Motoring Discussion > Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 16

Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27746483

Nearly 25,000 drivers have been caught speeding on the Dartford Crossing since new speed cameras were installed.

The future way of paying
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27102777
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - bathtub tom
I've never been there when it wasn't a stop - start crawl!
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Avant
You have to look quite hard for advantages of living near Reading, but one of them is that I never have to use the Dartford crossing.
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - WillDeBeest
You have to look quite hard for advantages of living near Reading...

Ah, Avant, if you've been paying attention you'll know that your mistake - and mine - is to live merely near Reading. For the town itself, 'paradise' is not too strong a word. Apparently.

I saw more of Winnersh on Sunday than I'd intended. Still couldn't see the appeal.
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Alanovich
That's in Wokingham.

Dump.

:-)
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Pat
>> That's in Wokingham.
>>
>> Dump.
>>
>> :-)

I thought it was really posh when I used to deliver to the garden centre down Heathlands Road. My cursing wasn't trying to get in and out of those gates.

Pat
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Haywain
My son has just moved to Swanley, but I don't think he's quite 'local' enough to get the discounted rate.

I understand, and maybe someone can confirm this, that if you buy a DartTag, then you get a discounted rate (a third off?), and that 10pm-6am remains toll-free.
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Duncan
>> My son has just moved to Swanley, but I don't think he's quite 'local' enough
>> to get the discounted rate.
>>
>> I understand, and maybe someone can confirm this, that if you buy a DartTag, then
>> you get a discounted rate (a third off?), and that 10pm-6am remains toll-free.
>>

Are they proposing a local resident rate?

Isn't that illegal under EU legislation?
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Dulwich Estate
If you don't have the tag you can pay on the net up to 24 hours later - so there's no stopping you getting through.

Just think of all those pesky foreigners (lovely people really, I'm sure) driving south across the river on their way home via Dover. An hour and 15 minutes later they are out of the UK.

How many will pay up within 24 hours I wonder ?
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Roger.
Tolls are wrong on roads/ bridges paid for out of taxation.
There is no logical case for opposing tolls on completely privately funded roads/bridges: I'd still avoid them though.
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Dulwich Estate
The really annoying thing about Dartford is that we were told that the tolls were to cover the cost of building the tunnel / bridge and that when the costs had been covered the toll would be dropped.

We've paid a few times over now and they've found excuse after excuse not to drop them. The last one was that they helped avoid congestion - yeah, all vehicles stopping for 20 seconds to drop money in the bins.
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Boxsterboy
>> Just think of all those pesky foreigners (lovely people really, I'm sure) driving south across
>> the river on their way home via Dover. An hour and 15 minutes later they
>> are out of the UK.
>>
>> How many will pay up within 24 hours I wonder ?
>>

Very few, I suspect!

Note that we too will soon have to pay for using German autobahns, along the lines of a Swiss-style vignette. That will be hard for to enforce, unlike in Switzerland with its fewer well-policed entry points. They don't bother with your passport - just check to see if you've got a vignette.
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Pat
>>Very few, I suspect!<<

Me too Boxterboy.

There's a very good series of specs cameras both at the tunnel and all the way down both the M2 and M20.

There's a VOSA checkpoint at Ashford which is always busy and also one on the A2 just south of Canterbury.

Fixed penalties can now be demanded from foreign (can I say that ?!) drivers with a PIN machine by VOSA and with immobilisation if they fail to have a card to pay with.

I can't see them letting that nice source of income go by, can you? .....and neither should they.

Pat
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - Haywain
"Are they proposing a local resident rate? Isn't that illegal under EU legislation?"

I don't know what the EU thinks about it, but that's what's proposed - in fact, it looks as though locals already get a discount …..

"Local residents

Local residents of Dartford and Thurrock will continue to be entitled to discounts on the road user charge."

It is said that it's to aid local delivery folks etc

www.gov.uk/government/news/dart-charge-dartford-crossing-remote-payment
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - jc2
They did stop the tolls-they are now "charges".
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - henry k

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27945805

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23334597

The future views

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26398839
 Dartford crossing. Be aware plus the future. - helicopter
Nearly 25,000 drivers have been caught speeding on the Dartford Crossing since new speed cameras were installed......

Yep - I was one of the 25,000 - doing 57 in a 50 limit - speed awareness course....see my previous Nipped thread.
Latest Forum Posts