Motoring Discussion > Breakdown Cover Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 14

Breakdown Cover - maltrap
My son's driving to Cornwall in his 11 year old Golf. So i,m buying him breakdown cover for a year. Can anyone recommend a company, or ones to avoid. Thanks in anticipation.
 Breakdown Cover - Skip
I would recommend Green Flag.
 Breakdown Cover - SmileyNially
Autoaid - for the price and cover. If you have the means of paying for any recovery before you claim of course.

Used them a couple of times. Recovery was great and took less than two weeks for claim to be paid.

Breakdown Cover - movilogo
MSE forum rates AutoAid highly and I use them.

BUT, keep in mind that you have to pay them first for recovery and then claim it back from them.

If you prefer cashless recovery, then Autoaid is not right choice and rather go for AA/RAC/Greenflag etc.

Breakdown Cover - spamcan61
RAC is very cheap if you have Tesco Clubcard points to spend.
RAC don't do basic roadside recovery for cars over 10 years old.
 Breakdown Cover - Slidingpillar
Won't help the lad, but the 10 year bit is not sacrosanct. I got my 1930 Morgan recovered by them after a serious breakage - but to do it, you need to have joined via a club scheme.
 Breakdown Cover - Stuartli
Have you tried clicking on the ad at the top of this page (RescueMyCar.com) when it appears?
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 31 May 14 at 14:28
 Breakdown Cover - Stuartli
See: www.rescuemycar.com/breakdown/?gclid=COKe1_yp1r4CFUTlwgodh4oAmg
 Breakdown Cover - Pezzer
Cheapskate that I am, I bought this (rescuemycar.com) for my son in his 12 yo Polo when he was planning a long journey. Dunno if they are any good as he didnt breakdown. However dont leave it to the last minute as they all have 48hr lead-ins for obvious reasons.
 Breakdown Cover - spamcan61
Not basic roadside assistance no, but roadside + recovery is available on bangers like mine (32 quid in Clubcard vouchers). Now we have 4 drivers in the Spamcan household the Family roadside + recovery for 60 odd quid in vouchers is a jolly good deal IMHO.
 Breakdown Cover - Auristocrat
In the latest Which? report the AA scored highest based on customer satisfaction and performance (arriving at a breakdown within one hour and fixing the vehicle at the roadside).
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Sat 31 May 14 at 15:23
Rescue mycar quoted £24, very reasonable, but it's a company i've not heard of. Have Which assessed them? Martin Lewis recommends buying cover from the AA via Topcashback. You pay the AA £40 then get £15 back from Topcashback (allegedly) Making the cost a bargain £25. Has anyone used Topcashback ?
 Breakdown Cover - Auristocrat
Which? hasn't reviewed Rescue My Car.

The AA and SAGA merged in 2004, to form Acromas Holdings. As regards insurance, the AA acts as a broker and uses a panel of insurers, whereas SAGA uses Acromas Insurance for car insurance, and acts as a broker for home insurance.

Personally I use Toyota Roadside Assistance which costs £66 per year for a range of services (roadside assistance, recovery, at home, onward travel, European roadside assistance).
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Sat 31 May 14 at 22:48
 Breakdown Cover - Dulwich Estate
"In the latest Which? report the AA scored highest based on customer satisfaction and performance (arriving at a breakdown within one hour and fixing the vehicle at the roadside)."

Maybe. But not on price or loyalty to existing customers.

Biggest rip off since SAGA insurance - oops, nearly forgot - it's the same group.
Latest Forum Posts