Motoring Discussion > Honda - good bye jazz
Thread Author: sajid Replies: 24

Honda - good bye jazz - sajid
Fri the 13th I picked up a 59 reg civic a 2.2 ex, and I traded in my Honda jazz, which I have kept for over 4 years.

My impressions of the civic, well its fast, torquey, and also I have noticed that unlike my jazz, where motorist want to overtake you, they keep a respected distance away from me.

its a 6 speed so It took some time to get used to a 6 speeder, I bought of a Honda dealer with a good part exchange price and got a full tank of fuel and 12 months tax, mot, and also it had a service as well.

its rides like a jazz, I wanted a ex cos of the parking sensors, its also bigger than the jazz, wider, so got more space, where I used to slot the jazz in when parking space is a premium, I had to be more careful when parking with the civic, the reverse sensors help a lot.

kind of miss the old girl, been reliable, but it had its issues, a abs modulator got changed, a car battery replaced but when you got wife and a little baby, you need more space hence my reason for upgrading to the civic.

I got a service plan for the civic got quoted £21 per month for a 4 year plan, which I think is reasonable as it included the mot as well, one of the plan a Honda 12 plus, includes the diesel fuel filter.

I was paying 18 per month for the jazz so 3 pounds more I thought it be more.

well I see how it goes
 Honda - good bye jazz - Meldrew
What does one get in a £240 a year servicing plan?
 Honda - good bye jazz - Clk Sec
From Jazz to Civic should take 10 years off your age.

Well, five at least...
 Honda - good bye jazz - ....
I wouldn't go that far. My FiL drove a Civic, he was in his 80's. My MiL in her 70's drives a Jazz.
lol probably put some labels i.e type r that probably reduce the age a lot!, one of the service includes the fuel filter the plan includes mot fee as well, they follow what the servicing schedule
Last edited by: sajid on Sun 15 Jun 14 at 14:46
 Honda - good bye jazz - CGNorwich
Why is the Jazz perceived as an old duffers car? Have driven one abroad as a hire car and found it quite good to drive and very practical but quite honestly would be put off buying one by the image.

Honda - good bye jazz - Clk Sec
Don't be put off, CGN. The Jazz drivers that I know are all retired professionals - not a duffer amongst them.
 Honda - good bye jazz - Armel Coussine
>> put off by the image.

Tsk, honestly CGN, what image? Jazz is a neat, ingenious, practical small Honda with the jewel-like mechanicals that implies.

So what if ignorant vulgarians think you are an old buffer? Apart from the fact that you probably are one, why do you give a damn?

Seems wimpish to me. But then I owned and greatly enjoyed (most of the time) a succession of Skoda Estelles. I'd have one now as a pet if I found a nice one I could afford.
 Honda - good bye jazz - madf
I have a Jazz: the beauty of it is the practicality.. (luggage hooks in cargo bay and instant folding seat.)

As for being an old duffer, I guess if keeping to speed limits is being an old duffer, then I am..

But then there are duffers and duffers. I took my across the road neighbours - in their 80s- to collect a new wheelchair on Saturday.. it fitted well into the boot. I'm not that old...:-)

It also carries beekeeping equipment and hives of bees easily...

Image? "Frankly my dear, I could not give a damn"..
Or more succintly "I don't give a #### what others think"
Last edited by: madf on Sun 15 Jun 14 at 16:01
 Honda - good bye jazz - CGNorwich
"So what if ignorant vulgarians think you are an old buffer? Apart from the fact that you probably are one, why do you give a damn? "

Well to a degree I don't but I do try to avoid beige clothing, wearing socks and sandals talking endlessly about medication and towing caravans and a Jazz seems to go with the package. :-)

To be honest I don't think a Jazz would really suit my needs as I tend to drive quite long distance and I don't think a Jazz is great car on a motorway. If I was buying a small city car the one I would go for of or is the Skoda Citygo . Hired one of those last year and found it great fun
>> To be honest I don't think a Jazz would really suit my needs as I tend to drive quite long distance and I don't think a Jazz is great car on a motorway.

No. It's quite low geared I think to provide traffic flexibility, so a bit busy sounding over 60. It also has quite firm suspension without being really sporting.

I like the look of the new Renault Twingo just announced: 3 cylinder engines in the boot, one turbocharged. Sounds like my kind of small rocket sled. You wouldn't mind if it had firm suspension but it probably hasn't! Woof woof...
Agree: Jazz on motorways can be a pia.. But as I go on them about once a month...
 Honda - good bye jazz - Runfer D'Hills
Every time I think I might get something smaller next time I manage to fill my large estate car with something or other and realise I'd really miss the versatility of having a large loadspace.

It was wood last weekend, garden rubbish this weekend followed by mountain biking kit today and tomorrow it'll be work stuff. I'm not cut out to have a small car I've decided.

Does no one else go to the tip?

;-)

Herself is a demon for the tip. We went there just the other day with a load of cardboard, plastic and electronic rubbish. There's a skip for everything there, clothes, shoes, everything. Only about ten miles away too.

Of course it helps to have a handsome fashionably pastiche-American but really half-German and assembled by those marvellous Turks or is it Germans? which is also an eminently practical large hatchback with fold-down rear seats just as good as having a large estate but not as overbearing or loadsamoneyish...

Heh heh, cough, gasp, sorry Humph I don't know what came over me...
the time i had my jazz it was my 2nd one, to me it filled up what i wanted in a car, small, practical, and reliable.

on the motorway its low geared so the engine revs more like if i was going 70mph in 5th the engine revs are 3500 rpm, now in the civic which is a 2.2 with 6 speeds the car is going 1500 revs, was very surprised by it, the engine is a gem.

but i only do short journeys shops etc, i chose the deisel as its more gutsy, doesnt have the dpf which newer cars do, and cheaper to tax, the road tax is the same as my jazz.

The mark 1 jazz, very underrated car, few that have owned it, will be happy to own it, its been a pleasurable 7 years i been driving a jazz.

Now the civic, it gives me a smile when i drive maybe its a new car thing
Last edited by: sajid on Sun 15 Jun 14 at 18:46
>> the civic, it gives me a smile when i drive maybe its a new car thing

It's a proper car surely sajid, not just a posh shopping trolley.
Actually the Cruiser makes a bit more audible noise in estate mode. Only a little, but it's noticeable.
 Honda - good bye jazz - Runfer D'Hills
Probably best to leave it that mode then, especially with the warmer weather and the likelihood of the windows being open more often. It'll help to drown out the sound of the catcalls and sniggers.

Sorry AC, don't know what came over me...

;-)
There's a lot of it about.
 Honda - good bye jazz - Fenlander
We are still on the fence re car choice for uni daughter but a Jazz would be on my shortlist... neat efficient smart little cars. However while in 6th form daughter worked weekends in the village supermarket and absolutely refuses to be associated with the Jazz/Yaris brigade.
 Honda - good bye jazz - Manatee
>> We are still on the fence re car choice for uni daughter but a Jazz
>> would be on my shortlist... neat efficient smart little cars. However while in 6th form
>> daughter worked weekends in the village supermarket and absolutely refuses to be associated with the
>> Jazz/Yaris brigade.

Funny aren't they?

Relatively expensive though and not cheap to insure for a youngster either. Group 12-14 vs. 1-2 for the Corsa.

Boy didn't complain, but probably didn't see himself in a Panda. However I notice he still has it 8 years later.

Honda - good bye jazz - Bill Payer
>> However while in 6th form
>> daughter worked weekends in the village supermarket and absolutely refuses to be associated with the
>> Jazz/Yaris brigade.
>>
When we got our first Jazz (2003) our older daughter used to hide her face when in it. Now she happily drives it as needed.

Younger daughter was fine with it, but now I'd like her to replace her Mitsubishi Colt with a Jazz (they're pretty well identical in shape) but she's dismissed it as "too posh"!
impressions of the civic compared to the jazz,

more powerful, its a 2.2 deisel
getting better economy, used to fill up £20 per week on my jazz, had the car on fri 13th and dealer filled up full tank, so it still 75percent full.
more toys leather seats, parking sensors, refrigerated glovebox, usb sockets etc.
more space,
road tax the same as the jazz, insurance i paid just £69 over my jazz, the steering feel is tight and the car grips like its on rails.
love driving it, any excuse i take the keys and drive it, didnt do that on my jazz tho
can be chipped or modded or can be a type r look a like

negative points

the brakes could do with more bite, the jazz has sharper brakes,
no wiper at the back, but got used to the rear visibility as the oversized mirrors help
i still drive it like i drive my jazz, change to 3rd early, so still need to get used to the deisel torque and power.
Reactions to other motorists, is it me or it seems like some motorist ie vw golfs gt or audi a3 or 4 tend to drive faster but i still keep up with them, didnt happen like that when i was driving the jazz.
possible future clutch replacement, although its done just 41k it the clutch lifespan may be around 80 to 100k so its £600 from honda

Honda - good bye jazz - Manatee
>> possible future clutch replacement, although its done just 41k it the clutch lifespan may be
>> around 80 to 100k so its £600 from honda

I had a CRV with the 2.2 iCTDI engine (not the DTEC, though the clutch may be the same).

The clutch started slipping at about 60,000 miles IIRC. I am kind to clutches and have never worn one out, so I couldn't believe it was just wear. It had never shown any other misbehaviour or signs of judder so with nothing to lose I guessed it might just have been glazed, and roasted it to see what happened. It cured it for maybe 25,000 miles, and when it happened again I restored it in the same way. Sold it at 95,000 miles, on the original clutch, with no slip.

Maybe it had a slight fluid or oil contamination, or another problem, maybe not. I put it down to my ultra-kind driving style that 'polished' rather than wore away the lining, but as it didn't come out I'll never know.

Corrosion of flywheel/drive plates can be an issue due to condensation...Slipping the clutch will wear away any such rust (see disk brakes).
Latest Forum Posts