Motoring Discussion > Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth?
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 11

Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth? - Stuu
Someone I know is going to sell one and I really wasnt sure.

Its a '95 M reg 80 Cabrio 2.6E manual. 115k miles, long MOT and tax, full service history from new with a recent £700 plus bill for waterpump and new belts etc, so a properly looked after car.
Its in excellent condition, a few marks here and there but very minor ones and for a car of this age, its about as good as it gets.

Any ideas what its worth?
 Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth? - Zero
Right now, in this weather, about 2 grand tops.

Come November, about 1500 quid.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth? - Iffy
...about two grand tops...

Is it that much?

The Audio 80 Cabrio is a real pudding - wouldn't surprise me if it's worth more as a saloon at this age.

And who wants a 2.6ltr engine in the current tax climate?

No doubt its owner will think it's a £5K appreciating classic. :)

Last edited by: ifithelps on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 10:29
 Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth? - Zero
shoddy ones fetch 1500 quid all day long, its a bit of a looker for not much money.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth? - Dave_
A friend bought an L reg red one last year, condition 7/10, 125k miles. He paid £2k, drove it for 3 months and then sold it without losing money.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - Whats it worth? - DP
This was the personal transport of choice of Princess Di, and I'm sure this still has some bearing on its popularity.

Quite an elegant looking car IMHO. Never driven one though.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - What's it worth? - Avant
I had a look at a few before eventually going for the Z3 two years ago. The trouble with this (and also a Saab convertible which I tried) was that when the hood is up it's much the same as driving the saloon.

With a Z3 (and an MX-5) you get something that feels special, hood up or down.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - What's it worth? - Netsur
Someone on here or on HJ bought something like this recently. That should give you an idea of value.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - What's it worth? - Boxsterboy
>> The trouble with this (and also a Saab convertible which I tried) was that
>> when the hood is up it's much the same as driving the saloon.
>>

I guess that accusation could be levelled at any 4-seat convertible. But if you need 4 seats and would like a convertible, what's the alternative?

I have been thinking about a 4-seat convertible for high days and holidays use, and am thinking of a 306 or Mk 1 Golf. Mrs BB had a 306 cabriolet 15 years and it was a lovely car - but I'm not sure how well they wear their years if I'm looking in the sub £2k bracket now. The problem with Mk1 Golfs (apart from the rust) is that they have this 'cult' thing which inflates the prices.

Any views out there?
 Audi 80 Cabrio - What's it worth? - DP
I've had a couple of 306s and on the whole found them reliable and tough. They are like all the best French cars - relatively simple mechanically and electronically. There are still loads of early (L-M reg) examples driving around which are visibly rust free and clearly still plodding on mechanically.

No other FWD car in this class (including the Focus IMHO) has a better chassis. Supple ride, first class handling, wonderful steering.

Any mk1 Golf in reasonable condition will be heinously overpriced.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - What's it worth? - Boxsterboy
Yes, that's how I remember the 306 - just wasn't sure if my rose-tinted spectacles were playing tricks! It's not exactly the best time of year to be looking for a cabriolet, but here we go!
 Audi 80 Cabrio - What's it worth? - legacylad
Not that much choice at sensible money for a reliable 4 seater convertible.
I was sold on a folding hardtop MX5 until i realised my old mum could get neither in nor out! After much searching and compromise i bought the '04 330Ci convertible privately in Jan, 'undriven' under 18" of snow and a bit of a gamble. Glad I did not go for the Audi or Saab equivalent. I would still prefer the MX5. Definitely less outright performance but more of a pure driving experience...at least until I can afford a second hand TTRS ragtop!
Latest Forum Posts