Motoring Discussion > Why Don't People Read Road Markings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 9

Why Don't People Read Road Markings - Bromptonaut
Out and about again yesterday; Northampton to Wrexham visiting family friends. Planned route was M1>M6>M54>A5>A483.

Approaching M6 J 4 there are multiple lanes, Lane 1 is M42 South. Lane 2 is M42 South AND M6 via Brum, lanes further to right are permutations of M6/M6 toll/M42 north. Being in my asthmatic 1.9 Berlingo and aiming for M6 I'm in lane 2.

So why did WVM tailgate aggressively for quarter mile flashing headlights etc before an exaggerated pass via lane 3, gesticulating as he passes, then veering back to take M42?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 26 May 14 at 00:11
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - No FM2R
Imagine what someone's life has to be like for them to care whether or not they impress, bully or intimidate a stranger in another vehicle with their own butch manliness.

Clearly nobody else cares what they think, is impressed by them, or attributes them any value. All that is left to them is to take their frustration out on strangers and then pretend to themselves that they have strength.

The same person will be down the pub trying over hard telling stories to impress other drinkers with tales of his wildness and strength failing to understand that nobody believes him, cares or values him.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - Runfer D'Hills
Maybe he couldn't read. Maybe he was from a broken home and had psychological issues. Maybe he was just expressing himself in the only way he knows how.

You should be ashamed of yourself Bromp.

;-)

Or...maybe he was just a knob. There are a surprising number of them about, although I do remember reading/hearing somewhere that there are an astonishing number of people living among us who if tested for such things, would definitely be considered as totally stark staring mad. Maybe he was one of them.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - Cliff Pope
Drivers often resent the fact that what they would like to think is the "fast" lane for where they want to go is also the "slow" lane to somewhere else.

There is a long uphill section at the M4/M5 junction where for the M4 you need the middle lane. If you are in a slow vehicle you need to get into it early. Then you get people zooming up it thinking it is the fast lane for the M5. I suppose it is, but only if it is clear.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - Boxsterboy
Many people don't give two hoots about lane markings and will just use whatever lane gets them to their destination quickest. These are generally people in carp cars who can't wait to get to their destination so they can stop driving the things.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - Slidingpillar
The markings on this roundabout are good!
www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.730577,-0.301813,3a,75y,327.64h,95.8t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGDRfR0uX8xgWnUE5JquQFw!2e0

Trouble is, so many people ignore them and change lanes with no signals it is quite a risky place.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - bathtub tom
I reckon it's because these lanes are posted up to a mile before. The majority of drivers seem to think they need to get into whatever lane they need immediately.

A typical situation is the M1 Southbound at the M25 junction. There's usually a caravan of traffic in the inside lane crawling at the speed the the front vehicle. You've got a mile (nearly a minute) to pass them until you find a suitable gap. I've never found it necessary to barge-in at the last moment.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - FocalPoint
Reading this thread, SP, your example immediately came to mind, even before I checked the Google maps link.

It's fairly local to me and I've had the pleasure of driving round that particular roundabout (North Orbital London Colney roundabout, for those who don't know) a couple of times recently.

Most drivers - I suspect the ones who know and use the route frequently - get it right. A few are totally bemused by the whole thing and flounder slowly round, realising they're in the wrong lane at some point.

A few, as has been said above, couldn't give a toss and use whichever lane happens to be free, assuming they can just change willy-nilly later on. If they happen to be alongside a 50-tonne artic at the crucial point that can cause problems.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - IJWS14
All the majority of drivers can do now is pootle along at the same speed and in the same direction as the car in front, they pay no attention to signs or anything else.

There is a roundabout in Lichfield which had lane markings and signing changed while my son was learning to drive. While out with him driving one day I showed him which lane he should be in for the Rugeley (and test centre) exit and why (the big white letters in the lanes). His driving instructor was still telling him to use the other (old) lane. He had an interesting conversation with the instructor the next time they went around the roundabout and the instructor agreed that he had been wrong.

10 years later there are still some drivers who have not noticed the change.
 Why Don't People Read Road Markings - Cliff Pope
The problem with road markings is that at times when the road is busiest and they would be most useful, they are often obscured by vehicles on top of them.
Latest Forum Posts