimpse of what crawls underneath.

Where have you gone wrong? Believing politically-motivated scare stories about people living high on the hog at the expense of 'hardworking families' (and got-it-all pensioners) might be part of it.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Zero
>> people living high on the
>> hog at the expense of 'hardworking families' (and got-it-all pensioners)

Exactly load of cobblers. I haven't got my Jaguar HF Sportsbrake yet
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Jan 15 at 09:43
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Bromptonaut
The same fruitcake suggested cyclists should be 'where they belong, on the pavement'. Though I suspect that message to will have its supporters here.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Zero
>> suspect that message to will have its supporters here.

good lord no, they are bad enough on the road.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Bromptonaut
>> When I couldn't afford a car, I didn't have one. Nowadays, I can't afford Sky
>> t.v., so I haven't got it. Where have I gone wrong?

The answer to whether a person on benefits can afford a car is surely 'it depends'. Given the infrequent and expensive bus service round here I'd expect people to hang on to one as long as they possibly could. Ignore depreciation, assume a car with minimal road tax (even our 1.6 Berlingo is less than £2/week) and cheap insurance paid by instalments then keeping one going for a few months at least shouldn't be impossible.

What else are thy supposed to use for (a) job hunting and (b) accessing agency work that starts 'tomorrow'?

Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Mapmaker
The Greens want to reduce car use too. Those two left-wing parties would be in with a chance of an overall majority if they were to combine their votes - and to add in SNP. Odd, though, how fragmented the left is.
The Greens would like to see reduced car use across the board through improved alternative provision for everyone. Stigmatizing already disadvantaged sectors of society to give their supporters someone to feel superior to - the Right have that all to themselves.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Robin O'Reliant
>> The Greens would like to see reduced car use across the board through improved alternative provision for everyone.

>>
After bankrupting the country with their rather novel economic policies the alternative would be the horse and cart.
I'm not advocating their policies, RR, just pointing out the hole in what appeared to be MM's defence of the fruitcake method.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Haywain
"After bankrupting the country with their rather novel economic policies the alternative would be the horse and cart."

My father tells me that my late great uncle who served in the Horse Artillery in WW1, always reckoned that one day, the horse would make a comeback.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> My father tells me that my late great uncle who served in the Horse Artillery
>> in WW1, always reckoned that one day, the horse would make a comeback.
>>
I wish some of the ones I back would make a comeback.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Fursty Ferret
He's a pensioner, therefore a benefits claimant. Someone should let him know this so he can clear the roads for us poor sops that have to use them to get to work!

What a knob.
 Fruitcakes for quieter roads - Old Navy
Don't forget that us pensioners help to keep you in a job flying us to somewhere hot and sunny. While we are there we are not getting in your way on the road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 22 Jan 15 at 19:28
Latest Forum Posts