Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 207 - Any thoughts on the Pug 207 1.4VTi? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 3

Peugeot 207 - Any thoughts on the Pug 207 1.4VTi? - Mike H
Our daughter-in-law passed her driving test a couple of weeks ago, with no minors, so well done her. She's now looking for a car, and has her heart set on a Peugeot 207. The version they are currently looking at is a 1.4VTi S, with the chain-cam engine. It has to be petrol based on useage patterns. I've been doing a bit of distance research, as oor lad is not mechanically minded and I'm trying to help him out. I've dragged up a "buying a used car" checklist from What Car?, checked out HJ and looked on Autotrader for price comparisons.

So, the car they are currently considering is a 57 reg. 52,000 jobbie with FSH at £2,850 from a non-franchised dealer. Parkers suggests the price is about right. This looks a fair price based on a quick look at Autotrader. Couple of questions: in practice, does this price look OK? And is there anything specific to look out for on this car/model?

As an aside, I've suggested other cars such as the Yaris, Micra, Fiesta, Jazz, Mazda 2, and i10. The only one of these she'd consider would be a Mazda 2. Suggestions on a postcard around the £3,000 mark welcome. Must be small and petrol. The lad can hardly change wiper blades, so cheap servicing is a must!
 Peugeot 207 - Any thoughts on the Pug 207 1.4VTi? - Skip
I had a 1.6 VTi for 2 1/2 years from new. I am not sure if this is just a bigger version of the 1.4 VTi or a different lump altogether (the 1.6 is a BMW engine) The only problems I had in 24,000 mile was a water leak into the drivers door pocket and the water pump went at 20,000 miles, which is apparently a common problem. Both obviously done under warranty. They can suffer from timing chain problems (belts are better IMHO) and mine did have a rattle from start for about 30 seconds in the last couple of months I owned it which may or may not have been the timing chain. Great car to drive comfortable, roomy, smooth and very spacious for a "small" car. Average 40mpg and up to 45 on a run (mine was an auto). Servicing 2 years or 20,000 miles
Last edited by: Skip on Wed 10 Sep 14 at 18:56
 Peugeot 207 - Any thoughts on the Pug 207 1.4VTi? - wokingham
Cash buyer with no trade-in? Try a haggle! Which one of the two is going to do weekly fluids, lights and tyre pressure checks?.
 Peugeot 207 - Any thoughts on the Pug 207 1.4VTi? - Mike H
>> Cash buyer with no trade-in? Try a haggle! Which one of the two is going
>> to do weekly fluids, lights and tyre pressure checks?.
>>
Yes, I've already pointed the possibility of a haggle on the price. To be fair, our son is capable of the weekly checks, but he did quail when I suggest he might change the battery himself on his own 307!
Latest Forum Posts