Motoring Discussion > Another 'what car to buy' question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 19

Another 'what car to buy' question - Manatee
For my aunt (77) and uncle (84).

They have a 2003 Civic 1.6 auto, owned from new.

They want a car with higher seats and have looked at the Roomster, which they like. The current auto option is a 1.2TSI DSG, and they have been offered one at list with £600px for the Civic.

For starters, DTD quote £1500 discount off the £15.5k list, so that's progress. However.

After a bit of discussion, they think it would be better to find a decent used one - no need to spend £14k when a <10,000m 2013 can be had for c £11k (there aren't many about, but found that on AT). Going slightly older, I'm going to look at a 2009 1.6 'tiptronic' at £6k, under 20,000 miles, Skoda approved, which I think might be better. The main reason they were thinking 'new' is that the autos are hard to find used, and even rarer in Dumfries and Galloway where they live - but there are quite a few within range of where I live and I don't mind finding one for them and sorting it all out.

Prior to the 1.2TSI 105ps DSG, the auto was a 1.6 105ps tiptronic (VW speak I think for a proper auto). The mpg quoted is quite a bit lower, but the difference in outlay will offset that, and I think their mileage will drop a lot from the 14,000 of the last 12 months anyway.

My instinct is that the tip will be better for them than the DSG - it should have a familiar feel, and if buying used I think I'd rather have the tip.

So - am I right to favour the tip?

- any caveats to consider with the Roomster?

- what other cars might suit, if any? Not many slushboxes around now. Jazz is possibly OK but relatively more expensive it seems for the CVT.

Insights welcome (but probably not the Honda Insight).
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 09:13
 Another 'what car to buy' question - Skip
I might be wrong, but I don't think that any VAG car has had a "proper" auto box for some years now. They have either been DSG or CVT which they built "steps" into to make it feel like a TC auto & called it Tiptronic. Neither of which have great reputations for reliability.

I would look at Hyundai IX20 or Kia Venga if I was them. Both have fairly high seating and a proper TC box.
>> I might be wrong, but I don't think that any VAG car has had a
>> "proper" auto box for some years now. They have either been DSG or CVT which
>> they built "steps" into to make it feel like a TC auto & called it
>> Tiptronic. Neither of which have great reputations for reliability.

You might be wrong...but so might I. Car brochures never give any technical detail these days either!

We looked at a Roomster 1.6 auto for the boss a few years ago...the dealer was quite definite about it being a TC+epicyclic that I took his word on it. Also, it was certainly the case that Audi have had tiptronic (proper auto, with sequential position for lever), multitronic (CVT) and DSG. The Skoda was most definitely described as tiptronic.

Any definite information on the Skoda would be helpful.

>>
>> I would look at Hyundai IX20 or Kia Venga if I was them. Both have
>> fairly high seating and a proper TC box.

Good idea, and they wouldn't be averse I think. There's probably no sense in them buying new though, so I'll have to assess the second hand situation. And they do like the Roomster - good space inside I think.
Pretty sure the Roomster 'tiptronic' is a trad auto. Same powertrain in the Fabia in this road test.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/38930/skoda-fabia-3-16-tiptronic

though they don't seem to like it much! That said I have driven a Fabia 1.6 tiptronic and it wasn't bad in my opinion - it was what was available for road test a few years ago when we looked at the Roomster.

Honest John incorrectly says it's a DSG in the 2006 road test, which it most definitely isn't (except on the newer 1.2 TSI ones).

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 15:15
 Another 'what car to buy' question - ....
Suzuki SX4 ?

I was looking for a FIAT Sedici which they are still selling the stock off in Europe at big discounts. They stopped making them last year but the FIATs all appear to be considerably older in the UK.

Suzuki ex-demonstrators on 13 plates are advertised at c.£12k a year older and less than 12k miles is under £10k.

Assuming petrol for the above, diesels are not recommended from what I can make out.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 10:14
>> Suzuki SX4 ?

Looked over a parked one in Moffat this morning. Not many autos about though, and probably CVTs which might be OK. I incline to the trad auto though, nearer to what they are used to.
I suspect you might be on the money with the Skoda.

Even if the Suzuki were a traditional TC auto I suspect the road tax due to emissions might be a tad high with a 1.6 petrol.
£220 VED on the Roomster 1.6 tip, £125 on the 1.2TSI DSG. But not a big deal in the great scheme, when buying at a lower price anyway.

I suppose I should be a bit more open minded about DSG, it's partly that they are unfamiliar to me. Are they proven as to reliability now? Any driving issues?
 Another 'what car to buy' question - Runfer D'Hills
For what little it's worth as a straw poll Manatee, one of our reps had a Passat with a dsg go west at high miles and another colleague had problems with the dsg on her Golf at only 16,000 miles.

I'd not be in a rush to have one or recommend one. Others may say they are fine.

To drive, they're ok, maybe a bit harsher than a slusher but most people ( non car nerds anyway ) might not notice.

Can I lob in a vote for the C-max? Had a hired one in Italy last summer and was really impressed with it for that sort of car.

One of those cars you accidentally end up driving but it comes to you that if you had to use one for a while it'd not be a hardship. That was a manual though. Don't know what the autos are like.
Good call Humph. The C-MAX is a good car BUT (there's that but again) the newer ones are PowerShift (Ford term for DSG). If all is hunky-dory need a gear oil change every third service...
 Another 'what car to buy' question - Lygonos
OPs folks are about to jettison 15 grand on a car - exactly what is the problem with a coupla hundred extra per year on servicing or taxing?

Since they seem intent on driving a car with all the beauty of a gurner with facial burns, how about:

www.new-car-discount.com/car/nissan/juke-hatchback/hatchback/petrol/automatic/1.6-acenta-5dr-xtronic/14/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 18:53
>> OPs folks are about to jettison 15 grand on a car - exactly what is
>> the problem with a coupla hundred extra per year on servicing or taxing?

Absolutely nothing, especially if I can find something in the £6000-£9000 range - fuel consumption much worse on 1.6 tip than 1.2 TSI DSG, but that and the difference between £125 and £220 VED immaterial. Better to get the 'right' car, i.e. as near to the driving characteristics of the Civic as we can, the higher seats, and a good chance of reliability. That's all I'm fussing about anway.

Used makes sense - they don't need a car to last 10+years, realistically. If it turns out they do, it will be a nice problem to have - and I'll find another one, if I'm still around myself!

Removal of unnecessary difficulties comes first, at 80-85 years old. Fortunately both are reasonably active with all marbles present and a positive outlook.
My wife says she wouldn't mind a Juke. Fair enough, she is from Cheshire and things are different here.
 Another 'what car to buy' question - Lygonos
Door mirrors cheaper than a Cashcow?
Quite hard to think of a response to that which doesn't involve swearing.

;-)
 Another 'what car to buy' question - Armel Coussine
Cadillac (a proper big one, not too recent) or Ferrari.

May not make sense exactly, but what one would want so to speak.

Juke schmuke.
 Another 'what car to buy' question - WillDeBeest
... or Ferrari.

Good idea, AC. There are two-pedal (and presumably two-paddle) Ferraris now, aren't there? I mean, if your transmission is going to launch you into a shop window, you want an engine that'll get you right through to pet supplies and garden tools, not leave you half in the street covered in Fathers' Day gift ideas.
};---)
 Another 'what car to buy' question - WillDeBeest
...in fact, here's an idea. Now that Georgie plans to let us blow our pension pots in any way we damn well like, how about models from Ferrari, Lamborghini et al to suit the new market segment? Not just automatics, but the whole ease-of-driving package - and polythene covers on the seats, of course. What else might we want it to include?
>> OPs folks are about to jettison 15 grand on a car - exactly what is
>> the problem with a coupla hundred extra per year on servicing or taxing?
>>
>> Since they seem intent on driving a car with all the beauty of a gurner
>> with facial burns, how about:
>>
>> www.new-car-discount.com/car/nissan/juke-hatchback/hatchback/petrol/automatic/1.6-acenta-5dr-xtronic/14/
>>

Suppose you're right. If enough over 70's keep pressing the wrong pedal in an auto, getting insurance for an over 70 might become more of an issue than for an 18 year old off to Uni.
 Another 'what car to buy' question - BobbyG
Ford B Max
Latest Forum Posts