Motoring Discussion > Honda Jazz/Fit - Update on honda Jazz CVT bought Quarter 3 2012.
Thread Author: madf Replies: 11

Honda Jazz/Fit - Update on honda Jazz CVT bought Quarter 3 2012. - madf
Prior discussion before purchase:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=12233&v=f

FACTS:
Average mpg 42 (Fuelly). i.e urban EC economy..nearly.
Mileage 9,000
Maintenance: 2 services: Cost £nil. (Honda service plan in purchase price)
What has gone wrong: Nothing
Insurance pa c £150.
RFL £110

THE GOOD
Well since I bought it , car has fulfilled my mainly urban driving needs admirably. Easy to park, 100% reliable, copes with snow (just) , comfortable, wide opening doors and takes 4 adults with ease. And it takes beehives with bees admirably with the magic fold flat back seats and the load points in the boot are ideal for bungee securing leads.

Easy to wash and clean.
CVT changes smooth and easy.
Very relaxing to drive.
Honda dealership pleasant to deal with.

THE BAD
Some tyre noise on rough surfaces .
Some wind noise at 75mph.
Bland and boring to drive.
One retracting wind mirror squeaked when retracting after rain. A squirt of WD40 sorted it and it's been OK for the last 18 months.

Picture
tinyurl.com/nh57vsr

Honda Jazz/Fit - Update on honda Jazz CVT bought Quarter 3 2012. - WillDeBeest
Beehives with bees? Given how distracting a single fly can be in a moving car, I'm intrigued to know how you make a hive full of bees safe to transport.
Beehives usually have a single entrance which can be easily blocked with wood or plastic foam and gaffer tape. The roof is strapped to the hive body and floor.

So no bees can exit..(there is a mesh floor usually which is left open for ventilation).

Done it several times with no problems...
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Update on honda Jazz CVT bought Quarter 3 2012. - Alanovich
Now I'm sure that I can guess the missing last 5 letters of your username, madf.....
It's an abbreviation of "madasaafish" :-)
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Update on honda Jazz CVT bought Quarter 3 2012. - Bill Payer
>> CVT changes smooth and easy.

Didn't we discuss this before? It should change smoothly as nothing actually changes!

>> Some tyre noise on rough surfaces .

As a matter of interest, which tyres (make & model) is it on, please?

>> Bland and boring to drive.

We've just ordered another, for our daughter - I made her have one in an attempt to bring down the Jazz owner average age :) - I hadn't noticed before that Honda have at some point since 2009 tweaked the front bumper and made it look quite fussy. They have added a mesh grill in front of the condenser though.
>> CVT changes smooth and easy.

Didn't we discuss this before? It should change smoothly as nothing actually changes!

Most of the time, I have no idea of any change..

Michelin Energy Saver tyres.175 65 R15.

I think I'm younger than the mean age..:-)
>> Michelin Energy Saver tyres.175 65 R15.
>>
Ah - that's thrown me, I thought you had an EX - the slightly wider tyres do increase the road noise and it eats its comparatively expensive tyres too quickly.

We're running on 15" wheels I got off eBay and Michelin Alpin winter tyres. I thought I would put the 16" wheels back on in summer but in practice the Alpins work fine and the ride is definitely better. There's more sidewall height to protect the alloy's too!
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Update on honda Jazz CVT bought Quarter 3 2012. - Avant
Clearly apiarists have to beehive themselves behind the wheel....

Madf, didn't your Jazz replace a Yaris? If you believe the road testers, the Yaris is also bland and boring - but my daughter had four 1.3s in a row and we found them quite lively and good to drive, and certainly more interesting than the Jazz that SWMBO had some time ago.

If I'm right in remembering that you had a Yaris, how do they compare? I know that Jazz winds hands down in space and versatility, but I was thinking of the driving experience.
>> Clearly apiarists have to beehive themselves behind the wheel....
>>
>> Madf, didn't your Jazz replace a Yaris? o.
>>
>> If I'm right in remembering that you had a Yaris, how do they compare? I
>> know that Jazz winds hands down in space and versatility, but I was thinking of
>> the driving experience.
>>

Avant
My wife now drives teh Yaris.. which she enjoys.

As far as driving is concerned, the Yaris steering and handling is more driver centric: you have a feeling the car wants to turn, rather than having so much understeer that it's a struggle as in the Jazz.

But the Mark1 Yaris struggles at the rear on bumps: the Jazz suspension is far better.

Jazz braking (Disks all round) is far better than Yaris (disks and drums)..

Yaris much nicer to drive, Jazz more comfortable.. is a sum up.
>> Jazz braking (Disks all round) is far better than Yaris (disks and drums)..
>>

I can't imagine that's down to the rear disks brakes - Jazz seems to barely use them. It's a well known issue that the disks corrode and look terrible. Ours is used for running around every day but they were so bad Honda changed them at 3yrs FOC. The dealer said it was a bit pointless as the new ones would go the same way, and they have.

None of our other cars do this - they all have shiny rear disks. I can leave the Merc for 2-3 weeks and they'll be rusty as anything but clean up completely after a couple of decent stops.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 1 Aug 14 at 17:26
Although the rear disks will get rusty after washing or garaged when wet, they shine up in use.

I suspect the front/rear balance has been changed to give more rear braking - and fewer complaints
Latest Forum Posts