Motoring Discussion > Car warranty validity Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Car warranty validity - bathtub tom
I'm looking to buy a Toyota. I've seen a couple of two year olds that haven't been serviced on time. One in particular had its first service as required, but has yet to have its second (it's a month overdue), although it's well within the mileage requirement.

What's the experience here of Toyota honouring their warranty if the service record's a tad tardy?

Their five year warranty could prove useful if anything fails in the near future.
 Car warranty validity - Crankcase
Ten percent on miles, a month on time as a rule of thumb at first pass is probable, but needs to be confirmed with a dealer.

You might get a bit more if you ask Toyota UK direct (existing or previous customer, that kind of thing).

Car warranty validity - Auristocrat
Toyota's service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles - whichever occurs first. So the servicing must be carried out on whichever basis occurs first (time or mileage).

Toyota allow the following leeway in their servicing schedules - either 1 calendar month or 1,000 miles whichever occurs first.

If the car is for sale at a Toyota dealer, they may have had the car for a few weeks and this may explain the discrepancy in the servicing. This would probably be OK as regards the warranty.

If it is at a non-Toyota dealer, it will be more difficult to get confirmation that the warranty hasn't been affected.
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 22:25
 Car warranty validity - ....
If you hit the dealer hard upfront don't expect any help going forward, you could get the dealer to underwrite you going forward if you pay what they want, you're stuffed if they go under. My view if it does not meet EXACTLY the manufacturer's spec forget it, buy cheap and use the savings to sort out any potential issues.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 22:42
I did look at one at a Toyota dealer. I thought it was way overpriced, as it hadn't been serviced for a couple of years and 20K! The salesman told me "that can be sorted on-line".

I walked!

I though Toyota were supposed to have a good reputation?
Think with any marque you get good dealers and not so good dealers. As with any dealer network, if you're not happy with the service at one location, there is usually another not too far away.
For example, after two poor test drive experiences at my local dealer, the last three cars I've bought have been from a dealer 20 miles away where their service (both on sales and servicing) has been excellent to me.

Last edited by: Auristocrat on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 23:58
 Car warranty validity - Tigger
When I was looking to buy my landcruiser, a fair number of 13-month old examples at main dealers were ex-hire and were late for their first service.

I never did get a definitive answer on whether the warranty was still valid, beyond a 'we'll look after you' from the selling dealer (who in each case was some way from home).

In the end, I found an 11-month old, 4,000 mile example halfway across the country.
 Car warranty validity - Old Navy
Although Toyotas come with a "Five year warranty" sticker in the back window it is a three year Europe wide 60,000 mile Toyota EU warranty followed by a two year Toyota UK 20,000 mile warranty. It has all the usual exclusions for wear and tear items. It helps to know who you are dealing with.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 20 Sep 14 at 08:49
To clarify the warranty -

In order to increase customer confidence in the product after the accelerator pedal recall of 2009/2010, Toyota GB added an extra 2 years/40,000 mile warranty period to the comprehensive new car warranty bringing it up to 5 years/100,000 miles.
Whereas Toyota Europe retained the 3 year/100,000km new car warranty.

As regards some of the newer used cars being ex-hire or ex-lease, this is common across most manufacturers.

At least Toyota don't have long standing agreements with driving schools to supply and then resell ex-driving school cars through their used car programmes. In the case of Ford if you buy a six month old Fiesta or Focus through Ford Direct, it could be ex-AA driving school. In the case of Vauxhall, if you buy a six month old Corsa or Astra through Network Q, it could be ex-BSM.
 Car warranty validity - Old Navy
>> To clarify the warranty -
>>

Sorry about the 20/40K typo, I even had my Toyota warranty book in my hand at the time. I blame senility. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Sep 14 at 07:59
>>When I was looking to buy my landcruiser, a fair number of 13-month old examples at main dealers were ex-hire and were late for their first service.

That's what I'm beginning to discover too.

Latest Forum Posts