Motoring Discussion > Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 16   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 93

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 16 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 16 *****

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 15 is HERE:-

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 12:55

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Duncan
The Top Gear team have left Argentina after a furore over the use of a number plate which may have appeared to refer to the 1982 Falklands War.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Old Navy
I think it is manufactured publicity for their fading programme.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Crankcase
Fading?

www.tv.com/shows/top-gear/trivia/season-21/

Viewing figures in the UK have been at about 5.5 to 6 million per episode for a long time over many series, and this year's was up on the previous.

Worldwide, of course, it's hundreds of millions. Clarkson might be controversial, and long term viewers may have seen it all and had enough, but it's still as popular as it's been for years.
 Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - commerdriver
sounds a bit as though the Argentinian professional aggrieved over the falklands group have been having a field day.

Supposedly Hammonds number was just 3 more than the number of British Falkland dead and May's was just 4 more than the number of Argentinian Falklands dead.

Top gear also confirmed that the number had not been changed for the trip and one paper (cant remember which) had checked with the DVLA and it was the original number plate issued in 1993 for a car of that type and colour.

For once I think TG are the picked on rather han the stirrers

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Zero

>> Top gear also confirmed that the number had not been changed for the trip and
>> one paper (cant remember which) had checked with the DVLA and it was the original
>> number plate issued in 1993 for a car of that type and colour.
>>
>> For once I think TG are the picked on rather han the stirrers

Ok so it hadn't been changed, but I have no doubt that choosing a car with 82 and FKL in the number plate for filming in Argentina was deliberate. (probably wasn't scripted but when they found the car it was a script gift!)

And of course winding up the locals (how did so many people find out about it?) provides wonderful publicity for the forthcoming program

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Cliff Pope
>> I think it is manufactured publicity for their fading programme.
>>

Yes, the Argentine government has to keep banging on about the Falklands to distract people from the ailing economy.
 Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Armel Coussine
>> the Argentine government has to keep banging on about the Falklands to distract people from the ailing economy.

Obviously the Argentinians don't mind being perceived as thuggish and thick, since they brought the whole thing on themselves. Or rather, their strutting idiot military government brought it on them, at the cost of hundreds of innocent conscripts' lives.

What idiots. They even made me come round to Mrs Thatcher, who did the right thing. I don't suppose I was the only one either.
 Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - bathtub tom
That registration brings up a '91 Porsche 928 GT that's got UK tax until 1/5/15 and MOT'd until 6/6/15.

>> That registration brings up a '91 Porsche 928 GT that's got UK tax until 1/5/15
>> and MOT'd until 6/6/15.

it'll not pass the next mot.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - No FM2R
An Argentine would associate FKL with the Malvinas about as fast as a Brit would think Falklands every time they saw MLV.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Bromptonaut
>> An Argentine would associate FKL with the Malvinas about as fast as a Brit would
>> think Falklands every time they saw MLV.

Not sure about that. What about situation if Jersey were Argentinian and known by a Spanish name to its conquerors. I'd imagine the Spanish name would be better known to the Brits than Jersey would be in Argentina.

>> An Argentine would associate FKL with the Malvinas about as fast as a Brit would
>> think Falklands every time they saw MLV.

Yes, hence my comment about how did they find out, who told them. Its a put up job.
Jersey isn't 1,200 miles from London.

Anyway, the point is when did you last see a number plate with MLV on it and think "Oh yes, that means the Falklands" ?

Perhaps if I said; "That bloke driving that car is an Argentinian TV star and he's being rude to you on purpose" then you might get irritated - although, I doubt it even then.

Left to your own devices and imagination I am sure it would pass you by.

I spoke to a friend (Argentino) about 30 minutes ago. He knew about this because he'd read it on the BBC Latin American site. It has been mildly reported in a couple of BA newspapers, but pretty much only today.

Its a wind up. Probably not even a Top Gear wind up, and certainly not a JC wind up. Its more likely to be the BBC and Daily Mail News [sic] reporters.

It is reported in Tierra del Fuego that there is no suggestion the the plates were changed from the original reg. numbers [apparently proof has been provided] and that it was probably not intentional.

It is stated though, and I paraphrase, that the planks should have checked what they were doing and that the other planks should not have laughed so loudly about it when they realised.

Make of that what you will.

FYI. www.clarin.com/

>> FYI. www.clarin.com/

I love Google translate...

Top Gear drivers leave Tierra del Fuego

After the controversy by referring to his provocation Malvinas
Journalists and producers of the popular cars of the BBC left the controversy involved in a great country, from provocative attacks received in the last hours attitudes.

Full production of the British television show about cars Top Gear, BBC, yesterday had to leave the province of Tierra del Fuego, having been intimated by a group of veterans in Ushuaia Malvinas deemed "offensive" allusions to war 1982 patents included in vehicles used for filming. There were attacks and glasses of some vehicles were destroyed with rocks.

As Clarin.com told last Wednesday, the Porsche automobile and the popular English journalist Jeremy Clarkson sheet bore the legend H982 FLK, the date of the war and the "Falklands". But patents Mustang Lotus and had very similar numbers to the number of soldiers killed during both Argentines and 649 British war, 255.

The veterans of the war were present yesterday at the luxurious fueguina Arakur of capital where members were staying 40 of the most popular TV program in the world in his specialty, and there held a tense meeting with the producers, but some of them Argentines hired by the British. The position of former combatants was, from the beginning, "demand the withdrawal of the press team of the province, including the Falkland Islands, before 20 am today, under notice to convene a popular demonstration to condemn the provocation incurred in, "said Osvaldo Telam Hilliard, a member of the association of war veterans.

The meeting in one of the lounges was attended by Secretary of Institutional Registration Affairs in the provincial government, Mariano Plecity, who acted as mediator in the conflict but "at the express directives of Governor Fabiana Ríos" ?.

Plecity past 17 announced that the British group "agreed to withdraw their own volition Tierra del Fuego today, making it part of them by air and by land other ?. The provincial official also clarified that the output of the support vans and trucks, in addition to the three sports cars of controversial patents (a Porsche, a Lotus and a Mustang) will run on National Route 3 "guarded" by police to border of San Sebastián, with no obligation to enter or Tolhuin municipality or the city of Rio Grande to avoid incidents with neighbors and ex-combatants.

"We managed to steer the negotiations to achieve this peaceful end. Today also leave the province and we have asked them to state a public apology about what happened. As they say something that was not on purpose, an apology from you would do well for everyone, "said yesterday the secretary of the provincial government. For his part, described the attitude Hilliard program issuing the BBC as "an offense that not coincidentally was the capital of the Falklands, start with a whole television scene without considering the special feeling of the Fuegians by this cause "he noted.

"They did not want to hurt feelings lie to us but we know that for 200 years. We said we answered them not for their safety if they did not leave and we committed to do today, "said the veteran of the Falklands.

Plecity told yesterday that the provincial government agreed to copies of official papers of the three cars, and there is clear that patents are manufacturing, ie that were not added especially for this trip to Argentina and Chile. However, he noted, "we do not know how to access the names of patents in Britain and even if a purely random event, should have warned its consequences in this region."

The last day of the caravan of Top Gear in Tierra del Fuego was plagued with activities and stress, because since the morning rose the sports car to the summit of Cerro Castor, 30 kilometers from Ushuaia, where they filmed several scenes for the program . Yesterday afternoon, one of the vans production starred in a slight collision with a city vehicle on his way to the place of accommodation, so that his British driver and his Argentine passenger were delayed in place until the proceedings were carved rigor and producer even had to submit to a breath test and the result was negative.

"We are aware of the incident involving British nationals in Argentina and we are providing consular assistance," he told Clarín today a source at the Foreign Office in relation to the complicated situation of the motorist and journalist Jeremy Clarkson and his team, stoned in Tierra del Fuego and forced to leave the province for using their alluding to the 1982 war and the Falklands as the Malvinas tell UK patent proceedings.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Old Navy
>> Jersey isn't 1,200 miles from London.

Neither are the Falklands.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Manatee
But Stanley is 1200 miles from Buenos Aires.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Cliff Pope
It always seems amazing to me the way some people feel moved to riot or demonstrate about irrelevant things of no personal concern.

I don't feel I need to go and throw stones and bricks at French cars out of anger at them retaking our Angevin empire, or even Calais, which was quite recent (1588).
I've completely forgiven the Americans too.
>> It always seems amazing to me the way some people feel moved to riot or
>> demonstrate about irrelevant things of no personal concern.

National pride and occupation of territory perceived as theirs by foreigners seems count as a personal concern in most parts of the world.........

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - wokingham
A spokesman for Top Gear states: “Production decided what cars they wanted for the trip and the budget per car. A production assistant bought three cars.

“An Argentinian newspaper decided that as the number plate contains the letters FKL and number 982, it must be a reference to the war. It is not. Nor did Jeremy choose or purchase the car.”

Executive producer Andy Wilman said: “Top Gear production purchased three cars for a forthcoming programme; to suggest this car was either chosen for its number plate, or that an alternative number plate was substituted for the original is completely untrue.”

>> Executive producer Andy Wilman said: “Top Gear production purchased three cars for a forthcoming programme;
>> to suggest this car was either chosen for its number plate, or that an alternative
>> number plate was substituted for the original is completely untrue.”

It beggars belief that the numberplate was both wholly coincidental AND that it's implication was not spotted by a member of team Top Gear.

Tthat 'denial' involves some very carefully chosen words used in their most literal sense.

Strictly speaking it may be true but....

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - R.P.
No such thing as bad publicity.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Runfer D'Hills
Perhaps English people should decide to be offended by any car with an "S" prefix ( ie registered in Scotland ) and with a 14 plate as 14 represents the second half of the year 1314 when the battle of Bannockburn took place...

Or should everyone making these preposterously tenuous connections stop taking themselves so ruddy seriously and get on with their lives perhaps?

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 4 Oct 14 at 15:40
 Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - wokingham
I think Chris Huhne and a few other would disagree there!

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - mikeyb
Clarkson has taken to Twitter to claim that the only true version of events will be in tomorrows Times

Haahha - PUBLICITY !

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - VxFan
The saga continues

tinyurl.com/nqxbdhx - www.express.co.uk (other newspaper articles are also available)

I really doubt that word was recognised by an Argentinian.

In any case, never used, never put on a car, not actually rude unless you interpret what it was supposed to use, no crime, no offence.

I don't like TG anymore, and I find Jeremy Clarkson's humour increasingly tiresome. But I cannot see that it requires anything than a dropping viewership.

All the media crap that is going on says far more about their [accurate?] opinions of their readership than it does about Clarkson.

Las g1I1p0IIases. [Which presumably the Express will recognise without issue?]
 Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - Roger.
I left Top Gear behind at least 4 years ago. Repetitive stuff.
What is a 'bell end' anyway? It sounds vaguely insulting but essentially meaningless. Not obscene or anything.

>> What is a 'bell end' anyway? It sounds vaguely insulting but essentially meaningless. Not obscene
>> or anything.

I take it AC that your tongue is in your cheek.....

Some years ago I took The Lad who was then around 13 to see his club, Liverpool, perform at fortress Anfield. A family friend tagged along with his daughter who was some years younger.

Chap in the row behind kept up an expletive laden narrative throughout the match including frequent description of players, ref etc as 'you effin bell end'. Explaining it to The Lad was simple; I didn't relish the friend's task but fortunately it all seemed to go over the wee girl's head.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 9 Oct 14 at 17:28

A bell end

www.buzzfeed.com/richardhjames/this-penis-drawn-on-a-15m-bugatti-veyron-is-funny-but-not-ev#3aecj4a

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - WillDeBeest
I thought it was off the A491 in Worcestershire.

>> I thought it was off the A491 in Worcestershire.
>>

Thats lower bell end.

>> I left Top Gear behind at least 4 years ago. Repetitive stuff.

Skills you seemed to have absorbed with your UKIP posts.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - IJWS14
The program had its moments, especially crossing the bridge to the dead end but I would like the producers to answer one question.

When all the other specials have involved locally purchased vehicles why did they transport British registered cars to South America for this one?

Makes me think the number was deliberately chosen, not that TG have not been provocative to the locals before.

Probably backfired on Argentina as well, this will be shown globally and when most specials will have boosted tourism would you go to a country that treated visitors, even provocative visitors, like that?

Argentina has not, in fact, officially complained about the number plate. What they have complained about is Clarkson's version of the events and the comments he made.

www.argentine-embassy-uk.org/documents/BBC/Annex_1-Report_by_the_S_of_Registry_and_Institutional_Affairs_M._P._to_the_Governor_of_Tierra_del_Fuego_F._R.pdf

Clarkson made Falkland comments throughout the show - on thing that interested me was the fixing of external speakers to the Porsche "pick up" - what were they for - surely not to blast out jingoistic music...surely not ?

On Christmas eve I sent the Beeb a FOI request for details on the origin of the Porsche. Been acknowledged....I'll let you know.

The fact that the trip was planned to end at the port where the Belgrano sailed from told you all you needed to know about the basic tone.

Now I for one have no objection to a bit of argie baiting and general pee taking, tho the jingoistic Clarkson Johnny foreigner ritual is getting a bit repetitive, I just wish they hadn't been so damn boring about it. Two hours? two parts? no way

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - rtj70
I wonder why it was even called the Patagonia special - it was mostly in Chile it seemed. Probably because they were not welcome in Argentina?

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - sooty123
>> I wonder why it was even called the Patagonia special - it was mostly in
>> Chile it seemed. Probably because they were not welcome in Argentina?
>>

Isn't part of Patagonia in Chile?

>>Isn't part of Patagonia in Chile?

Yes.

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - rtj70
>> >>Isn't part of Patagonia in Chile?
>> Yes.

Well I learned something then - I thought it was all in Argentina.

The programme was terrible. Why would anyone think driving sports cars in places they did is entertaining? It was just stupid. And boring.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 16:00

Top Gear Team Leave Argentina - VxFan
>> On Christmas eve I sent the Beeb a FOI request for details on the origin
>> of the Porsche. Been acknowledged....I'll let you know.

Here's James May's interview on the origins of the Porsche.

bcove.me/jkpy5m2h

>James May's interview

I think he lets himself down there. I'd always thought of him as the one with a level of integrity on the show whereas that interview is deliberately disingenuous in a number of places.

Terrible load of ovoids.

Both May and the interviewer mispronounced some word ending in '-thing' - something, nothing - by changing the ending to '-think': somethink, nothink.

Are they ignorant proles, or were they doing it to suck up to the 12-year-old yob viewers? I really don't care. Rather watch Sky news, Al-Jazeera or RT any day. Even more annoying, and funnier.

>>When all the other specials have involved locally purchased vehicles why did they transport British registered cars to South America for this one?

I should guess that the intention was jingoistic (British cars in the Argentine etc. etc.) I shouldn't think they particularly went looking for the number plate on purpose, but I should think that they were very much aware of it when they got it and felt it added to the "joke".

Clarkson then took it even further with his representation of the events, his own words and the behaviour of the crew. The first mention of the Belgrano made me cringe. 323 people died on that ship. It doesn't really seem the sort of thing to take lightly, even if the act was justified and whoever's fault it was. (You may wish to note that the Argentine Navy has officially stated many times that they consider the sinking a legitimate act of war).

More than anything its embarrassing to be seen to have sunk that low. (unintentional pun). The fact that it was also boring and unfunny was just insult to injury.

Certainly for me its about time that JC wandered off. No doubt he will cause another controversy at some point, and hopefully the next one will get him - rightly or wrongly.

>> The first mention of the Belgrano made me cringe.

You're quite right FMR. The Falklands war was very nasty and a lot of people died in it. The Argies may have started all the argy-bargy but it certainly wouldn't have been wanted by most Argentinians. It was wished on the poor sods by some very stupid far-right military (theirs, not ours).

The TG take on it was worthy of a yobbish 12-year-old, almost certainly the archetypal target viewer. Yobbish 12-year-olds come in all ages, I would remind people. Plenty of them are in their thirties, forties and fifties.

Austin Healey, The Guardian 15 Nov - WillDeBeest
Unmissable show? Top Gear.

TV turn off? I don't like falseness.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Zero
The Falklands one.

Part one was on last night, and I have to say it was possibly the worse special they have ever done (so far) stunning country and scenery so far but utterly utterly boring stuff from the TG team.

I can see why they drummed up the hype of the falklands thing, its the only possible interest remaining to keep me watching - and i may not.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Dec 14 at 09:56

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - diddy1234
I think it's on par with the India special.... that was boring too
shame as there isn't that much on TV these days to keep me interested and I look forward to these specials

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Runfer D'Hills
That 928 did still look like a car you could use everyday though. ( if you didn't take it off roading)

A guy I know had one back along and loved it. Of the "not 911" Porsches it's probably one of the nicest of its time. Although another friend had a 924S which came with the hairdresser bodywork but had the 2.5 Porsche engine and that was a pleasing thing to drive.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Armel Coussine
I don't want to see it again. All that money, nice cars too, wasted on puerile fooling around. If the crew and presenters were really chased out of some god-forsaken corner of Tierra del Fuego by an angry crowd chucking bricks and firing blunderbusses, it'll be on Youtube sooner or later. But of course nothing lile that really happened except by arrangement.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - legacylad
Part 2 is not going to keep me out of the pub tonight. And if it is still on when I return, then I have Alan Bennetts Untold Stories to read

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Ian (Cape Town)
Thanks for your input, chaps. I won't be going out of my way to acquire it.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - WillDeBeest
Watched pt1 this evening with the Beestlings. As Z says, fantastic scenery, well photographed, but little else going on apart from more evidence than ever of how dependent the whole parade is on the huge and unseen backup crew.

Then we watched May's other gig in ...Toy Stories, which was terrific fun, with some unscripted hoot-out-loud moments. If you have only one hour to spare (yes, I know, but let's pretend) then watch that one.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Alastairw
Agreed. Toy Stories genuinely good fun. I did watch part 2 of Patagonia but it didn't really hold my attention. Seemed to be an awful lot of unnecessary off road driving. And yet again Hammond proved to be the least good at buying old cars.

PS. From first ep, at least we know why JC likes 928s - I think I would too in those circs.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - No FM2R
Utter rubbish. I watched as far as the first mention of the Belgrano and stopped.

What tripe.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - swiss tony
>> And yet again Hammond proved to be the least good at buying old cars.

Of course he did.
Thats what the (single / slightly modified for each show) script dictated.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Westpig
It was bad.

Wifey used to like it, now she has to well and truly have her arm twisted.

Interestingly, my near 7 year old son laughed all the way through. Maybe it's reached that level.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Bromptonaut
>> Interestingly, my near 7 year old son laughed all the way through. Maybe it's reached
>> that level.

To my mind it reached that level years ago. I think the episode where Hammond returned after his head injury was the turning point for me. An opportunity for a serious look at road traffic head injury and it's effects thrown away in exchange for cheap jokes about dribbling.

>> returned after his head injury was the turning point for me. An opportunity for a
>> serious look at road traffic head injury and it's effects

One is grateful you chose a career in the civil service and not television production.

>> little else going on apart from more evidence than ever of how dependent the whole
>> parade is on the huge and unseen backup crew.

Possibly a series fatal mistake that. Ok anyone with half a brain could work out that there was a large well equipped back up and filming crew. To be honest I didn't realise how large that was till the scene at the end where they were escaping in convoy.

For most people this will have killed any sense of adventure these trips have tried to portray.

Have to say, I think TG is now well beyond sell by date.
Kind of busted the myth that RWD is undrivable on loose surfaces though didn't it? As borne out by my own experience yesterday driving my RWD car on snow and ice covered country lanes culminating in about a half mile of unmade hilly track covered in hard packed frozen snow. Coped fine.

Well, however good, bad or indifferent it was, however staged, it was still infinitely preferable to me and a welcome relief from yet another episode of Strictly come Voicing on Ice in the Jungle with Factors while Baking in Essex or indeed Chelsea.
 Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Stuu
It was ok, not as interesting as previous specials, bit too predictable even for a fan like me. The only exciting bit was the unscripted stuff at the end, although one suspects that wasnt the intention. It did however save us from another round of the stupid car football.

Perhaps now is the time for direct fan involvement and letting fans vote for a handful of different scenarios online, perhaps choosing a combination of location, types of cars and budget. It certainly wouldnt be as predictable then, so long as there were enough options.
 Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - Fullchat
"Well, however good, bad or indifferent it was, however staged, it was still infinitely preferable to me and a welcome relief from yet another episode of Strictly come Voicing on Ice in the Jungle with Factors while Baking in Essex or indeed Chelsea."

A big + 1 and I haven't even seen it. And you missed Pop Idol :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 20:37

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - CGNorwich
Quite like the baking thing. No problems with cake based entertainment.

I quite like, QI, Mock The Week, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Have I Got News For You, Jools Holland and Top Gear. Apart from those, the News and anything with Prof Brian Cox in it I'd not really bother to make any particular effort to turn the TV on.

My wife likes anything with dead bodies in it, especially if it involves cutting them up to solve a fictitious mystery and Strictly come Talent in Britain type stuff. Neither of those types of programmes are capable of keeping me from sinking into a form of catatonia so I go for a swim instead.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 22:00

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - CGNorwich
I know it's unfashionlable to admit it but I like TV. Dramas, soaps, comedies, documentaries, anything as long as it's well done for its type. Like the cinema too and radio, podcasts and listening to music . Do a lot of reading as well as both paper and on the Kindle. Sort of entertainment junkie really.

I have a sneaking feeling that most people watch At least twice as much TV as they admit to. A bit like drinking.

Not keen on Top Gear though. Don't like cars much. :-)

I don't drink much either, I had a couple of Macallans on Boxing Day and enjoyed them but I'm fairly sure I'd not had any other alcohol since we were in France in August. Not against drinking or anything, just don't seem to get around to it much. Always seems to be some reason not to, like an early start looming or a wish to use the car late at night to go to the gym or for a swim so it's sort of socially inconvenient to drink.

Early evenings are usually spent eating, catching up on emails, flatulating about on sites like this and helping with homework etc. I'm rubbish at sitting still, always seem to be naffing about with something and to be honest if I sit for more than a hour in a soft chair I fall asleep anyway no matter what. I must have snored through some really good programmes over the years.

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - MD
>> and to be honest if I sit for more than a
>> hour in a soft chair I fall asleep anyway no matter what. I must have
>> snored through some really good programmes over the years.
>>
An hour! Beats me by some margin. Zzzzzzzzzz

Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - bathtub tom
I watched both episodes (sigh).

PUERILE!

It's so obviously contrived, all the 'we're stuck here and don't know how to get out' ball-ox.

Continuity had a cock-up in the second episode, when it showed May's Lotus without its trailer, when it had it in previous and following shots!

Makes you wonder how factual the 'damage' to the crew's vehicles was, as one shot showed white tape in an X pattern over intact glass?
 Top Gear - Patagonia Special. - VxFan
>> Makes you wonder how factual the 'damage' to the crew's vehicles was, as one shot
>> showed white tape in an X pattern over intact glass?

Have you never watched Dad's Army? All the windows in the episodes had white tape on them. Common thing to do during the war.

www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-taped-windows.htm

Putting white tape (or any colour come to that) over glass in that way helps stop it breaking, as

a. it helps spread the load of any impact.
b. if it does break, the tape helps to still hold it all together and not shower everybody in broken glass.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 02:05
 Top Gear Lego Trailer for New Series - rtj70
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YDMt7jOfU

Top Gear Lego Trailer for New Series - VxFan
Brilliant. More entertaining than the real thing.

Top Gear Lego Trailer for New Series - rtj70
That's what I thought too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 15 Jan 15 at 13:30

Top Gear popularity - henry k
Top Gear remains popular despite the controversies, holding a Guinness Record for the most-watched factual programme in the world

BBC 'does not trust' Top Gear

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30852411

Top Gear popularity - Bromptonaut
if the Guinness Book of Records regards TG as 'factual' the McWhirter twins must be rotating in their graves.

Top Gear popularity - Mike Hannon
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11351222/Makers-of-Top-Gear-debate-another-series-after-annus-horribilis.html

Draw the line now, before half the target audience dies of old age and the other half grows up.
 Top Gear popularity - Runfer D'Hills
However, it can't be denied that TG is still one of the best, in fact best ever selling TV programmes and formats worldwide. So in other words, lots and lots of people do like it.

At the risk of stating the obvious, there are many TV programmes or formats I don't enjoy so I don't bother to watch them once I've established that. For those who dislike or have tired of TG, the answer seems simple enough to me. Just don't bother to watch it and let the vast numbers of those who do like it enjoy it if that's what pleases them.

If it were up to me to decide which programmes should be axed there would be really quite a long list to work through before I got to TG. Flawed as it may be, I still, for the most part, find it more enjoyable than the endless "talent" competitions and soap operas which are undeniably also popular but don't happen to float my boat.

If others want to watch those and they enjoy them then I have no problem with that. So if I want to watch TG then why should anyone else have any objection? It's not like we are short of TV channel choices these days is it?

There are plenty of TV programmes I find banal, boring or irritating, but it doesn't bother me that they exist for those who do enjoy them, so why are there people who want TG axed just because they don't want to watch it?

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 17 Jan 15 at 13:31
 Top Gear popularity - legacylad
What's wrong with TG? I havenot watched it for a few years, like 99.9% of stuff on the box. But I assume it brings in lots of revenue for the BBC which helps keep my licence fee down. And the presenters rich. Good for them. Probably lots of worse dross on the telly which has fewer viewing figures and doesn't sell overseas. So long as the viewing figures hold up you might as well keep producing it.

Top Gear popularity - Focusless
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11351222/Makers-of-Top-Gear-debate-another-series-after-annus-horribilis.html
>>
>> Draw the line now, before half the target audience dies of old age and the
>> other half grows up.

Bit late for that - new series starts next Sunday :)

Also:

If you simply can't wait until the 25th, you'll know by now that on Sunday 18 January - yes, that's this Sunday - we're also hosting a very special one-off show called ‘An Evening With Top Gear'; an exclusive preview of Series 22 where Jeremy, Richard and James preview clips from the new series and answer questions from across the globe in front of a live audience, right here in London.

www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/top-gear-series-22-episode-one-global-launch-2015-01-15

Top Gear popularity - mikeyb
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11351222/Makers-of-Top-Gear-debate-another-series-after-annus-horribilis.html
>>
>> Draw the line now, before half the target audience dies of old age and the
>> other half grows up.
>>

I thought when Clarkson sold the rights last year there was some kind of contractual agreement that he would still do another couple or so years?

At the end of the day there is a large market for it, and just because people fall out of love with it doesnt mean that others are starting to enjoy it.

I expect the link above is nothing more than publicity seeking / pressuring the Beeb to give Andy and the team more of a free hand on what they do

Top Gear popularity - Old Navy
You have to keep in mind that TG has become just another entertainment show like I'm a third rate celeb acting like a pratt on TV. It just happens to be loosely motoring based.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 12:29

Top Gear popularity - No FM2R
>>I thought when Clarkson sold the rights last year there was some kind of contractual agreement that he would still do another couple or so years?

I think he sold his share in the rights in 2012. IIRC all three presenters agreed to do a further 3 years at that point. So perhaps 2015 is the last contracted year.

Top Gear popularity - Zero
>> So perhaps 2015 is the
>> last contracted year.

I think its probably had its day, all of these type of things have a natural life span and this has reached that point. Even the presenters seem bored and tetchy with it.

You have to consider tho that abroad in some countries the franchise has only just started or is halfway through. Clarkson and the Beeb will still be making a pretty penny from that.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 12:44
 Top Gear popularity - rtj70
When Clarkson and co took over the TG baton so to speak, it was probably a breath of fresh air and different. Over the years there have been good shows but I think the format is coming to it's natural end.

Keep doing the same and we'll say it is the same boring stuff. Push the boundaries and we complain.

Time for something new I think. And Clarkson is certainly getting too old for this.

The old TG format became Fifth Gear.... how did their ratings compare to the modern TG? :-)

Top Gear popularity - RattleandSmoke
Clarkson is not really that old he just looks older than he is. I was watching an audience with Top Gear tonight, and the three presenters joked the show had become Last of the Summer whine.

The new series is a 10 show production run, but I really do think it is becoming to the end.

I rarely watch 5th Gear, I find the show a bit flat and boring, but I did used to love the classic Top Gears. I remember when James May used to be in that briefly.

Top Gear popularity - Focusless
>> I rarely watch 5th Gear

I was going to say that's perhaps because it stopped a few years ago, but apparently it just moved to Discovery (in 2011).

Top Gear popularity - VxFan
I still watch 5th gear. They've had quite a variety of presenters over the years. Some worse than others (i.e. Tim Shaw, Tim Lovejoy, and Tom Ford).

Top Gear popularity - henry k
>> >> I rarely watch 5th Gear
>>
>> I was going to say that's perhaps because it stopped a few years ago,
>> but apparently it just moved to Discovery (in 2011).
>>
I might watch it if it is recycled on Quest ( next year maybe?)

Top Gear popularity - VxFan
>> I might watch it if it is recycled on Quest ( next year maybe?)

Will their you tube channel suffice in the meantime?

www.youtube.com/user/fifthgearuk

Or alternately, others have uploaded episodes too.

Latest Forum Posts