Motoring Discussion > Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris Buying / Selling
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 17

Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - bathtub tom
I've had the Almera for eight years, it's coming up for its eleventh birthday and I'm thinking about changing it.

I reckon the Yaris looks most likely. 1.3, petrol, 5-door, manual most basic model.

I need to transport the grandkids on an irregular basis, so need to a couple of kiddie seats in the back - without them kicking the back of my seat! I like the idea of a sliding rear seat, it would be useful for the occasional adults too. I presume they still have that facility, I can't seem to find out on-line, but a brochure's on its way.

I'd go for a basic model (Icon) as all I really want is air-con and I'm not really bothered about the other 'bells and whistles'. I'd prefer steel wheels, but they're only available on the 1.0 litre models.

Brokers are listing them new from £11100, although I'd consider up to 2-3 year old.

Any advice/comments welcomed.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Runfer D'Hills
Can't advise you re the Yaris but for what it's worth, I've regretted downsizing cars when I've done that.

Your budget would buy quite a good, in fact a very good, mildly second hand Qashqai which might be a more natural replacement for your Almera?

Unless of course you particularly want a smaller car?

Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Manatee
How about this for £10k?

www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604471100

2014 Roomster SE, manual 1.2TSI, 15 recorded miles.

Sorry bt, I'm a bit Roomster-minded just now. Excellent rear leg room though, they'll not be able to kick you from there.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Runfer D'Hills
In fact they may not get in it at all.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Manatee
It'll be character-building.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Focusless
Have you considered a Fiesta BT? Just looking at What Car? and FWIW they rate it at 5* compared to the Yaris's 3*. And the Ecoboost 100 Zetec, which is their 'pick of the range', is £11261 at drivethedeal, although you have to add £850 to that if you don't take out some sort of pcp finance package. Don't know what you'd pay used.

www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/toyota/yaris-hatchback/summary/26028-5
www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/ford/fiesta-hatchback/summary/25846-5
www.drivethedeal.com/
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Focusless
>> Don't know what you'd pay used.

£10.8k for a 2013 with 12k miles:
www.trade-sales.co.uk/used-cars/search-results?make=FORD&model=FIESTA
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - CGNorwich
Latest Yaris doesn't have sliding rear seat. Has slightly bigger boot than the version it replaced and Toyota say that's why they ditched the sliding seat.

My son has one. It has reasonable amount of rear leg room - more that the Fiesta or Polo and if you want a small car with good leg room then its a good choice and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 18 Jun 14 at 23:13
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Auristocrat
The Yaris is currently on its third generation, and the basic model is currently the Active (list price £9995 otr). The Icon is the next model up, comes with air con and has the larger 1.33 petrol engine - not the 1.0 litre.
Bear in mind that the mid-life facelift has been announced, so there may be reasonable deals on the current car.
Should've said I've ruled out anything French (I know, my Almera's got a Renault engine, but I didn't know when I bought it, or about the chocolate cam-chain). Similar no-no's apply to VAG and Vauxhall, because what I've read and experienced about them.

SWMBO's decreed she wants something smaller (sigh, should've kept the Pride). Fiestas seem to fetch a helluva premium, although I'd go for a 2-litre - if they did one.

Shame about the sliding rear seat, although HJ says rear legroom's good.

I was very impressed with the Twingo (decades ago now) when I hired one and would've willingly bought one new if they'd been available RHD (despite my reservations about French cars).

I like the idea about it being face-lifted soon, I prefer well tested versions.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Alastairw
Not forgetting the Yaris is actually French built are we, BT?
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - Alanovich
For rear legroom, you need a VW Phaeton.

Yaris schmaris.
I've been pointed towards KIA Venga. Seen one 'in the metal' and I'm quite impressed. I quite like the look of the (one up from poverty version) 1 Air. It's got 15" steel wheels (high profile tyres), 5-speed gearbox (SWMBO rarely manages fifth at the moment - I don't know how she'd cope with another gear), air-con, but only a 1.4 litre engine.

I can't understand why the larger engine models, with more power and torque, need an extra gear.

It's proving difficult to get back-to-back test drives in a 1.4 and 1.6. Anyone any experience of the 1.4. If so I'd appreciate your opinion about it being under-powered.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - WillDeBeest
...although HJ says rear legroom's good.

HJ claims to be 5'9", which means he's probably 5'7". Not a man to advise on legroom.
I've just seen a '13 reg Yaris 1.3 TR with 11K miles at a local dealer.

£8.5K.

It sounds too cheap to me. One previous owner - hire car company.

It had its engine running when I saw it because the battery was flat (they said).

Opinions?
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - madf
Beware of any car warmed up or running when you see it..

Buy]t a 13 plate should have 4 years Toyota warranty left...assuming it is a UK car and not a grey import..
Done some 'digging' on this Yaris.

It was first registered June 2013 and subsequently serviced by a Ford dealer April this year.

I presume that means I need receipts to prove genuine Toyota parts were used to maintain the remainder of Toyota's 5-year warranty?
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Mon 23 Jun 14 at 19:38
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - I'm thinking of buying a Yaris - madf
I assume so. You could always get a Toyota dealer to service it again..
Latest Forum Posts