Motoring Discussion > Pajero water leak Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MD Replies: 28

Pajero water leak - MD
Well it looks as though the head has gone west on the Pajero. Apparently they all do it at sometime. It is the 2.8 for reference. Mechanic says we will try K seal as a starting point, but gut feeling says that'll only be a short term fix. Keep? Sell? ??

I could quite gladly have another Suzy Jimny, but the dog box won't fit. What are my other choices in this sector? Not a lover of pick ups.
 Pajero water leak - RichardW
Depends on what else is wrong with it as usual... head gasket repair might be £500 depending on how difficult the job is / whether the head is OK. Decent replacement is going to cost a lot more than that....
 Pajero water leak - Tigger
2.8 means it's a Mk2, which to me was the peak of Pajero quality - but getting a bit old now.

For me it would all come down to the state of the rest of the vehicle.

I spotted this on the internet - no idea if the company is any good, so not a recommendation. mitziheads.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=97&osCsid=3706fa7b97843d52cb1872ff979dbb9d

I'm a fan of Toyota Landcruisers, but the 90-series also have head issues. Very happy with my 120-series.
Last edited by: Tigger on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 09:18
 Pajero water leak - Dave
Have it fixed properly and it'll last another 150K miles. There's a lot of cheap chinese crap replacement heads around, so find a decent garage that can find a decent replacement (if needed).
 Pajero water leak - swiss tony
Mechanic?
K seal?

That's like a 'builder' using rolled up newspaper instead of a brick!

In my experience (not personally!) only used to sell a car ASAP....
 Pajero water leak - MD
Hi ST. I am well aware of that, but its better than it used to be and the main reason for it is to see the Shooting season out. I know the head will need doing and for the record my Mechanic is extremely thorough. I wonder if I should fit an LSD whilst chucking money about :-0)
 Pajero water leak - Zero
>> Hi ST. I am well aware of that, but its better than it used to
>> be and the main reason for it is to see the Shooting season out. I
>> know the head will need doing and for the record my Mechanic is extremely thorough.
>> I wonder if I should fit an LSD whilst chucking money about :-0)

Trouble is, once you use that stuff you have ruined the engine. Use it if you are getting shot, not if you intend to keep.
>> Trouble is, once you use that stuff you have ruined the engine. Use it if you are getting shot, not if you intend to keep.
>>

Oh... Zero and myself agreeing.. The devil must be feeling cold today.. ;-)
 Pajero water leak - Armel Coussine
>> Trouble is, once you use that stuff you have ruined the engine

Not so actually. That's an exaggeration. But you don't want to use too much of it.
 Pajero water leak - MD

>> Trouble is, once you use that stuff you have ruined the engine. Use it if
>> you are getting shot, not if you intend to keep.
>>

Why ruined?
>> Why ruined?
>>

Because of the way it works - by solidifying where the blown part of the gasket is....

... and by beginning to block up all the water galleys.

Pajero water leak - Zero

>> ... and by beginning to block up all the water galleys.

And the Water pump, Heater matrix, thermostat......
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 Jan 15 at 01:17
 Pajero water leak - CGNorwich
I admit to knowing little about engines but for what it's worth K Seal claim it's impossible for their product to clog the interior waterways. I know they would say that but I suppose they are open to legal action if proved otherwise so they must believe that to be the case.

www.kseal.com/uk/how-does-k-seal-work/
>> I admit to knowing little about engines but for what it's worth K Seal claim it's impossible for their product to clog the interior waterways

It works by solidifying when contact is made with air.
When you open the system, by opening a drain tap, removing a hose, or lifting the head what happens?
Ah... you introduce air into the system... which solidifies K seal....
 Pajero water leak - BobbyG
>>What are my other choices in this sector

What about an original CRV?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501170244321/sort/priceasc/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/3000/model/cr-v/make/honda/postcode/g11qq/usedcars/radius/1501/quicksearch/true/page/1?logcode=p
 Pajero water leak - MD
Appreciate your thoughts, but not suitable thanks.

A slight aside, I could not buy/commit or be bovvered (sic) due to the wordin of da advert.
 Pajero water leak - Alastairw
K seal is regarded as the best sealant. As the name implies, I think it was developed to help Rover owners keep their engines in one piece. A friend of mine kept his 214 going for almost two years after using k seal to fix a blown head gasket.
 Pajero water leak - Victorbox
Several people I know have used K-Seal with good results and no blocked heater matrix or anything else.
 Pajero water leak - RattleandSmoke
One of my mechanics suggested K seal when the head gasket went on my Corsa, reckons he repaired a V8 Jag this way a few years back and it was still on the road a few years later.

I didn't want to risk it causing other problems, but in hindsight I sold the car for £250 so I would not have had anything to loose by trying it. I think I was just too upset at the amount of money I had spent on that car and just wanted rid.

I would never dream of trying it on a vehicle worth any money though.
 Pajero water leak - No FM2R
I'd do it to a vehicle I was trying to keep, but I wouldn't do it to sell a car. Life's too short for that level of guilt.
 Pajero water leak - RattleandSmoke
That was another reason I decided against it, because I would be stuck with a 'working car' that I could never quite trust and would feel too guilty to sell knowing that some of the vital coolant ways could be blocked.

Pajero water leak - slowdown avenue
Had several cars repaired headgaskets but they were never the same.
Who would you sell it to?
I put some sort of seal in the jalopy a couple of years ago to stop a radiator weep thet was a bit tiresome. It worked fine and so has the jalopy ever since.

It's got glittery bits in it, and is made pink by the antifreeze. I opened the radiator cap today and there it was, brimming.

I put two lots in My Plymouth in America because a stone had pierced one of the radiator tubes. It stopped the leak more or less but also blocked a small hole in the head gasket causing the engine to overheat if you cruised at more than 50 on the flat. It was relaxing but America's a huge place.
 Pajero water leak - MD
Well it's in. Just awaiting the outcome.
 Pajero water leak - Runfer D'Hills
Anything happened yet MD?

Suppose it's an age thing is it?

:-))
>> Well it's in. Just awaiting the outcome.

Er... nothing coming out would be best.
 Pajero water leak - MD
All seems fine. I let it fast idle up to temp then gave it a three mile spin. Off again with the Dogs shortly for about another seven miles. Fingers crossed.
 Pajero water leak - Zero
>> All seems fine. I let it fast idle up to temp then gave it a
>> three mile spin.

Did you know idling and short runs does your head gasket in?
 Pajero water leak - MD
Lots of things do my head in.
Latest Forum Posts